Diving Accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...is a rubber coated 6" adjustable wrench! I have never been out on a dive boat, that someone didn't need that wrench to fool with a regulator hose, or an inflator hose or something. I also carry allen wrenches and a pair of 'vice grip' style locking plyers.

Least valuable is probably the $20.00 knife that I carry on the leg of my drysuit. I have yet to use it, but always carry it. I also carry snips in the pouch on the waistbelt of my backplate, and have only used them on the surface....

Most: duct tape, shock cord and zip ties.

Least: a console I used before I knew better.

IndigoBlue:
Most valuable: Suunto Vyper dive computer

Least valuable: Tank weights.

Tank weights...... Least Valuable? I guess I am at a loss with this because up here in the great northeast almost everyone dives a steel tank because they are negative the whole dive and in the end it takes weight off their belt. Well I have tank weights on a seperate strap and I can make that Al80 as negative as I want all is good especially considering the cost of the tanks (free). Now it gets better because I can position the weight anywhere along the tank I want to adjust my trim. Now people who put the weight up around the valve I have to agree.... useless.

All in all I think this is one of the better gizmos I use every dive

Pete

Diver0001:
Depends on what you call an accessory. For my normal diving a light is not an accessory, for example. If you define an accessory as something like a "nice to have" that you could probably do without then I don't have any accessories. I only take the things with me that I need.

I do have some things like slates, deco-balloons, reels, etc. etc. but when i do take them I need them. The one I use the least (least valuable?) is a whistle. I take it whenever I dive on a boat but I can navigate fairly well and I've never actually had to use it.

The most valuable thing I have I made myself. It's a spare parts & repair kit that fits in a foot long sized tool box. I've saved dozens of dives by being prepared to deal with common equipment problems.

R..

The whistle, although never used, should not be considered useless. The one time you do actually need it you will be the happiest person I know that you have it. I guess I would have to label my whistle as the most unused (but with me on every dive) peice of equipment but up there as one if the most valuable. Same can be said of the safety sausage.

I am betting the people that drift to never never land in open water wish they had both of these easy to carry peices of equipment. And for those that say I can navigate and I would never get lost in open water, you are usually the ones that can stay down a lot longer then others. Imagine surfacing to find that the boat left you (yes a DM not accounting for all the divers (never happens right)). Yes it happens.

Jester:
Least valuable - "reef gloves".....don't use them (actually, in most places, you're not supposed to use them).

Jester,
I found out last night from my instructor some places are actually starting to ban divers from using them due to the incredible amount of damage to reefs ranging from flordia to the bahamas. I would also consider him a fairly reliable source considering his job is to study effects on reefs.... I guess it goes back to the old, don't touch it cause I would like to see it when I get there. Yeah I know it is selfish, but still holds true :)

CR

perpet1:
Tank weights...... Least Valuable? I guess I am at a loss with this because up here in the great northeast almost everyone dives a steel tank because they are negative the whole dive and in the end it takes weight off their belt. Well I have tank weights on a seperate strap and I can make that Al80 as negative as I want all is good especially considering the cost of the tanks (free). Now it gets better because I can position the weight anywhere along the tank I want to adjust my trim. Now people who put the weight up around the valve I have to agree.... useless.

All in all I think this is one of the better gizmos I use every dive

Pete

In addition to tank weights as being least valuable, I would put AL 80 tanks and thick wetsuits high on the list of least valuable as well.

IndigoBlue:
In addition to tank weights as being least valuable, I would put AL 80 tanks and thick wetsuits high on the list of least valuable as well.

Well the AL80s are not a tank I would buy but for free they are well worth having. Besides an AL80 with well positioned weights perform just fine.

Who said anythign about thick wet suits but now that you mention it I would never through mine out, as nice as it is to dive dry it is awesome on a hot summer day to get wet.

I think dc4bs nailed it - if you don't absolutely need it then it shouldn't be splashing with you anyway. Tanks, lights, regs etc aren't accessories - they're fundamental gear.

For those of you that mentioned Dive Alerts and Sausages test your D.A. regularly, I've had 2 crap out but I do like them, carry a Fox or Storm whistle as back up. The 4 foot orange tubes weren't cutting it for me, I switched to a 6 footer in day glo yellow. got it at DEMA for $15 and used it in Indonesia last month. The yellow seems to show up better and the longer length and slightly larger diameter rolled up into about as small a roll as my 4 footer. Safe Diving

Michael Schlink:
For those of you that mentioned Dive Alerts and Sausages test your D.A. regularly, I've had 2 crap out but I do like them, carry a Fox or Storm whistle as back up. The 4 foot orange tubes weren't cutting it for me, I switched to a 6 footer in day glo yellow. got it at DEMA for $15 and used it in Indonesia last month. The yellow seems to show up better and the longer length and slightly larger diameter rolled up into about as small a roll as my 4 footer. Safe Diving

I agree totally I never hit the water without a good old fassion wistle (actualy a storm wistle) and a safety sausage. Regardless of size this needs to be visible and should be maintained and tested regularly. All too often thes get rolled up and never unrolled until needed. I always unroll mine and inspect it when I rinse my gear. Remember if you need it you are going to reeally need it to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom