Diving Accident in Pompano, FL Sunday 3/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to work for Conrad years ago as a DM on his little 6 pax boat. He's a great guy and an even better Captain. He's been chartering boats out of Hillbouro Inlet for longer then I've been around, and I moved down here the first time in the early 90's. From what I know he was one of the first "TECH" Instructors in the area, well before it became main stream.

As for his topless "Lobster Goddes". Captian Conrad has a good sense of humor and as much as I would have liked to have seen her when I was working his boat, I never did. Most deffinately an urban scuba legend.

Scott

FLL Diver once bubbled...
.......Doctors decided it was best to airlift the woman to Mercy Hospital with two paramedics on hand to treat her.

Sorry to hear that it happened

btw one Qn :newbie: here

Airlift :confused: :confused: won't it jeopardise her chances of recovery :confused:

Perhaps Brent from BlueWater Divers has heard something about this?

Brent?

Animian, these are low level flights, and time is often of the essence. The highrises of Miami are visible from Fort Lauderdale, but I'm not sure what the distance really is. That kind of air evacuation occurs in Southern California as well.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Few details coming out on this one for some odd reason. The only info I've been able to get is that the accident was on the Lowrance wreck and its said the woman is in a coma. I heard, unsubstantiated, that her first name is Lilian.

WW

Have you heard anymore? The scuttlebutt in a LDS yesterday was that he's a tech instructor? No names available, so this may be just another rumor.

There was another death yesterday too. Details in a separate posting.

Marc

FLL Diver once bubbled...
Have you heard anymore? The scuttlebutt in a LDS yesterday was that he's a tech instructor? No names available, so this may be just another rumor.

Yea, I also heard that it was an instructor and student.

WW

On another scuba-related resource it is being "reported" that both the divers are now home and recovering.

God speed on their recovery.

However, there was also a note that the apparent cause of the incident as a tox hit precipitated by a gas switch at their first deco stop at 90'.

Now one has to wonder a few things...

1. They were reportedly diving Trimix, and had two slung deco bottles. So far ok.
2. What did they switch to at 90'? If 50/50, that's bad. As in PO2 of 1.86 bad.
3. If she grabbed the 100% bottle instead by accident (or the 80/20, if that's what she had) that's even worse, obviously.

I would be real interested in learning exactly what went wrong here. I don't know that we'll get the answer to that question, but there are things to be learned from these incidents, and I, for one, would like to have more detail on stuff like this, not to cast aspersion or throw stones, but as a means of learning how people bent the rules (intentionally or unintentionally) far enough that it snapped on them.

that there is something worthwhile to learn from this incident as long as what we hear about it is good solid fact instead of rumor and speculation. I'm hoping WW is able to find out the facts and post them here.

jbd once bubbled...
that there is something worthwhile to learn from this incident as long as what we here about it is good solid fact instead of rumor and speculation. I'm hoping WW is able to find out the facts and post them here.

Seems Karl has more info than me although I wonder about his source. If its rec.scuba the reliabilty is highly questionable.

WW

Its one of the Florida-specific sites with a diving section, allegedly from someone who knows the operator of the boat involved.

I don't know how valid the data is, but it would be very useful to find out if this is indeed what happened.

Back
Top Bottom