Divers get sick from BP oil in Gulf of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats correct. I was there October (Panama City) everything was perfect.

Same here. From what I could gather from the locals, the spill never reached them, but they still suffered near catostrophic financial losses due to the shock and awe tactics of the media. The major media outlets demonstrated just how irresponsible they can be during all of that...driving away tourism for many areas for no good reason. I'm not typically one to jump up and scream for lawsuits, but I believe I would love to see the media outlets get taken to the cleaners over the mess they created for areas that were never directly affected by the spill.

Same here. From what I could gather from the locals, the spill never reached them, but they still suffered near catostrophic financial losses due to the shock and awe tactics of the media. The major media outlets demonstrated just how irresponsible they can be during all of that...driving away tourism for many areas for no good reason. I'm not typically one to jump up and scream for lawsuits, but I believe I would love to see the media outlets get taken to the cleaners over the mess they created for areas that were never directly affected by the spill.

I agree. I tried calling to get a room in July or maybe Aug. but the rate was the same price. I was hoping for a lower rate based on them desperate for the tourism money.

I'm wondering how much oil is required to be present to possibly affect health? Only a massive spill like in the Gulf or how about even small amounts of oil seeping out of a shipwreck? I'm thinking of the "America" on the U.S. side from Brockville. There is a fair bit of oil inside the wreck and scattered small oil patches around it. The oil starting seeping right out of the holds a few years ago and penetration became discouraged.

Can small amounts of oil in the area present a health risk to divers?

Not sure if this should be posted in the accident section, but because they are scientific divers.

BP Oil and Corexit Found in Science Diver?s Blood

Seems that some research divers have become contaminated with and absorbed the oil from the BP disaster after filming underwater clouds of the oil that was treated with the dispersant Corexit. Second thoughts about diving the Gulf for a while. :shocked2:
I have worked in the oil industry for the last 30 years and have had had raw crude oil all over myself many times and didn't get sick from it,If these divers got sick it was from the corexit and probably not the oil unledd they got some in their mouths and swallowed it.

Interesting that the article refers to Corexit "Corexit is a highly carcinogenic substance."

Looking further into it, OSHA, et. al., do not consider it to be a carcinogen.

Beware of junk science.

Not saying those guys didn't get sick or that Corexit isn't fairly nasty, but I start to question the integrity of the article when you come across statements like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom