Diving after heart surgery - Mitral valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khrissi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Difficult one this. Partner now having heart surgery. Experienced diver >700 plus dives. Deep Technical diver also. 56 years old. Not had Covid but vaccinated. Leaking Mitral valve, getting new seal put in,previously fit 104lbs. So.

A) possible to dive after a full recovery?
B) Dive Drs examination obviously before diving.
C) Precautions whilst diving EG depth and duration.

Comments gratefully received.

K

Check with DAN (the other one) and then go from there.. See Below..... Lots of simular threads too..

Difficult one this. Partner now having heart surgery. Experienced diver >700 plus dives. Deep Technical diver also. 56 years old. Not had Covid but vaccinated. Leaking Mitral valve, getting new seal put in,previously fit 104lbs. So.

A) possible to dive after a full recovery?
B) Dive Drs examination obviously before diving.
C) Precautions whilst diving EG depth and duration.

Comments gratefully received.

K
Hi @Khrissi , theoretically yes, with the caveats that you already outlined - clearance for full physical activity and an evaluation by a diving referee. UKDMC page linked below.

Best regards,
DDM

This can't answered in short.
If his sternum is sawn open (sternotomy) he can no longer lift heavy. The sternum is a flat bone and never grows back together. Only wires and gristle hold it together. These wires can actually break under stress. "Light diving" without much heavy gear should be ok (e.g. put the tank on in the water first). This is not the case with a lateral minimally invasive heart surgery, imho it is possible to dive after. Of course, the scars inside must have healed!

I had triple bypass at 54 twenty two years ago. Never heard of the sternum not fusing back together, I dive doubles and I lift weight, heavy weight with no problem

Bones will fuse back together, however, there are a small percentage that do not (called a non-union). Now days in addition to wires, the surgeon often put in a plate or two (with screws) to help hold the sternum together.

That being said, I wouldn't lift anything heavy until the chest x-ray shows a full union of the sternum.

There will no new bone build up at the sternum, only (strong) cartilage. Never seen a screwed plate at my clinic, but knowing its existence.
I had triple bypass at 54 twenty two years ago. Never heard of the sternum not fusing back together, I dive doubles and I lift weight, heavy weight with no problem
Sound like a superb recovery! How long you did wait with diving after the surgery? The sternum fuses only by cartilage - no new bone material.

There will no new bone build up at the sternum, only (strong) cartilage. Never seen a screwed plate at my clinic, but knowing its existence.

Sound like a superb recovery! How long you did wait with diving after the surgery? The sternum fuses only by cartilage - no new bone material.
12 months.

Back
Top Bottom