Diving after flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long distance flights with usually poor air (nearly no exchange during normal flights in the cabin) plus the change in time zones, climate and strange food in the tourist class plus a lack of sleep are a lot of stress for the body. Drink a lot a water and mineral drinks (without coffein) to make sure that the body can get back to good shape and quickly overcome the jetlag. Of course on the first day of a holiday I hardly can wait for the first dive to beginn, but it should better be an easy-going one...

Hello - I found the link to the info about how long you should wait after diving before flying (http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/altitude.html - excellent info!), but I wanted to know about how long you should wait after flying before you dive. Here's the thing - I was taught that you should wait 12 hours AFTER flying before you dive, and also 12 hours after diving before you fly. Well, I posted something on a scuba newsgroup (stating that you can't dive on the day you arrive at your destination - they planned to fly to Cozumel), and somebody responded saying "Why can't they dive on the day they arrive?" This took me by surprise - I can't imagine a properly trained scuba diver would assume that you can just hop off the plane and head straight for the dive boat!
Thanks!
Liz :wink:

Malleycat,

I must admit that I have always had a night's rest after flying and before diving, but that is because we always seemed to have arrived in the late afternoon or evening. But, beyond that, I cannot remember ever having been told not to dive immediately after flying; further, I checked my various text books and can find no mention of it. Do you have written reference?

12 hours after diving and before flying? I think there is the "12 hour rule" and the "24 hour rule".

But, I will let the good doctor with his encylopedic knowledge tackle your question...and I am very interested in his guidance!

Joewr...

Originally posted by joewr
Malleycat,

I must admit that I have always had a night's rest after flying and before diving, but that is because we always seemed to have arrived in the late afternoon or evening. But, beyond that, I cannot remember ever having been told not to dive immediately after flying; further, I checked my various text books and can find no mention of it. Do you have written reference?

12 hours? I think there is the "12 hour rule" and the "24 hour rule". But, I will let the good doctor and his encylopedic knowledge tackle your question...and I am very interested in his guidance!

Joewr...

Oh man that sucks you mean after I get up at 2:30 in the morning, get all the stuff packed, get it in the car, head to the airport so I can be there 3 hours before our 7:30 am flight to St. Thomas only to get to Atlanta for a 2 hour layover before heading to St. Thomas to arrive at say 3:30 or so then I can't just put on my gear and dive...

Thats it, I am cancelling this whole trip...

Sheesh

Thanks Joewr...I will check my reference materials. I remember during my initial OWC, I know i was told not to dive on the same day I flew...and also when booking our next vacation (leaving Nov. 3rd for Provo), we were told that we could not dive on the day we arrived...even though we'll be getting in around 1pm. Hmmm.....have I been thinking wrong about this all along???????!!
Thanks Joewr!
liz

Ok, I'm replying to my own post. I just makes sense to me that since you're flying in a pressurized cabin, at a high altitude, then coming back down to sea level, that jumping into the water right after that would put you in a situation for DCS. Aaaak, am I wrong about this?!! Please set me straight on this issue!!

Liz ~ who is now scouring all her scuba literature for proof that she HAS seen in writing "Wait 12 hours after flying before diving"....... :confused:

Hi Liz,

I don't pretend to be an expert on this, but I think the "waiting period" after flying has less to do with pressure changes on your body and more to your general physical condition after flying, especially if it is a long trip:

- You're tired
- You're dehydrated from the dry cabin air in the plane
- You haven't had a good meal in several hours
- You may be stressed from travel experience
- You may be disoriented and jet-lagged from time zone changes

While none of these factors are that dangerous by themselves, when added together, they could result in a problem, especially if the person is out of shape physically, is a new diver, and/or hasn't been on dive trips to exotic locations before.

I think the "wait 12 hours" recommendation is an added measure of safety.

My $0.02.

Syruss! Just go to the airport 12 hours early...then all bets are off!

And, Syruss, if you think you can convince us that you would cancel when we can see you are counting the seconds, let me sell you a bridge...the one that goes directly from Dallas to St. Th. That way you can drive and avoid the air travel nonsense completely. The price is right!

Joewr...what did he say? Sheesh? Is that with two e's or 3? And how many s's and h's?:mean:

Dear Malleycat:

There has been some discussion of diving after flying. As far a gas bubble formation goes. The argument is something like this. The depressurization in the aircraft cabin forms free-gas bubbles in the tissues. These do not completely shrink away when the plane lands at the dive destination. When the diver is in the water, the bubbles, formed on the airplane, now act as nuclei for the dive. The diver is at greater risk, so the argument goes, for decompression sickness (DCS).:tree:

This is fine, but I am not aware of any laboratory work to test this. In addition, I would seriously doubt that many nuclei are formed on the plane or that many of them would survive the dive.

The point about dehydration, however, is well taken and is real. Never forget this aspect.

Dr Deco. :doctor:

Thanks for the info, Dr. Deco. :) I do appreciate it. For some reason I could have sworn that I have been told to wait 12 hours after flying before diving. Guess not....I just have to make sure I'm not tired from my travels. :D

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom