Diving After 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing missing from that bull***** is the actors political position.
Oh, come on, there are as many rightwing idiots on the acting scene as lefties ... from George Murphy on.

Well To me the article looks it comes from a gossip rag paper. Not knowing London papers, but having an some idea of how much Londoners seem to love their Tabloids. I don't give the article much head. Who knows if those quotes are actual quotes. Especially the dive instructor conceeding to the no diving after 50. I don't recall anyone telling me that when I got certified.

I plan to keep diving into my 80's if possible. The only problem is that on some days, I feel like I'm already there (in my 80's) physically. Fortunately my mind behaves as if it is still a teen-ager and I think my mental age is a better indicator than my physical age. Right?

Now why did politics have to enter this thread. Isn't enough that it reeks of age-discrimination?

I spent time on a filmset this past summer on which Donald Sutherland was a principal actor. I was taken back at how poorly he looked. He is a tall thin fellow but he had an enormous distended stomach. It is likely that he has problems just in normal day to day activities. His fitness level was apparently poor and probably would be at risk at a lot of activities including diving. I also recently dove with three divers all in their seventies each with 10,000 logged dives. I can't imagine better dive partners. They were really incredible with no end in sight.

I think stopping at 50 makes perfect sense and I for one intend to do so. Now since I just turned 50 last September (I was diving in Australia at the time) I'm now going to have to wait until I turn 150. :D With any luck I'll blow that one to and go for 250.

If you have a knowledgeable Dr. and they say it's ok to dive then keep diving.

Maybe the doc meant 'after your 50th movie...' (By then you forget your stunt double is the one with the working regulator)...

Donald Sutherland has been diagnosed with a diving injury after (sort of) learning to dive for his most recent film. This article says over and over that you shouldn't dive over 50. Is this really what doctors advise?

Here's the deal in Australia even if your certified you have to have a doctors clearance to dive on a boat in Australian Waters or if the charter starts in Australia! So in the world down under everything is upside down when it comes to government interference in your personal life, but what would you expect from a country that bans guns?!!!! Divers Chap Book had a story about a guy how flew in from the US and was put ashore because he did not have medical clearance and if he wanted to dive he had to get one or stay ashore. He missed his charter and was out the money!

I didn't get certified until I was 51. Guess I should never have learned to dive, huh?

Certainly, the risk of coronary artery disease and lung problems goes up as you age. We all have to assess risks in all activities we participate in as we get older.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom