Divi Tiara-Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you like overcrowded boats (cattle boat), short tempered overworked boat crews and management that could care less........this is the place for you!

MOOOOOOO!!!!! :viking:

Just got home late yesterday....more to come on this later.

We are currently looking into possibly doing a carribean dive trip & have found lots of information about how much people liked various places but its hard to know what to think if you DON'T hear anything about a place/operator. We'll steer clear of Divi! Thanks.

Stayed at BRBR last month. Guests(most), staff and Dive operator were all excellent!!!

DM's were friendly and very helpful. Worked with guests to accomodate special interests and to avoid unwanted repeat visits to sites.

They had 2 boats out and moved people ocassionally to accomodate Little Cayman or #356 requests. Both boats were 16 plus but never felt cattle-like either on-board or in water.

UW your choices were relatively unlimited, i.e. follow the guide DM or do your own thing. Just don't violate boat profile minutes by 20+ minutes as a visiting lds guide apparently felt was her "right", along with the "right" to bang, kick and grab onto any reef she felt necessary to get the macro shot she wanted.

Fortunately I wasn't subjected to doing time on her boat.

You can see some great pics of the dives taken by another guest and Buckeye in my post from 7/25, "Cayman Brac pics"

Regards
Joe

We spent 6 dives days at Divi Tiara and won't be making another trip there. The boats were overcrowded and the dive staff short tempered due to the work load.

Here's a sampling of the week........

20 to 25 divers per boat on a boat built for 16 divers. (40 ft) I only saw 6 PFD's to be had and they were being used to cushion u/w cameras. (We were told later they were stored in the hold! The USCG would have a hissy fit over that, but this was Cayman) You were assigned to the same boat and crew for all your morning dives and if you had afternoon dives in your package you were assigned to another boat. This was even worse from an over-crowded gear standpoint as the gear belonging to the morning customers (remember 20-25 divers) was still on the boat ready and set up for the next day and the afternoon customers had to trip and fall and find a place to stow their dry gear while the boat was overloaded with ALL gear. So we're looking at a boat loaded with gear for roughly 30 to 35 divers!!

A place to sit you say??? Spots to put your tush were at a premium with fannies taking up the benches that didn't have gear set up on them or in the shade. Many people stood and held on as there was no place to sit.

Only two Divemasters worked the boat putting divers in two at a time.....made for a long line rocking in the hot sun.....nauseating to say the least. They wouldn't let you backroll off the side access either.

The scheduling of the boats started earlier than normal and returned later than normal to accomodate all the divers. This greatly cut into your vacation time to do other things. You would no more get back from the AM dive.....find lunch, and you'd be getting back on for the afternoon dive at 2:30. Most times we didn't get back in till 1:00 or later.

The dining room was packed during the dinner hour and was very noisy and not well sound proofed. You were hard pressed to find a place to sit in the air conditioned dining room after a long hot day fighting other divers for a place to sit on the boat....forget the dining room! Your other option was to take your food outside and fight with the flies over who got to eat what.

Grumpy dive staff. Yup, they were overworked and not in the best of humor. We did an afternoon dive and my buddy signals me on our initial descent that I have a leaky tank. We ascend, he checks the seating of my reg and ooopss....still leaking. He asks the DM for a new Oring and gets MAJOR ATTITUDE. "She be fine, she don't need all that air anyway.....go back down and dive". To say the least.....my buddy and I are cavers....we DON'T dive with leaky tanks...PERIOD. My buddy firmly tells the DM...."give me an O-ring now"...inserts the Oring, resets my regs.....and we drop back down while the DM is shaking his head and muttering about how picky we are.

This all came to head on the last day when the dive op tried to tell us we wouldn't get to do our last dive of the week for two reasons....

1. We were flying the next day and we needed to off-gas. (We weren't flying for 28 hours)
2. Even tho our package said 6 days of diving, 3 dives per day....that was a mistake because they don't do afternoon dives on Friday.

To say the least, my buddy came unglued in a business like manner and made his issues known to the General Manager who was brought into the picture. The GM then proceeded to blame the whole week's issues on corporate...."they've overbooked us and we're doing the best we can....we can only handle 68 divers per day and we have 120". My buddy explained to him that was not OUR fault and there was obviously communication issues between him and his corporate office that was significanly affecting their business and not favorably. The GM was a jolly felllow and glad-handed you all the way if you were happy to make you happier, but if you were unhappy he blew you off and basically didn't give you the time of day.....for example....

On the last night we were awakened at 5am by the hotel staff beating on our door. We answered to be told that they were sorry and were just checking to see if the room was occupied. When I mentioned this to the GM his reply was...."You already hate us, it's just another nail in our coffin" and he walked away from me. I was astounded! No apology, not even a " I'll speak with my staff and make sure this doesn't happen again".

There was another group we spoke with that had the unfortunate luck of being the last group to arrive for check in on Saturday. They were told that no slots were left on the AM boats and they would have to do all afternoon dives. They were initially okay with this figuring they would take advantage of the unlimited free shore diving. But nooooo....they couldn't go shore diving as all the tanks were on the boats!!!! They were told they could go down the street to the next OP and rent tanks!!

Well.....wth that said.....I'm just frustrating myself all over again and I need to get past this. I just wanted to make sure my dive pals on scubaboard were warned off Divi Tiara......go with the other resort on Cayman Brac instead.

Plus....both my buddy and the group leader of the other group I spoke of are both Undercurrent members and both plan on writing up a lengthy report for submission to the Chapbook!!

On a positive note.....the food was very good and the kitchen & dining staff was very good too.

Accomodations were okay....nothing to brag about, but clean, although PRICEY.

Okay....I'm done.

I have decided that one or two trips in every ten will be something like what you have described. I have learned to either laugh or cry. I have also learned that complaining to mgmt. usually does little to no good unless its something they can do something about right away at little or no cost. It sounds to me like management wrote you off the first time you complained at them and decided to concentrate on the divers that did not already hate them. C'est la vie. Byt he way we dove with Divi Tiara last Jnuary when they were not overcrowded. Three of us chartered our own boat for about 150% of what a regular dive trip would have cost and did our own thing for a week. It is an admittedly expensive way to insure that you will do what you want when you want to do it. Never had to fight for a seat either!

Diver Lori once ranted...

"We spent 6 dives days at Divi Tiara and won't be making another trip there..."

As a timeshare owner at the Tiara, my aggregate experience now exceeds a half year as a guest in this resort, over the past 14 years.

Now I'll freely admit that there are serious maintenance problems with the TS units, but generally speaking, the rest of the resort (including staff) is usually quite good.

"(Overcrowded boats)"

Yes, you had a problem.

If the resort had 120 guests, then it was literally full. Years ago, the Tiara had 6 diveboats instead of the current 5 (Island Fever, Island Fever II, Cayman Fever, Tiara Fever and Ocean Fever; they sold off Brac Fever), but with Max saying that he can only provide service 68 divers (18+18+18+14 = 68) can only mean several things:

First, one of the dual-engine diveboats was out of service. Its probably over at The Creek for rebuilds.

Second, past practice when full has been to hire (rent) a 6th diveboat, which they obviously didn't do here.

Insofar the who/what/where finger-pointing, GM Max should have gotten the guest manifests two weeks in advance, but that may not necessarily give him enough time to respond. For example, line up renting a spare diveboat from Grand Cayman.

Furthermore, there's also the question of payment, and Divi has local businesses who are reluctant to extend them credit. If some business won't lift a finger for them unless it is "cash upfront", this merely makes a 2-week notice problem even harder to solve.

They wouldn't let you backroll off the side access either.

Yes, that's generally true, although I'm allowed to do it.

But then again, I don't whine about a tiny squim leaking O-ring on a shallow, no-overhead dive. :mean:

"(Diveboat schedule) This greatly cut into your vacation time to do other things....Most times we didn't get back in till 1:00 or later."

A normal trip for me has a 9am diveboat departure, which returns around 12:45pm - - our timeshare group tends to do long dives (80 minute dives not unheard of). By the time I take my UW camera back up to the room, we get down to lunch around 1pm.

This gives you an hour and a half to eat lunch, change UW camera film and get back down for the 2:30pm PM boat...yes, its tight if you also want to take a nap, have a long line for lunch, or choose to eat lunch off-site. But generally speaking, when I want to "do other things", I just skip the PM dive. I can do that because I'm on vacation :D

The dining room was packed during the dinner hour...

Yeah, I ran into that on a trip to Divi in July 1990...IMO, the crowds were the trade-off for great diving conditions. And its fine to eat outside, so long as there's any breeze.

"...I have a leaky tank...my buddy and I are cavers....we DON'T dive with leaky tanks...PERIOD....the DM is shaking his head and muttering about how picky we are."

Anal cavers; figures. In the context of a shallow no-overhead OW dive, the DM was right and you were wrong. Period, full stop.

As a learning opportunity, I suggest you go take a tank with a similar leaking O-ring, put your gear on it, turn the rig on, and dump it into the bottom of a pool. Check it once every 2 hours and watch the results are. Don't forget that the first hour will be off because of temperature equalization. Report back how many *DAYS* it took for that mere AL80 to empty itself.

Similarly, you might also want to research if there's a statistically proven measurable change in the risk of a blow-out from a non-leaking O-ring compared to a slightly-leaking O-ring. Remember to provide your Citation.

This all came to head on the last day when the dive op tried to tell us we wouldn't get to do our last dive of the week for two reasons....

1. We were flying the next day and we needed to off-gas. (We weren't flying for 28 hours)

A 28 hour SI after the PM dive? Gosh, that would be roughly 8pm at night. So just what flight were you on?

KX-102 leaves the Brac at 6:20 AM and flies to Grand Cayman
KX-726 leaves the Brac at 2:15 PM (Saturdays only)

These are the only Saturday Flights on Cayman Airways, and Island Air doesn't fly at night.

The closest I could find was KX-406, which leaves at 7:15pm (27 hours), but it reportedly is a special (limited) service flight that only flies on Mondays. Here's CAL's current official flight schedule for referral:

http://www.caymanairways.com/trip/schedule.html

On the last night we were awakened at 5am by the hotel staff beating on our door.

Knocking on doors is what's appropriate to do when the room phones aren't reliable; it helps prevent guests from being very upset that they missed the 6:20am flight when its the only CAL flight of the day.

When I mentioned this to the GM his reply was...."You already hate us, it's just another nail in our coffin" and he walked away from me. I was astounded!"

Shocked by his honesty, I see. He was right, wasn't he?

...wth that said.....I'm just frustrating myself all over again and I need to get past this. I just wanted to make sure my dive pals on scubaboard were warned off Divi Tiara......go with the other resort on Cayman Brac instead."

This was your first-ever visit to the Brac, wasn't it? Yeah, you hit a bad week, but both Resorts have had problems...and at least none of the Divi dive staff have gotten DCS hits (nod, nod, wink, wink).

On a positive note.....the food was very good and the kitchen & dining staff was very good too."

You're probably thinking of Cliff, the AM cook on the grill. Came down from Boston in the '70s to help build the airport runway, never went home.

Accomodations were okay....nothing to brag about, but clean, although PRICEY."

Pricey? Did you not use Divi's $777 special? It includes room, diving and MAP food, which is a mere $129/pp-day. If you want to see Pricey, look at the LCBR's prices on Little Cayman: $80/pp-day just for the diving.

-hh

Gee, Know-it-alls are just the worst aren't they? I have to say,
-hh, your pleasant reply to Lori's post made me wish I was a used car salesman in your area. There are always 2 sides to every story but in my book, if a business is having a bad day, they still have to provide good service to their paying customers. If I'm paying you money to provide a service, and not only do you NOT provide that service, but you are a total jerk while you are doing it, I will gladly take my happy ass somewhere else to get it. Everybody has a bad day sometimes but if every dive op behaved like this one, I don't know if many of us would be diving.:mean:

Welcome to Scubaboard Winky! Please note that most debates do not degenerate into name-calling or heavy sarcasm. I would say that the resort bears a large amount of responsibility for the snafu due to overbooking but the on-island people were in a position where they could do nothing about it.

Tim

I agree with both your initial opinion (first post) about the likelihood of bad experiences and your additional thoughts (second post) about the general tone of the board. I also know, more because I am a regular observer and an occasional poster, that you are one of the more insightful and positive contributors to the board, especially in the area of Caribbean travel.

I would note however that on island people can make a huge difference in how one feels about a bad experience.

In March my wife and I took our 8 & 10 year old children on a trip to BRBR. We were assured by the US side of the op that BRBR would have several other kids at the resort, a great beach, and an ability to do resort dives for our 10 year old. None of that was true.

We flew out less than 48 hours after we arrived expecting to lose our cost of the vacation and planning to spend its equivalent and more to stay at a kid friendly 7 mile beach resort, to dive and to pay for meals on GC that were otherwise covered in BRBR's FAP.

Peter, the local manager at BRBR, took it on to make contact with the US side of the op explain the circumstances. He turned lemons into lemonade by getting us a credit for all unused days dives and meals. We then enjoyed a second, adult only, 6 days/5 nights at BRBR and some of the best diving ever done by us.

Just one experience. Some of the result may have been from our effort to not lose our cool when faced with a really lousy situation and how that may have contributed to Peter's reaction...or it could just be that regardless of guest behavior that Peter was creatively looking for ways to improve on the unfortunate facts that were presented to him.

Regards

Joe

If you like *****ty service...more power to ya. Don't knock everyone else for expecting to get what they pay for.

If somebody pays $60+ for a dive, I think the dive op has a responsibility to provide equipment that isn't crap and that functions properly....including the boats. If I'm paying that much to dive, I don't give a rat's @ss when or why the boat won't work, or where it is being repaired..the dive op needs do what they have to do to make it right...even if it costs them money. It's called service.

I'm sure the dive op doesn't give the dives away for cheaper than advertised if somebody comes in and sobs about how expensive the dives are...and so when the customer pays full price they shouldn't have to listen to a sob story from the dive op (or some timeshare holder) about what exactly is wrong with which boat and how long it will be out for repairs. That's ridiculous! If the dive ops's boat is down, tough *****...make it right. After all they took the money didn't they?

If someone wants to actually do the dive that they paid for, 27 hours before they fly, what's so unreasonable about that? She went there for the diving...not the noisy overcrowded restaurants and the 5:00 a.m. wake-up calls.

Nobody on the island will extend credit to this op...gee.. I wonder why? Could it be that the op takes about as much responsibility for their debts to their creditors, as they do for accomodating their their PAYING guests.

I can't believe HH is actually making excuses for the dive op's bad credit!...

DiverLori,
Thanks for the heads up on the crappy service at Divi Tiara.

Back
Top Bottom