Diving after appendix removal video laparoscopy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..snip..
If you are young and otherwise healthy, and have no conditions that would slow or preclude healing -- no infection, no diabetes, no steroid use, no chronic cough, etc. --
..snip..

Well I still feel young at 62. :D

But seriously, no other complicating factors, in good health and in fact the (treadmill) ergometric test from my annual checkup 1 month ago was still a lot better than one I did 12 years ago even though nowadays they cut the test short due to age based MHR being reached when I'm not even breathing hard.

..snip..
With the laparoscopic procedure gas is introduced at the surgical site. Typically the surgeon endeavors to release the gas when the procedure is complete. If CO2 is used, as it usually is, any remaining amounts are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. In cases where air or nitrogen is applied, the gas could be around for about a week before it completely disappears. By Oct 12, this obviously isn't going to be an issue.
..snip..

Just for the record it was CO2. I had the post-op consult with the surgeon last night. He said everything is as it should be after 1 1/2 weeks, now it's just a question of time and to consider that complete recovery is 45 days from surgery. As he's not a diver he really didn't want to comment on my planned dive trip on Oct 12 but he told me to use my own common sense and avoid excessive force.

That is good news, Mike. I'm glad to hear it.

If I've followed your timeline correctly, Oct 12 will put you at ~7 weeks post-op, and I still believe that, barring any unexpected events, the chances are extremely high that you’ll be good to dive by then.

As I indicated, and those with general surgery experience later reinforced, given an otherwise healthy & fit individual the primary concern is that the abdominal wall muscles are sufficiently healed to handle the forces of hauling and doffing/donning gear. As TSandM suggested, it would be prudent to get other people to do as much of the heavy gear-schlepping as is socially appropriate even at 2 months out.

Best of luck.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

As TSandM suggested, it would be prudent to get other people to do as much of the heavy gear-schlepping as is socially appropriate even at 2 months out.

:rofl3: Thanks for the morning chuckle!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom