Diver's Tool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knife:
IMHO, a cutting tool should be worn on all dives. (It could be a knife, EMT shears, z knife, OMS line cutter, FOG shears, etc.).

Bubbles:
It will likely be less of an issue when you are swimming horizontal. Otherwise, it is just something you tend to get used to.

Mal de Mare:
If you are prone to motion sickness, do as others suggest. This is especially true if there will be surface chop or you are going by boat. This is not a big deal -- it does happen.

It is important to keep the reg in if you are going to vomit -- there is often a reflex inhalation after a heave. By keeping the reg in, this will be air and not water that you inhale.

Do not ascend and wait on the surface, or swim on the surface. Ascend slowly and directly to the boat ladder. If you stay away from near-surface surge, this will likely not be a big deal. If you float on the surface and bob about, that will complicate your life.

Bubbles? Here's something you can do to most regulators....

Slip a short piece of PVC tubing over the exhaust port. I run a cable tie thru them. Works like a champ.

ScubaGirlJG:
I am not sure when to buy one?

Before you need it, at any rate :wink:

Do not ascend and wait on the surface, or swim on the surface. Ascend slowly and directly to the boat ladder. If you stay away from near-surface surge, this will likely not be a big deal. If you float on the surface and bob about, that will complicate your life.

Bubbles? Here's something you can do to most regulators....

Slip a short piece of PVC tubing over the exhaust port. I run a cable tie thru them. Works like a champ.

Before you need it, at any rate :wink:
Thanks! That is something that I haven't heard of to solve the bubbles problem...but nice creativity!! I really agree with your advice on when ascending...from my pool training I hated bobbing around at the surface, it really frustrates me....I can only imagine this would be 10 times greater in the ocean where waves exist. I will definitely take your advice on that.

Hi,
Not to hijack the thread but my diving has been 100% in tropical locations (Red Sea and the Caribbean), and I never saw the need for a knife or any such utensil. What are the reasons that everyone on this thread is suggesting to carry one on all dives? Am I missing something?

I understand the reasons behind entanglement, but ruling that out (in my dive locations) do you still think it is a necessity?

Hi,
Not to hijack the thread but my diving has been 100% in tropical locations (Red Sea and the Caribbean), and I never saw the need for a knife or any such utensil. What are the reasons that everyone on this thread is suggesting to carry one on all dives? Am I missing something?

I understand the reasons behind entanglement, but ruling that out (in my dive locations) do you still think it is a necessity?

In many such locations (for example, Grand Cayman and Cozumel), a knife is illegal. I know many people who do not carry one in such locations.

If you are concerned about minor entanglements, such as fishing line, in such locations, carrying shears is a good option. There is also a very cheap item called a Z-knife that would be easy to carry and legal.

I have never seen anyone come remotely close to an entanglement in such locations, nor have I really seen anything that could cause such an entanglement. If you are into playing the odds, then you are probably pretty safe without one.

go with a pair of shears.....

Has anyone ever needed to use their diver's tool for self defense? Is it even a reason for carrying a knife or is it just carried solely for entanglement?

Hey,

As for a knife I agree that it is just something you should have with you all the time. Most of the options I think have been discussed, except for 2 I think. First be sure that it is "water rated" . By that I mean how fast will it corrode. Second, how easy is it to deploy? When you need a knife in the water you usually REALLY need it. A effective dive knife doesn't have to expensive or flashy. It simple needs to work when you need it to. For a long time I carried a folding stainless steel 3 inch blade hunting knife if the pocket of by BCD. I saw a z blade mentioned. That is a good choice if you are not comfortable with a bladed knife as the are like letter cutters in that it really hard to cut yourself with. They are designed to cut fishing line, rope, etc. Lastly know that knifes come in a billion different styles and costs. The more exotic the more expensive usually. They are pointed, blunt, and slanted like samari sword points, and just as many material types. In the end just be sure you carry one, know how to use it, and try to keep yourself out of situations where you need it to be safe.

Best of luck!

Ed

Has anyone ever needed to use their diver's tool for self defense? Is it even a reason for carrying a knife or is it just carried solely for entanglement?

The large knife is needed in case of shark attack!

Stab your buddy and swim the other way! :crafty:

The large knife is needed in case of shark attack!
Stab your buddy and swim the other way! :crafty:

ESP. if it turns out your buddy is working for C.H.A.O.S., the Ruskies, or a morphine smuggler.....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom