Divers to ride jet u/w while sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's one of the worst ideas i've heard about in a while.
Doesn't it seem probable that visibility will degrade, someone will panic and overbreathe their reg and/or run out of gas.
In zero vis how do the 10 find the exit?

Seems odd that a bunch of instructors would be cool with it...but it's a free country, good luck.

Last edited:
Know the facts, The jet has TWO EXITS, ONE ON EACH SIDE, ABOVE THE WINGS, 50'span,can't flip over in 20'ft water, 60'ft lenght, can't over turn, dragging in at walking speed,Instructors only are riding,and we have done this three times already....

Well to be fair, you made the first post, and your info there was all we had to work with!

Thanks for coming back to give more detail.

Last edited:
That's one of the worst ideas i've heard about in a while.
Doesn't it seem probable that visibility will degrade, someone will panic and overbreathe their reg and/or run out of gas.
In zero vis how do the 10 find the exit?

Seems odd that a bunch of instructors would be cool with it...but it's a free country, good luck.

Just more proof that there are a lot of instructors without a lot of common sense.

It seems like it should be safe enough but in the back of my mind I can just hear voices afterwards saying "what are the chances of that ever happening again".

It seems to me that a lot of people are way over rating the potential danger of this and I guess I am just not seeing it. Maybe they are not confident enough of their ability or their buddy's ability to handle non-ideal situations underwater. Maybe they have seen some event like this turn into a disaster and they are speaking from personal experience. I don't know. Athens says they have done this 3 other times without incident so they have experience and should know what to expect.

Certainly something bad could happen. Bad things happen all the time underwater yet we all still dive just for the fun of it. If you are skilled, competent and have discussed an emergency plan with your buddy and the rest of the crew then the risk is very minimal. It isn't like they are dropping this jet out of the sky into 120' of water. It is being dragged slowly down a slope into a whopping 21' of water. I would fully be expecting it to silt out as it filled with water on the way down. An experienced instructor should be able to handle a low/zero viz situation especially if it is fully expected and you have a plan in place. I also figure if you start to have some kind of issue with the situation that you got yourself into then you will be smart enough call the dive, bail out and watch the rest of the event from a safe distance before you get into trouble and cause problems for everyone else on board.

To make a blanket statement that any instructor that would participate in this event has very little common sense is pretty offensive to a lot of very good and experienced instructors. Maybe I have no common sense at all but I would love to be on-board.

To each his own most folks are smart enough to know their limits. Just because you don't want to do it does not mean everyone else that does is stupid. Seem to be a few folks on here that think they are super divers and everyone else falls short.

At 20' you should have well over an hours worth of air to find your way out. Besides, if you are not comfortable doing it don't! But don't tell someone else that they shouldn't.

I think bungee jumpers are crazy, but if they want to do it have a good time.

Besides, if you are not comfortable doing it don't! But don't tell someone else that they shouldn't.

I think bungee jumpers are crazy, but if they want to do it have a good time.

Yep, fair enough. I mentioned that I would not be comfortable, as I'm not overhead certified (just an OW diver); but I'm not telling anyone else what they should or should not do.

Still, it's an unusual dive, and so it's something that people are likely to comment on when it's posted here to publicize it.

On a different point, I'm really curious how they will keep the lights working? At least for more than a little while. Sounds cool though for a night dive.

It seems to me that a lot of people are way over rating the potential danger of this and I guess I am just not seeing it. Maybe they are not confident enough of their ability or their buddy's ability to handle non-ideal situations underwater. Maybe they have seen some event like this turn into a disaster and they are speaking from personal experience. I don't know. Athens says they have done this 3 other times without incident so they have experience and should know what to expect.

Certainly something bad could happen. Bad things happen all the time underwater yet we all still dive just for the fun of it. If you are skilled, competent and have discussed an emergency plan with your buddy and the rest of the crew then the risk is very minimal. It isn't like they are dropping this jet out of the sky into 120' of water. It is being dragged slowly down a slope into a whopping 21' of water. I would fully be expecting it to silt out as it filled with water on the way down. An experienced instructor should be able to handle a low/zero viz situation especially if it is fully expected and you have a plan in place. I also figure if you start to have some kind of issue with the situation that you got yourself into then you will be smart enough call the dive, bail out and watch the rest of the event from a safe distance before you get into trouble and cause problems for everyone else on board.

To make a blanket statement that any instructor that would participate in this event has very little common sense is pretty offensive to a lot of very good and experienced instructors. Maybe I have no common sense at all but I would love to be on-board.

Confined space + packed with divers + small exit + movement + STUNT (I emphasis the stunt part of this) is way too many issues combined for me, especially since it's revolving around just being a stunt.

Ride the thing into 21 feet? WTF? Seriously? What's the attraction? I serously don't get the excitement of the situation. Hate to say it cause I don't want to call names, but... man... sounds like a bunch of nerds.:depressed: Sorry, hate to go that way, but really? Want to ride a plane being pulled along a lake bottom?

At least he is limiting it to instructors, that's the first sensible factor of the thing I've heard so far.

Back
Top Bottom