Diving Accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious....

What is the most valuable diving accessory you have ever acquired and why?

What is the least valuable diving accessory you have ever acquired and why?

It's between the pickup truck and the fill station. The truck cost more but the fill station has value beyond the purchase price in the form of cost avoidence and convenience.

fins:
Just curious....

The most valuable accessory... I'm not sure how to pick just one item. I prety much need everything I take underwater with me and if anything is missing I can't (or won't) dive so I'd say my entire minimal set of gear needed in order to dive would be it. Really, the most valuable accessory is knowledge/skills, not any particular physical equipment.

The least valuable accessory: the oversized knife I got when I first started diving. It is valueless because it never goes with me into the water, just sits on a shelf and gatheres dust. I dont' sell it because it serves as a reminder to me. Any time I want ot buy gear, I think about the knife and really try to figure out if I will actualy use whatever the new gizmo is... What do you know, the knife DOES have some value, if only as an example/lesson to myself. :wink:

but here is what I came up with.

First I thought about all sorts of the gear I use, but I decided that gloves and boots and masks don't qualify as "accessories" because they are part of the "basic kit". I decided that accessories would be limited to the extras.

I also decided that my buddy was basic and not an accessory so I couldn't list him. Further, Insurance and DAN membership are not accessories.

That said, my most valuable accessory has been my light(s). Especially in Monterey, a light is a tremendous thing to have. I am amazed at the number of divers here that don't use a light. Even at only 30 or 40 feet the colors really fade away. Hit any rock or wall with a light and the colors veritably jump out at you. I saw a large gray sun-something starfish once; nothing too exciting. When lit with a good light, the beast appeared to glow red from the inside out. It was captivating. I take a light on virtually every dive.

Second choice would be my medium-large retractor that keeps my console close to me.

Third choice would be coiled lanyards for other gear.

I am embarrassed to admit the other extreme because I can't believe I wasted my money on it. My least valuable accessory is an underwater laser pointer. --*ducking and covering my head in shame*-- I have no idea what possessed me. I don't think that I have even taken it underwater yet.

Second choice might be the reel that jammed and then came apart the first time I used it. What a piece of junk. (brand withheld to avoid issues)

Third choice would be the small retractor that was not strong enough to keep my console close at hand, and it broke after a few uses.

My two cents, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

Hoseless dive computer and a snorkel, -Mike F. down here in Texas don't you know we all drive pickup trucks so I can't count that as dive gear! And if you have ever been to Rennakers in N. Florida or Larry Green's-now there's a couple of fill stations!

fins:
Just curious....

Most valuable: Suunto Vyper dive computer

Least valuable: Tank weights.

Michael Schlink:
Hoseless dive computer and a snorkel, -Mike F. down here in Texas don't you know we all drive pickup trucks so I can't count that as dive gear! And if you have ever been to Rennakers in N. Florida or Larry Green's-now there's a couple of fill stations!

I've of course been to Renneker's many times but never to Larry Green's.

My stuff isn't as big but then again I don't need that much. I've got the local diveshops beat though. LOL Their idea of mixing gas is a lunch that doesn't agree with them.

I would guess that the regulators are my primary choise to beeing most valuable, for three reasons, monetary value, and what is most important to function properly and that they where the hardest part to choose, I wanted the best regulators on the market that never would stop functioning, basically..

least valuable, that would be the neoprene thingie for the mask... I would guess *smiles

An entirely metal build thermos flask for storing hot coffee.

Normal ones would get battered to pieces on a RIB but this thing dents but survives, a lovely warming coffee after a dive is lovely.

As for least valuable, dunno. Suppose id have to nominate my snorkel but its never yet made it off the dive boat.

Let's see...After much thought...I must say my memory. And I notice many folks forget theirs the day of the dive. Folks to strokes you know who you are.

Safe diving
If it aint fun thumb it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom