Divers - Let your voices be heard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone on the island is encouraged to attend a Town Hall meeting TONIGHT (Tuesday, Sept 6) at 5pm at the Palacio.

This meeting is with Government officials, the ITU Triathlon race organizers and the tour operators, employees, tourists, etc. who will be affected if marina access is partially or fully blocked from tour operators (fishing, diving, snorkeling) for next week's Triathlon.

Previous communications over the past several months and requests to change the route have been ignored by Govt. and race officials, I guess they thought we (operators and staff) would go away! They finally started taking us seriously a couple of weeks ago - now it's down to the wire!

All are welcome and encouraged to attend!

shared it on the radio station FB page & CZM4U ...

Is it correct that in the past the port was closed to fishing, snorkeling and diving for the entire Triathlon schedule ? If so, how many days does this timeframe cover ?

Double S

I think there is no good reason for it to be closed after the last swimmer finishes which should not be too late. I hope some of those involved understand that simple fact. As for us we leave the marina before 7 am anyway and will park our back up boats at the Aldora Pier as long as need be.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

...and the tour operators, employees, tourists, etc. who will be affected if marina access is partially or fully blocked from tour operators (fishing, diving, snorkeling)...

That sounds like a lot of people. If I understand correctly, some of these people rely on tips as a substantial part of their income, and some operations run of rather slim profit margins. Being knocked out of work a few days is a big deal for some people.

So even now, about a week out, it's still uncertain whether & how long this thing is going to shut things down?

A question brought up in a past thread on the subject; is there any sort of public calendar, schedule or what-have-you that warns dive tourists when the harbor is apt to be closed for however many days? If somebody wants to take a 1 week trip to Cozumel and dive, how do they ensure they're not going to get knocked out of diving by man-made obstacles (given that the weather is always a wild card)?

Richard.

I think there is no good reason for it to be closed after the last swimmer finishes which should not be too late. I hope some of those involved understand that simple fact. As for us we leave the marina before 7 am anyway and will park our back up boats at the Aldora Pier as long as need be.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Someone is not paying attention. Dave I would invite you to join the rest of the dive shop/tour op Owners who have been fighting this battle. There is so much more to it than a short closure during the swimand simply getting your boats out early is not going to solve all of the issues we are facing - yes, we've ALL already planned on that AS ONE contingency, but there's more to it. Join us Wednesday morning at 9am in the Administrative offices of Fonatur to understand the bigger picture and hear solutions.

Update: we had a long And I think forward moving meeting tonight with Director of Tourism, Director of Secretario del ayuntamiento (Asst to the mayor) and Director of Transit - many revelations tonight - ITU organizers have basically bulldozed over the local government - but Federal Law is on our side - another meeting on Thursday morning with State Government officials, local government, ITU race organizers, and tour operators - it's not over yet - but optimistic that things will work out the way they are supposed to! Dive shops represented tonight by actual owners in no particular order: aquatic sports, blue bubble/scuba Shack, blue XT~Sea, Tortuga Carey, H2O, Blue Project, Tres Pelicanos, Deep Blue, Bottom Time, Living Underwater, Chuco Divers - sorry if I missed anyone but thanks to all who came and shared ideas, solutions, concerns, different view points - thanks to the local officials who
Gave us their undivided attention, thanks to the press for showing up too!

Partially true Sue -
Is it correct that in the past the port was closed to fishing, snorkeling and diving for the entire Triathlon schedule ? If so, how many days does this timeframe cover ?

Double S
Partially true Sue, but that WON'T happen! We actually have Harbor Master on our side as well and he has explicitly said that it is against federal
Law for access to the marina be blocked and he will not and has not authorized this for race organizers - nor have they received proper permitting in other areas.

I'll just add - why would race officials choose to have their athletes swim in toxic water??? Especially after KNOWN health issues after last years race - diesel, oil, gasoline, fecal
Matter, and crocs!

Thanks for the update. I hope it all works out for a positive outcome for all.

Double S

I loved the map one or two plans ago, where the Fonatur Marina was now the Cozumel Triathlon Park. Its like magic! Poof! Triathlon Park. Swim in the un-vented marina and run laps on the roads. Classy! That is even worse than when they said POOF its a marina!

While we are at it, POOF take half the old road because 3 bicycles a day use it...... :rant:

Look at all those tents at Fonatur.....

Can't build a parking lot, but when the ITU shows up, BOOM parking lot....

fonatur itu1.jpg
fonatur itu2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom