Divers lose boat, no pilot left aboard - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Video from the rescue. Why would anyone plan a dive on a day like this?
The front was expected to come in late afternoon. This would be what you're seeing in the video since it was several hours after they lost the boat. They planned on getting a few dives in early before the front and coming in.

Weather is too unpredictable to cut it that close IMO and I would have scratched the day. I also take into consideration any issues that could arise and if I can't get home would I be caught in the ****. If so, I'm a no go.

Anyway, I believe even at the time they lost the boat seas were still manageable, 3 ft., however the wind shifted and that is why the boat got away from them.

Understood. Still, They expected bad weather later in the day. Sometimes weather comes early. Sometimes boats have mechanical issues at the worst time. I agree that it was not a day I would have gone out.

"I have a diver down; keep well clear at slow speed."
Good point... Yeah, the Dive Flag is a USA invention and some nations have been slow to adopt it. I'm seeing lots of countries that have adopted it, and like that.
I am going into pedant mode here, so forgive me. The red flag with white diagonal was a US invention, as Sam Miller will be able to tell you.However the internationally recognised code of signals as ratified by the US in1969 decided to use the A flag to signal “"I have a diver down; keep well clear at slow speed”

I am going into pedant mode here, so forgive me.
Here in Florida, I have never seen or heard of FWC or the Coast Guard cite anyone for not using an Alpha flag. So, you can be in pedant mode all you want, but it's certainly not required here if there are no consequences for not using it. However, in Florida waters you can and hopefully will receive a citation for not having a Diver Down flag.

As a code signal, the International maritime signal flag Alpha (or "Alfa", signifying the letter "A") has the meaning of "I have a diver down; keep well clear at slow speed", used to indicate the presence of a diver in the water and is used in all countries other than the United States of America, Canada, sometimes Italy, and countries within the US's diving culture sphere of influence such as certain countries within the Caribbean.

A rigid replica of the 'Alpha' flag is required to be displayed by any vessel engaged in diving operations when restricted in her ability to maneuver if the size of the vessel makes it impractical to display the shapes and lights required by the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (IRPCS) Rule 27.

Although the presence of the 'A' flag may afford some protection for divers in the vicinity of the vessel displaying the flag, the intention of the rigid replica required by IRPCS Rule 27 (e) is to warn other vessels of the danger of collision. This marks a distinction between the 'Alpha' flag and the red and white diver down flag.

Mario Vittone, a retired USCG rescue swimmer and now a consultant on sea safety and survival, made a solid case on why victims should not be charged for rescues in this article. In summary, it may cause people to delay or not make a call for help even further when it is already a problem that many people wait too long. Usually, the later the call, the more risk to the rescuers. It also explains why the "book" cost of the operation is not really the additional dollar cost.

And here's an op-ed written by the Coast Guard's Commandant 1999 that makes a couple additional points.

As a code signal, the International maritime signal flag Alpha (or "Alfa", signifying the letter "A") has the meaning of "I have a diver down; keep well clear at slow speed", used to indicate the presence of a diver in the water and is used in all countries other than the United States of America, Canada, sometimes Italy, and countries within the US's diving culture sphere of influence such as certain countries within the Caribbean.
I've seen them in Fiji and the Philippines. I just read a piece, and am now having a problem finding it again, that in US waters, the Coasties only want the Alpha flag flown if you're in international shipping lanes or harbors where there's shipping and you have tethered divers. Here is the following from the US Power Squadron which works closely with the USCG: Flag and Etiquette Committee

a.gif

Code Flag "A"​

International Code Flag "A" has several uses, one of which is to designate diving operations. The Inland Rules specifically require a boat, when engaged in diving operations and thus restricted in its ability to maneuver, to display a rigid replica of the International Code Flag "A". Exhibiting this signal invokes a special right-of-way of this vessel over essentially all other vessels. The key point is restricted in the ability to maneuver. Code Flag "A" is used only on a vessel. It should never be displayed on a diver's float, or raft. However, it is the practice of nationals of other countries to use the Code Flag "A" instead of the flag shown below. If the Code Flag "A" is seen on a diver's float or raft it should be treated as meaning: Caution - Diver Down

diver.gif

Diver Down Flag​

A red square flag with a diagonal white stripe is also an accepted and recognized signal meaning: Caution - Diver Down. This flag is used on a vessel or on a diver's float, buoy, or raft to indicate diving operations. When divers are swimming free of the vessel, this would be the logical flag to use. The flag should be exhibited in rigid form. Many states have local laws requiring display of this "Diver Down" flag which has long been adopted by the Underwater Society of America.

It should be pointed out that this incident happened in US waters, and they might have even been in Florida State waters. Only US and Florida law apply here.

Video from the rescue. Why would anyone plan a dive on a day like this?
For the same reason a dog licks himself. Because they can.

I've been out in far worse, with no problems & only manageable difficulties. those conditions are not for everyone, but for many, they are not a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom