Divers to ride jet u/w while sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

athens scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Athens Scuba Park bought a Beechcraft Hawker 600, to sink for divers to explore and use as training tool for heavy lift classes.
The jet will be dragged into the lake with 10 divers on board till it lands on the bottom
600 ft away from shoreline and set in 21' depth.
The jet is wired 28 volt so that all the collision lights, landing lights, top tail red strobe
light, and white passenger light will work u/w for night diving.
The sinking will be Sat. May 28th at noon, and followed by a reggee band (chompa), and celebration.
Sunday will be a treasure hunt with $3000.00 worth of prizes donated by IST Sports/
Dolphin Tech.
This will be awsome be see and be a part of. Come one, come all, and have a good time.:D:D

Attachments

• 001b.jpg
    001b.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 158
You've got a very understanding insurance company. Sweet!!! I wish mine would allow that kind of stuff.

This sounds great I will be there, talked to a diver yesterday that dove there last weekend said the viz was over 30'. Dragging the plane into the water may stir things up a little.

A dangerous and stupid stunt. Anything goes wrong and a lot of divers could get hurt real fast. If it lands in a way that blocks the door, do you have UW cutters to open the plane to free the divers? What if it lands on a diver?

There are too many things that could go wrong to make this justifiable in any way.

While i agree with all these being good points....but its 21ft. Im going up for this event and i would LOVE to be in the plane on the way down...call me stupid but it sounds fun.

Also from the sounds of it they will be dragging it in down a slope so it wont be "dropping" into the water...so should be a slow trip to 21ft. Next point, the wings are below the cockpit so in 21ft of water i find it will be hard for a plane with what i will assume is a longer than 20ft wing span to flip on its side...or upside down.

Sure there are risks as there are with anything that is like this...but i for one would take the risks cause i know that it would be worth the fun...and the been there done that of it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom