Diving Cayman While In Port on Cruise: Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyhimd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My partner and I will be diving Cayman while on a Royal Carribbean cruise. Time in port is limited (9am-5pm, with the ship being tendered), so it'll be tight. Any recommendations for a dive operator and dive locations?

We're trying to avoid the cruise line's house arrangements; we're advanced open water and do a lot of photography...taking the cruise line's cattle boat trip will likely mean being packed in with once-a-year novice divers, will be too limiting in the "stay with your group" sense, and probably would end up at some shallow and over-dived site.

Any recommendaions appreciated! Also hitting Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya/Majauhaul on the cruise, diving in each port (talk about a spacious liveaboard). Ideas for those places also welcome.

Thanks.

You might want to try and shore dive from the DiveTech site at Turtle Reef. It is about a 20 min cab ride north of Georgetown - and usually not crowded. They have a full service dive shop onsite

You can get information about it at:

www.DiveTech.com

Of the readily accessible shore diving sites, I would also suggest Turtle Reef at DiveTech for photography. Cathc any bus going to the Turtle Farm and then walk the 100yards down the road to DiveTech.

My second choice would be Sunset House, a short mile-long cab ride south of town. It's a little long to walk if you are carry gear.

We did the exact cruise it sounds like your doing. If you go w/ the cruise line operator in Caymen you'll use Redsail (I liked them good boats and staff) last dive let you go with just your buddy. Coz we just walked into Dive w/ Martin right down the sidewalk from the ship. Small groups. In Costa Maya get out of the Diamonds Intl area and head south, we did not dive there, but i heard there are 3 shops now. One guy even serves beers and food out of his house (good ppl, we got caught in a rain storm and they took us in) Have lots of fun

Oh I forgot in Belize since your time is limited go with the boat operator because the ship never gets close to land and the dive boats pick you up at the ship, then go far away. you can roll the dice and get a water taxi to shore and try to find a LDS but again its the time thing. I think we were with Hugh Parky? can't remember

Back
Top Bottom