• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving and Seamanship

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Akimbo, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

Typically inland waters are “returning” clockwise around North America, and are denoted with a yellow stripe.

2. WeRtheOcean

WeRtheOcean Nassau Grouper

Oh, and be careful not to trip on the coaming. I once barked my shin, right through my pant legs, that way.​

3. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

That's why many sailors call the lower hatch coaming on watertight doors "knee knockers". Most range from shin knockers to trip hazards but knee knocker sounds better.

upload_2019-11-9_16-39-25.png

Obround submarine hatches are high enough to be knee-knockers. No matter what you call them, they can all draw blood.

4. Darnold9999

Darnold9999 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Learned something thanks. However the word “typically” covers it. Lots of exceptions in my local waters. Have a look at the channel between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Also Puget Sound. Lots of markers that are on actual flood not clockwise - others on clockwise not actual flood. Local knowledge or charts required.

5. Capn Mike

Capn Mike Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Wow, encyclepeadic.. I learned a few things.

6. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    On the boats we had real knee knockers. A picture is from the USS Albacore. Now imagine going through that at a run, needless to say one tries not to make a second error in judgement.

49-lg.jpg

@Akimbo note the pressure gauge above the door, it lets you know the pressure in the other compartment. A handy fact is you want to open the door without eating it.

Bob

Akimbo likes this.
  7. Wookie

That’s a submarine hatch, looks like the one between forward torpedo and con. I’ve both toured an S-boat and dived one on Trimix. It could be the one between aft torpedo and the engineroom I guess. At 6’2” and 300 lbs, I have a hard time passing through. Even at 6’2” and 240 it would not have been much better.

8. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

That's heading back into engineering. This Albacore was the diesel submarine built to test what would become the nuclear submarine hull. It's now a museum in Portsmouth, NH. The door is farmiliar, since it's standard WWII vintage, since the test depth is similar. The Nuc boats are the same opening but built heavier for the deeper depths.

On the west coast, the USS Blueback is a museum in Portland. The Blueback and her two sister ships were the last class of diesel boats built by the US, they used the Albacore design and are similar.

It's all about technique, and practice.

Bob

9. Wookie

I toured the George Washington in Port Canaveral while in nuke school in Orlando during the Ohio sea trials. That following Monday I found a Personnelman and removed my subvol from my records...

10. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

Was it the boat, or the inhabitants?

Bob