Divers - Let your voices be heard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't give ME credit! This was a collaborative effort among many shops and people - I say good job to everyone who participated and helped make these successful negotiations possible for the island's sake - for all sectors of tourism and the island in general!

Also good for the athletes - they will be swimming in the ocean!!!!

Did the subject of the nasty marina waters come up in this process?

The Update:

As mentioned previously, we had a very successful outcome this morning to the situation tour operators were facing with logistics for next week's ITU World Cup Triathlon. It was a win/win for all parties and everyone who participated expressed how pleased they were with the outcome. Both sides made concessions that will work providing the least amount of imposition to the operators and athletes while still benefiting island tourism as a whole.

In attendance were 20ish Dive Shop/Snorkeling/Fishing Owners, The Mayor of Cozumel and his panel, The Director of Tourism for Q. Roo, Director of Tourism for Cozumel, The Director of Transit, The Harbor Master, Marine Park Director, Directors of APIQroo which manages piers, marinas, etc. as well as various other local government officials and of course the race directors/organizers for ITU.

I'll add that I was very impressed with the willing attitudes who showed up on both sides to come to a reasonable resolution, including the ITU Directors, they were extremely sensitive and responsive to our needs and requests - in return, tour operators made reasonable and fair concessions. It was a long meeting, so I will only summarize here the pertinent points.

1. The swim route for all events except the PRO swim have been modified and will be held at Paradise reef. An entry and exit ramp has been installed for the swimmers to enter Paradise reef from the north end of Fonatur.
  2. Boats access will not be blocked with the following exceptions for the Elite PRO level swims which will have a start in Paradise reef and exit in the marina on Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons after most boats are already back in from morning trips, and before they return from afternoon trips.
  3. Access to the Marina parking lot for operators to load and unload tanks and equipment has been adjusted, but will require proper planning on the part of each operator as there will be windows with no access in or out of the marina during the bike/run portion of the events - a schedule has been distributed for the operators and should not affect divers- let your individual operator handle this and trust them to handle their own logistics.
  4. Arrangements have been made with Meridiano and Lin Mar for tank delivery
  5. Access will be available during the windows of closed street access to the marina but anyone wishing to gain access to the marina during these windows will need to add additional time - race organizers are providing shuttles from designated locations during these hours which vary from day to day - but are ALL published and completely manageable for operators.
  6. If you are staying in one of the resorts south of the Marina, there will be windows of time during the bike portion of the races when you will not be able to get to town from your hotel or vice versa. The longest windows are 2 hours. I will try to get the list of those closures to post here. It will only critically affect those needing to get to the airport so planning will be necessary.
That is it in a nutshell. Please don't ask me any questions about how your dive shop will be handling logistics because I cannot answer these questions for other dive shops. Each shop will be deciding how they will run logistics based on what they have going on each day. All I can tell you is that everything is manageable form the tour operators point now, so there should be no problems with proper planning.

I also encourage you NOT to bombard your dive op with questions about this - I am certain that each dive shop will notify their divers for the week of logistics for meeting the boat, etc.

This is actually a very good thing for the island, especially now that a very amiable solution for all has been reached and the bonus, athletes will actually get to swim in the beautiful clear waters at Paradise vs. the toxic marina water.

Also, for all who are on the island, there will be a Parade of Nations on Wednesday the 14th at 6pm downtown on the waterfront. The ITU World Cup Triathlon is actually a HUGE deal - the Triathlon Olympians will be here as well. This is bigger than Ironman and it's a once in a decade event for the island. AS I said before, we were NEVER against the event - only the logistics and planning (or lack thereof) of the event.

SO everyone here is happy - don't stress about this and let your Dive OP worry about the logistics. Just show up and enjoy your vacation and your diving!!!

"See you on the Boat!"

1. If you are staying in one of the resorts south of the Marina, there will be windows of time during the bike portion of the races when you will not be able to get to town from your hotel or vice versa.
I assume that in a pinch they could still go around the other way via the east side of the island.

more from the press:

High-level athletes

COZUMEL, 7 September.- high level athletes, including five awarded medals in the last Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, will be in Cozumel next week to take part in the World Triathlon.
It is not easy to land a event this magnitude in any tourist destination in the world, having strong competition from major venues like Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates; in Yokohama, Japan; Stockholm, Sweden; Hamburg, Germany;and Edmonton, Canada, which Cozumel is embedded in the exclusive list of destinations that host the World Triathlon.
Data issued by the organizers is that from 11 to 18 September will be taking part in the various competitions the figure 6 thousand athletes, many of them high performance in the Elite categories of men 's and women branches, sub 23 also in the two divisions.
Among the prominent names is that of the American Gwen Jorgensen 30 years of age, than in past games Olympic made in Brazil won the gold medal in the triathlon of the women's and Saturday September 17 will be taking part in the circuit of 1.5 km swim, 40 km bike and 10 km marathon, all in the . Marina Cozumel at 15:30 pm
Another competitor who will be present at Cozumel, is the British Victoria Frances Holland, also 30; it ended in the last Olympic Games in third place, agenciándose the bronze medal in the category.
In the women 's branch, the most notable absentee will be the Swiss Nicola Spirig who in the Olympic Games in London in 2012 was the absolute winner, and was second in the Olympics held in South America.
in the male branch, two of the competitors who made the one, two in Rio de Janeiro, they are the brothers Alistair Brownlee and Jonathan Brownlee who won the gold medal and silver, respectively in the last triathlon competition in Brazilian lands and Sunday September 18 will be participating in Cozumel looking to win back a place on the podium.
Similarly add to the two mentioned above, the competitor of South African origin Henri Shoeman, who in the last Olympic games he won the bronze medal behind the Brownlee brothers, so that the participation of the three men who climbed the podium in Brazil is guaranteed.
the venues for this World Triathlon change every year, which for it was rerun in Quintana Roo lands will be some years, in fact the latest, so to speak specialty world championship was held in Cancun in 2002.

Good for other businesses also:

hotel reservations, exhausted

COZUMEL, September 7. Receptionists small hotels downtown are eager to arrive over the weekend to rally the occupation of the accommodation centers where they work, because after a dramatic decline summer that remained was noted some cases up to 30 percent; however, have yet managed reservations for nine to 19 September can reach sellout in hotels.
This information was provided by the receptionists of some independent hotels to the Association of Hotels Cozumel (AHC) which counts 21 centers various hotel chains, while in the case of small centers hosting more than 20 buildings are reported.
During a tour conducted by the Por Esto! these centers, allowed to know that most of them already have reservations for rooms starting this weekend, which will allow the occupation is high. At least agreed the manager on duty Hotel Flamingos, which to date have occupied the building by 40 percent, but it is expected that from this Saturday begins to pick up the occupation.
In Eden, Virgin Santamaria Vivas hotel, commissioned in turn, said that for these days are only available nine rooms before the weekend, because 12 to 17 of this month, and closed the reservations which are expected to reach one hundred percent.
Meanwhile in Plaza Cozumel the receptionist Gilberto Caamal said they are already at 80 percent occupancy and expected that from Friday to achieve hundred percent that will prevail until Sunday 18 September.
Meanwhile, Priscila Ciau, in charge of hotel Agave Azul, said 19 rooms, 60 percent are also busy starting next Monday, September 12, already have reservations that will allow reach one hundred percent for a week.
Unlike the others , Maria assumption Moo, head of the hotel Saolima said offer 18 rooms at a good price, but remain 20 percent today, but also hope the situation will change next week when it estimated, arriving competitors World Cup Triathlon to be held in Cozumel for a week.

Did the subject of the nasty marina waters come up in this process?

Apparently PRO swimmers are not bothered by swimming in fossil fuel residue or the other mystery ingredients that make up Fonatur water. And they are finishing there, too, so they can get out with that nice oily sheen. Do these PRO swimmers model like body builders? The sheen might look good. :facepalm:

An another question: Why does only the Mayor get snacks?

mayorchristi.jpg

And does that prime seat down front cost more? :rolleyes:

And since I am going to be there.... (Go me! :shakehead:) Do I get it that there won't be parking for me at Fonatur? :laughrant: Can I bribe someone to park at Caleta? I am not sure I am getting that.

On the bright side there should be good deals on Hollandaise sauce, at there won't be an egg white to be found that week.... :stirpot:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom