Diving and altitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We routinely have trips here where we are at the coast and do 2 dives on a Friday, 2 on a Saturday and 1 on a Sunday. All early morning (the doubles done by 12-1, and the single dive generally before 9). On the Sunday we then drive back to Johannesburg which sits at 1600m roughly. We take our time getting back and generally only hit the altitude later in the day.

I guess the altitude isn't 8000ft, but it is still altitude Level 2 (>1500m) so it is a concern. But I think with the shallow last dive and time in between it makes up for it. It's all this area knows and thousands do it regularly. Not to say it is right, I would rather wait, but its how it works here.

When I did my IDC/IE in 6 years ago, it was also in Sodwana, and we had been diving for 10 days + fatigue +stress etc. so I skipped on the last days diving to off gas nicely before coming back.

Same was when I left zanzibar after diving almost every day, 2 dives a day for months. I took a good couple days off before my flight. Rather be on the safe side whenever you can.

I know that the risk of DCS increased if you go higher above sea level after a dive and that you should not fly until 24 hours has passed after a dive (This is also a requirement of my insurance).
There may be instances on holiday where I do 2 dives in a day each of about 45 minutes at 10 to 18 meters. What are the guidelines on going on trips to altitude the following day in the 6,000 to 8,000 ft range?
You could buy the BSAC 88 Tables for level 1 to 4 (sea level to 3000m),

I have written a new, more current, and more detailed explanation of the issues involved with an ascent to altitude. You can find it on my resources page.

Very interesting article! I must say!

I have written a new, more current, and more detailed explanation of the issues involved with an ascent to altitude. You can find it on my resources page.

Thank you for posting. I have some reading to do and I might understand some of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom