Divers get sick from BP oil in Gulf of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure if this should be posted in the accident section, but because they are scientific divers.

BP Oil and Corexit Found in Science Diver?s Blood

Seems that some research divers have become contaminated with and absorbed the oil from the BP disaster after filming underwater clouds of the oil that was treated with the dispersant Corexit. Second thoughts about diving the Gulf for a while. :shocked2:

The article reads like they were diving there at the height of the spill (July - Oct) when oil was rolling up onto beaches. I was in the water there in Sept/October and came away fine (Destin/Orange Beach). I would guess going towards LA/MS is worse than AL/FL.

Let me understand your reluctance.

The affected divers were "filming underwater clouds of oil treated with Corexit" back in July and August last year, right?

And you're having "second thoughts about diving the Gulf for a while" since it's only April 2011 now? How much of "a while"? Based on just these oil-filming guys during mid-spill? Any other divers affected, to your (or anyone's) knowledge (meaning rec divers, not those out looking for oil and dispersant during the spill)? Your title makes it sound as though it happened recently.

Me, I'm going diving off Pensacola and Orange beach, just as I did last fall. I feel fine, thanks.

Not sure if this should be posted in the accident section, but because they are scientific divers.

BP Oil and Corexit Found in Science Diver?s Blood

Seems that some research divers have become contaminated with and absorbed the oil from the BP disaster after filming underwater clouds of the oil that was treated with the dispersant Corexit. Second thoughts about diving the Gulf for a while. :shocked2:

Well now ... there's a damn surprise. I recall watching some of those videos and thinking to myself ... "those guys are probably gonna be birthin' some two-headed babies in a coupla years" ... they had to know they were immersing themselves in some seriously nasty stuff at the time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I certainly questioned the wisdom of the divers who went in the water during the spill and weren't wearing hazmat gear.

You can look up the MSDS for the dispersants online, nasty stuff.

And these were scientific divers? It's horrible that they got sick, but they should have damn well known the risks of diving into oil and Corexit.

The article reads like they were diving there at the height of the spill (July - Oct) when oil was rolling up onto beaches. I was in the water there in Sept/October and came away fine (Destin/Orange Beach). I would guess going towards LA/MS is worse than AL/FL.

Thats correct. I was there October (Panama City) everything was perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom