Diving and lupus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for guidance and information to give to my rheumatologist, who knows nothing about diving and relations to my lupus treatments.
I am otherwise pretty healthy, 60 yr old female, active physically with hiking (6-10 miles a week at altitude) and gym treadmill several times a week. Excellent heart (I had mitral valve repaired 4 yrs ago and now have a stellar cardio report from my doctor). Healthy weight and eating habits, no alcohol.

I am currently on Benlysta monthly infusions to control my lupus, which has stayed active the past several years and was worsening. The Benlysta has brought all my numbers down to normal or near normal range, and we are happy with this as my treatment My only real medical problems over the past 2 years has been bronchitis, three times in conjunction with a head cold or allergies combo, which was resolved with a week of antibiotics.

As a formerly active diver, 500+ dives, cold and warm water, shallow and deep.... I am wondering now about fitness to dive. I have no done any dives in past 2 years. At that time I only did 2 dives while on a cruise. Prior to that was a normal dive trip for me, with 15-20 dives per week average. I did this a few times a year for 14+ years, in addition to short weekend cold water dive trips. Never had DCS.

So here is my question..... is it too risky for me to dive now? I am very concerned about the lung thing, with the bronchitis issue. My husband thinks I am overreacting, and I am healthy to dive. I see my rheumatologist soon, for my 3 month visit, in addtion to my month infusions of Benlysta. I want to discuss this issue with her, but I know she isn't familiar with diving and lupus.

If you could give me a few of your thoughts, and what I might relay to her on my visit, it would be appreciated.

thanks
robin

Your first sentence asks about the the relationship between diving and your specific lupus treatments. There should be no issues with the Benlysta, particularly if you have been tolerating it well.
As you know, SLE can involve just a few or many organ systems with many degrees of severity. Sounds like your lupus is under control, and you are in generally good shape. The only organ of concern in your case relative to diving seems to be the lungs. While lupus can affect the lungs, it doesn't generally affect the them in a way to worry about pulmonary barotrauma. You've had bronchitis after colds. So have many of us.
Consulting a pulmonologist familiar with diving might be the thing to do to give you confidence about diving, but from what you present above, I wouldn't have concerns about you getting back into it in a measured way.
(I'm a retired rheumatologist)

Thanks, that makes me feel better.
I have not had any organ issues so far, and the Benlysta has been a godsend. Joint problems and sun sensitivity have been my primary issues but those seem to be minimized now.

Sounds like your lupus has been a milder sort, but as you know, people with lupus can be sun sensitive, and sometimes sun exposure exacerbates the lupus. Recreational diving usually involves sun exposure, but you live in a very sunny place, so should have an idea of how the sun affects you.
Good luck with control of the SLE and with diving if you choose to get back in it!

Yes... I am a sunscreen, long sleeve and hat kind of person!
My husband has also been out of diving for 2 years also since he had a couple of hip and knee surgeries (sport injuries, not replacements yet). He is anxious to get back, but we are taking it slow. We are taking a cruise next month, stopping in Roatan and Cozumel...so he can dive a few dives and see how his hip responds. He wants me to dive too and I am leaning towards at least diving Roatan since it is easy diving. I think a couple of dives would be a great indicator for both of us on whether we continue to dive or not. I do plan to discuss with my Rheumatologist when I see her in a few weeks, but as of today I think I might try a few dives. I doubt either of us will ever go back to 3-4 dives per day for repeated days.

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

In the past I've dated identical twins (separately, years in between and with the blessing of both sisters). Each suffered from lupus. It was amazing to me to see how one identical twin easily dealt with the lupus while the other was nearly incapacitated by it at the same age.

In the past I've dated identical twins (separately, years in between and with the blessing of both sisters). Each suffered from lupus. It was amazing to me to see how one identical twin easily dealt with the lupus while the other was nearly incapacitated by it at the same age.

Your observation shows two things about lupus:
One is the importance of hereditary factors and the other is the importance of a host of other factors not well understood or not understood at all that determine the course of the disease.

And the hardest thing about lupus is how it affects you mentally. It can cripple you with depression due to the inability to control it at times, and the fact it isn't cureable. It is what it is.... I have good days, and bad days, both physically and mentally. It is a tough one to live with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom