Diving Accident, Self-Responsibility and Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Discussion of snorkels or now snorkels is a personal preference and can get pretty strong support on either side. Location of the dive tends to dictate to me if I carry one. Mostly I don't. I find they pull against my mask and make it leak. Perhaps the shape of my mask:idk: Some places here REQUIRE a snorkel (Queensland) be carried. We have the fold-able ones to put in our BCD pockets for that purpose..

A high percentage of our diving is shore diving. We tend to lay on our backs on our back inflates and chat as we fin our to the point we want to drop down. We tend to stay underwater until we get to the exit point. If necessary we can surface and swim back in the way we started but we seldom do it that way after all you can see more stuff underwater:). Lots of weed and kelp to get tangled in so just not worth bothering with for most of our diving.

The requirement in QLD is to carry a snorkel when on a dive charter, not dive with one :) or at least its enforced that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.. that is why we carry ours in a pocket :) I know some people get upset by the Queensland requirements but with all the divers on the GBR I fully understand having seen some of the "divers" who turn up there!

If one ever had a snorkel on his mask while staying on a reef hook, watching sharks in a current, he will leave his snorkel on the boat or in his BCD pocket. Snorkel on, with current underwater is a nice way to loose a mask, or at least to make it very unconfortable!

Yeah the onlytime I came anywhere near losing a mask it was strong current snorkel would have finished the job for sure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom