Divers with disabilities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleDip

Contributor
Reaction score
Divers with Disabilities
Discussion about the special needs for those who want to submerge, but have physical or mental limitations

That is the caption under the link for divers with disabilities. While I can appreciate, even commend individuals with physical disabilities who engage in the activity of SCUBA, I have a problem with that one aspect of the title: mental limitations. WHAT? There is a capacity in which a person with "mental limitations" can be certified to SCUBA dive? I am as generous with political correctness as I can possibly be, however can we please keep it real. With regards, Kirk Hamblen

Kirk,

while you may not like it, there are instructors who take the time and energy to train people with "mental limitations". Such certifications always come with limits as do those with physical limitations. That's as real as it gets.

DoubleDip:
Divers with Disabilities
Discussion about the special needs for those who want to submerge, but have physical or mental limitations

That is the caption under the link for divers with disabilities. While I can appreciate, even commend individuals with physical disabilities who engage in the activity of SCUBA, I have a problem with that one aspect of the title: mental limitations. WHAT? There is a capacity in which a person with "mental limitations" can be certified to SCUBA dive? I am as generous with political correctness as I can possibly be, however can we please keep it real. With regards, Kirk Hamblen

I think the problem is that the phrase "mental limitations" covers a very wide range from slightly retarded to severely retarded.
There are cases where, with adequate training a slightly retarded person can be trained to an adequate level of competence that they can can fend for themselves and may even turn out to be a better buddy than many so-called "intelligent" divers.
Others will only ever be able to dive under direct supervision, the question then is, what level of supervision - does the buddy have to be DM qualified, rescue or just OW?

I would be curious to hear from some Instructors as to what are the guidelines from the various certifying agencies? (Assuming there are any.)

I came across an nice page about teaching retarded children to swim. It mentions some interesting points. There is an interesting paragraph about concomitant conditions.
http://www.twu.edu/inspire/Aquatics/aqmental.htm

I thank you both for you input, each of you made relevant points that were well taken. I must be old school, I had always felt that an individual must be within the top 20% of physical and mental acuity in order to qualify for certification. Certified in the early 70's, my younger brother failed in his attempt to qualify, I guess that with equipment innovation and newer standards the mentally limited may also participate in our beloved sport. I do not begrudge any certified SCUBA diver, I would only have concerns for the well being for those who qualify as mentally limited. Regards, Kirk Hamblen

Kirk - to help clear things up a little bit, I'll use an example. I have taken on the task of helping a partially paralyzed woman try and realize a dream of learning to walk again, but first... she has to swim!

The folks who have limitation and are wanting to participate in the activity know that they can't do it alone and are largely dependant upon those who spend time with them patiently teaching basic concepts. That being said, if they are mentally competent, but have some physical limitations, why not give them the opportunity to partake in a shallow dive with a competent dive assistant once they both have recieved training? She is very interested in learning to dive, especially after learning that once in the water its a matter of strapping on gear where it doesn't weigh what it does on land. For some reason I don't see her wanting to lobster, spearfish, or do a deco dive anytime soon... and if being her friend, teacher, and trusted snorkel/dive partner in shallow water adventures helps give her the strength (physical and mental) to get back on her own two feet and walk again then I've shared both my passion for diving and in her dream making it a win/win situation for us both.

Thats what diving with folks with disabilities is about for me :)

Check out Handicapped Scuba Association website. I’ve worked with them in the past and was amazed at how they are able to help many people experience the underwater world and achieve goals that they may have never thought possible. Watching mildly retarded people see a reef up close and personal for the first time is something you’ll never forget, even if it does take one DM per student under good conditions.

http://www.hsascuba.com/

The term "mental limitation" would also apply to persons with learning disorders such as a reading, writing or math disorder, ADD, ADHD or dyslexia. Some accommodation of the course materials, course presentation, and/or test format may be needed for the diver to successfully complete the course. But the diver would complete the full course content with no modifications and in the end would be able to fully master the skills involved and become a fully capable and competent diver.

If you look at the population of persons with qualifying disabilities as a whole, about 40% will fall in the category of having some type of minor and non visible cognitive impairment. So while they are not readily recognizeable as being disabled, they are very common.

DA Auquamaster, thank you for clarifying better than I could. People have the unfortunate habit of forgetting that mental limitations don't always have to do with IQ.
In addition to DA's list, there are also other mental health diagnoses that can fall in that category--for instance, a person with a depressive disorder, or other psychiatric condition might be interested in diving, and this forum would be a fine place to as questions as to whether it is a viable option for them, INCLUDING the ability to obtain information as to what the reasons they may not be a good candidate for learning to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom