Diving and an ACL Injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeyU

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

I am new to these boards, but I have lurked here for a little while because of the abundance of info on these boards.

I am fairly new to diving. I have been on 3 Discover dives (resort course). I was gung ho about finally getting my certification this summer but......

I tore my ACL in a soccer game 3 weeks ago.

I need to put off surgery until Christmas due to work, but I still wanted to become certified before my surgery. Am I crazy to try this? Should I just wait? My surgeon says he is certified, and doesn't see why I couldn't become certified prior to surgery. My question is will the open water dives be difficult with the instability in my knee. I think my knee will make it through the classroom part:D.

All second opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Joe

I am not a DR, so take this FWIW.

Can you lift and carry and walk with 40, 50, 60 pounds or more of gear? Can your knee hold up the stress of finning? In the pool you have very little to do physically, but OW can be very different, with currents and what not.

I guess it can't be that bad or you would not be able to put off the surgery until Christmas, but still, I think you may be taking a risk by going forward now.

But then I am not a doc, so who knows? Maybe the ACL has nothing to do with diving.

Welcome to ScubaBoard and diving in general.

If you haven't found it already, you may want to have a look in the Diving Medicine forum. You might actually want to have a moderator move this thread there, since several MDs with dive experience also hang out there. Someone just asked a very similar question:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/236209-cancel-dive-trip-due-torn-acl.html

A couple of particularly useful comments to highlight: Since ACLs vary so much, your doctor is probably in the best position to give you definitive advice. The other thing to keep in mind is that gear weighs a fair amount. A standard 80 cu. ft. aluminum tank weighs upwards of 40 lbs filled. I see from your profile that you're a northerner, so if you're diving anywhere near where you live, that means a wet or dry suit and lead, so total weight in gear could be anywhere from 60 to 100+ lbs. Not much of an issue once you're in the water, but can take some getting used to moving around the surface. There are ways around all this, but it helps being aware of them and the limitations going in.

Good luck.

I was diving before and after surgery for a torn medial meniscus, not as serious as your injury, but am 64 years old. Was able to do this with minimal discomfort. Problem, of course, will be moving on land with gear. Possibly you can gear up in the water. Good luck.

Possibly you can gear up in the water. Good luck.

Not during class, he will have to learn and practice how to assemble and don gear on land, and also practice giant stride entries.That means walking around kitted up.

During the giant stride, all your weight will be pivoting on one leg, and then the other gets the full force of the water pushing against your fin. Both legs and knees will be stressed during that manuever.

Not only will you deal with front to back force, but many times the fin will get cocked slightly sideways and will apply lateral force as well while swimming.

I would have someone who really knows both knees and diving forces examine you before getting in a class.

And now that I think about it, I wish to retract my earlier statement that the pool won't be too bad. It could very well be very hard on your knee.

I do know alot of people who dive and also have bed knees, I just am not sure what affects an ACL injury will have.

As bleeb stated shannonjon had a similar question, and I stand corrected on the bleeding and embolism issue. The rest I hold to having been there, done it, did it, shouldn't have, I ended up causing more swelling, & pain. Definitely read the previous post TS &M had good info I just chimed in because I actually had a torn ACL, MCL and meniscus issue. ACL repair is very indepth surgery, and needs monitored rehab initially not to cause further injury.

TG

I'd advise against it. My GF tore her ACL a while ago, recovery to 100% strength can take up to a year, not my wisdom, this is what the doctors told her. Considering what she has been able to do before and after surgery I would strongly advise against getting certified until this injury is fixed. You just risk doing more damage.

PS: I am not a MD.

You have to consider where your open water dives will be conducted. You will be getting into and out of the water probably with a full set of gear and possibly weight, So you'll probably be walking or climbing with an additional 50 lbs. I dove before my knee surgery (holding off until the weather cooled) and had problems. My surgery was not an ACL. I would definitely talk to your Doctor and find out how much additional damage you'll do. After rehab, treat your self to the open water course.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to these boards, but I have lurked here for a little while because of the abundance of info on these boards.

I am fairly new to diving. I have been on 3 Discover dives (resort course). I was gung ho about finally getting my certification this summer but......

I need to put off surgery until Christmas due to work, but I still wanted to become certified before my surgery. Am I crazy to try this? Should I just wait? My surgeon says he is certified, and doesn't see why I couldn't become certified prior to surgery. My question is will the open water dives be difficult with the instability in my knee. I think my knee will make it through the classroom part:D.

I wouldn't worry. I snapped my ACL about 15 years ago and I decided to live with it rather than risk the surgery and go through the six month rehabilitation. I've not had any problems with diving a couple of times a week for years.

Edit: I notice someone raises the concern of tank weight. Well, I dive steel doubles! Just be careful walking over rough or slippery ground.

Hi Everyone,

All second opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Joe

My for what it's worth is that if you have a surgeon in whom you have enough confidence to let him cut on you......follow his advice........if you have any doubts about his advice......then get a second opinion consult from another surgeon.

Back
Top Bottom