Divers - Let your voices be heard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, we believe that every dive shop can do a work around, just like we all do at Carnival and the Ironman. It is surely not a backbreaking inconvenience for any of us

Please elaborate on what sort of work arounds are likely to be done, not just for Aldora but other op.s. I'm from the perspective of a recreational diver who considers Cozumel amongst a range of other dive tourist destination options, as I think this answer will be of interest to many.

Divers on-island for the week this happens; how will their schedule be different those days? Will they miss dives?

Richard.

AS Christi said, we "all" have contingency plans and will live through it better-- than the local people would in its absence.

PS Every shop will have different ways to deal with it, I can't elaborate on others.

The End

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Last edited:
Does it have to be all or nothing? It would seem Christi's point of taking everyone into account is a good one. And doing what you can to keep people from swimming in Fonatur is another good idea for everyone! Ewww.....

And progress continues on the tent city in Fonatur:

fonatur itu4.jpg
fonatur itu3.jpg

More from the press:

Looks like it is not going to be happening every year.

High-level athletes

COZUMEL, 7 September.- high level athletes, including five awarded medals in the last Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, will be in Cozumel next week to take part in the World Triathlon.
It is not easy to land a event this magnitude in any tourist destination in the world, having strong competition from major venues like Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates; in Yokohama, Japan; Stockholm, Sweden; Hamburg, Germany;and Edmonton, Canada, which Cozumel is embedded in the exclusive list of destinations that host the World Triathlon.
Data issued by the organizers is that from 11 to 18 September will be taking part in the various competitions the figure 6 thousand athletes, many of them high performance in the Elite categories of men 's and women branches, sub 23 also in the two divisions.
Among the prominent names is that of the American Gwen Jorgensen 30 years of age, than in past games Olympic made in Brazil won the gold medal in the triathlon of the women's and Saturday September 17 will be taking part in the circuit of 1.5 km swim, 40 km bike and 10 km marathon, all in the . Marina Cozumel at 15:30 pm
Another competitor who will be present at Cozumel, is the British Victoria Frances Holland, also 30; it ended in the last Olympic Games in third place, agenciándose the bronze medal in the category.
In the women 's branch, the most notable absentee will be the Swiss Nicola Spirig who in the Olympic Games in London in 2012 was the absolute winner, and was second in the Olympics held in South America.
in the male branch, two of the competitors who made the one, two in Rio de Janeiro, they are the brothers Alistair Brownlee and Jonathan Brownlee who won the gold medal and silver, respectively in the last triathlon competition in Brazilian lands and Sunday September 18 will be participating in Cozumel looking to win back a place on the podium.
Similarly add to the two mentioned above, the competitor of South African origin Henri Shoeman, who in the last Olympic games he won the bronze medal behind the Brownlee brothers, so that the participation of the three men who climbed the podium in Brazil is guaranteed.
the venues for this World Triathlon change every year, which for it was rerun in Quintana Roo lands will be some years, in fact the latest, so to speak specialty world championship was held in Cancun in 2002.

Does it have to be all or nothing? It would seem Christi's point of taking everyone into account is a good one. And doing what you can to keep people from swimming in Fonatur is another good idea for everyone! Ewww.....

I'm with Christi on this one, the dive industry should stop thinking individually and start thinking like the taxi union does. Here's a good parallel thought - if this was about closing something the taxi's needed how quietly would they go along with it! Dive shops should think a little bit bigger and a bit further down the road. They need to not just think about this event but the next one and what comes next? The death of a thousand cuts starts with the first few cuts and those who say, no big deal... thinking all they need to do is survive the first one and that will be the end are the ones who regret it later. Dive shops should get organized politically before it's too late. They need some local political influence on their side to have some horsepower on the island. Nobody in the dive industry knows nobody???? Who organized the taxis? Maybe the dive shops can go the same way, or even work out a way to form another union that works under the taxi union. Cozumel won't be the first place that was put on the map with diving and the diving ends up being just a footnote as the place keeps growing and developing.

Last edited:
I'm with Christi on this one, the dive industry should stop thinking individually and start thinking like the taxi union does. Here's a good parallel thought - if this was about closing something the taxi's needed how quietly would they go along with it! Dive shops should think a little bit bigger and a bit further down the road. They need to not just think about this event but the next one and what comes next? The death of a thousand cuts starts with the first few cuts and those who say, no big deal... thinking all they need to do is survive the first one and that will be the end are the ones who regret it later. Dive shops should get organized politically before it's too late. They need some local political influence on their side to have some horsepower on the island. Nobody in the dive industry knows nobody???? Who organized the taxis? Maybe the dive shops can go the same way, or even work out a way to form another union that works under the taxi union. Cozumel won't be the first place that was put on the map with diving and the diving ends up being just a footnote as the place keeps growing and developing.
As I understand it the new Mayor takes over at the end of the month and her father works in the local dive industry so hopefully she is sympathetic to the needs and issues of the dive industry in the future. This may also be making the current situation worse due to political paralysis as both the mayor and the state governments are in the process of changing leadership and political parties at the end of the month.

I am happy to report that the meeting was VERY SUCCESSFUL! It's actually a win/win for all involved. the race coordinators were extremely accommodating after they realized the impact and have made some route changes and accommodations for the tour operators who work out of the marina - as well as road closures, etc. in general.

THIS was our goal - to find solutions for everyone - and it was successful - it does not have to be one or the other, and neither "group" has to suffer. We all came together and came up with plans and solutions today that work for everyone AND for the benefit of our beautiful island!

Also good for the athletes - they will be swimming in the ocean!!!

I JUST walked into the office - it was roughly a 2 our meeting (of course it started late)- but I promise to post a full update. I just wanted to share the good news now!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom