Diving and Ovulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know I am not to dive while pregnant and would not dive during the two weeks post-ovulation while waiting to find out if I became pregnant during a cycle. My question pertains to diving during the first two weeks of a cycle.

My husband and I are doing a 5-day liveaboard and I expect to Ovulate on the last day or two-three days after my last dive. Therefore, it would not even be possible to be pregnant while diving, but rather in the process of ovulating.

Is there any reason not to try to get pregnant during that cycle? Can air bubbles or anything impact an embryo that is conceived immediately following a dive-trip? I can't imagine diving impacts an egg much given that they are always there?

Thanks!

Hi runninggal900,

The following is by Martin M. Quigley, MD, a physician board certified in Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Endocrinology, and who completed his internship and residency at the National Naval Medical Center.

"Diving in Very Early Pregnancy

If you are planning a perfect holiday for diving, sun and you really want to try and conceive on the first three days of your ten day holiday, what do you do about the possibility of damaging the embryo?

Bottom line - you should probably go ahead and completely enjoy your dive trip. The reasons are multiple. First, a normal couple, actively trying to achieve a pregnancy, actually is successful only once in three or four months of trying to conceive - so the odds are that you won't get pregnant on this trip (although it's certainly not unlikely).

Second, the embryo does not actually attach to the wall of the uterus for about seven days, receiving its nourishment from fluids secreted by the Fallopian tube and uterus. Even though attachment to the wall of the uterus occurs about a week after ovulation, it is later in pregnancy (at least another week to ten days) before there is any effective maternal-placental blood circulation. The major theory for the cause of fetal malformations associated with diving concerns the possibility of transfer of intra-vascular bubbles from mother to fetus. As there is no effective circulation in the earliest stages of pregnancy we are considering, this is possible cause is not a concern.

Third, many thousands of women have been diving unknowingly at the same early stage of pregnancy you might be in - there is no evidence of an increase in miscarriages or other problems in these women who have been diving around the time of conception. In fact, before pregnant women were advised not to dive, several studies looked at women who dived throughout pregnancy. Although we no longer recommend diving during a recognized pregnancy, there is no solid scientific data to prove that diving is dangerous to the fetus.

Finally, the very early embryo is still composed of cells which have not yet undergone differentiation - that is, one cell isn't destined to be the heart, another the left arm, etc. If any single cell is damaged at this very early stage of pregnancy, other cells can "step in" to form the needed structures. Only later, after differentiation, will damage to a single cell likely result in an abnormality."

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such. Consult with your physician.

Hello Runninggal900:

As mentioned above, there were no reports of problems in the decades where women dived even throughout their pregnancy. That is an indication that we do not have a horrible problem, as it would have surfaced by now.

We do live at a time when consideration is given to prevention. It is recommended that tobacco use is a bad idea [in everyone], drinking alcoholic beverages in pregnancy is to be avoided, and seat belts should be worn by all occupants of a motor vehicle.

Thus, in concert with this, diving is considered to be a bad idea during pregnancy. The problems could be minor but give terrible second thoughts. In my hyperbaric medicine class, the instruction [Eric Kidwall, MD] stated, “If my kid were struggling with math homework, I would always wonder if my diving played a very adverse role.”

Before Pregnancy

To my knowledge, there is not any evidence to indicate that diving before conception carries any risk.

I wish all the best to you and your husband!

Dr Deco :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom