Diving & Children :babycrawl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finnatic:
It's very simple...bring your own reliable babysitter. Perhaps a teenage niece or nephew or other person whom you trust. Also, many resorts can provide a reliable babysitter. I do understand your reservations regarding leaving a child that young with an unknown babysitter. Personally, I could not do that and would opt for the first choice. It is the growing pains of young marrieds with children..an extra expense for a dive vacation, but worth it to have your child with you. As an empty nester, I no longer have this problem, but I certainly identify with your concerns.
Everybody has a different situation. I could not bring myself to let a stranger look after my children. I also cannot indentify with people who go on vacation and then put their kids in "Daycare" while there. I think its pretty selfish to go away and then once there, pass off the kids so that the adults can "Enjoy" themselves. Vacations are about spending time as a family and building relationships and memories.

Just my 2 cents, im done venting.

In my case, my parents are disabled and just could not keep up with my 7 & 2 yr old. My wifes parents are over an hour away (whoo-hoo) and in the opposite direction of dive sites. Most of the people we feel comfortable about leaving our children with are in another state. We have 1 neighbor a few houses down whom we trust and use her on occasion to sit when we can get away. We try not to abuse it and pay her well for her time.

I am suprised to find that I/we are not alone in trying to secure competent childcare. But, I guess its human nature to think that you are the only one to be experiencing something.

Our vacation time usually revolves around the ocean. This year we are renting a house on the beach in Fla. We "may" be bringing a friend along or they may visit for a few days during the 2 week stay and this will allow my wife and I do get some diving in.

I know that this is way more than anybody wanted to hear or be forced to read, I just wanted to say that not everybody has the means to go away/diving as desired and have childcare avail. Everybody's situation is different and one should not feel bad for taking what probably amounts to 1 day a month and spending it with theire spouse away from the kids.

O.K, im done and I really mean it this time.........

Mikswi,

I thought I would clarify..reliable care is available for a morning or afternoon while Mom and Dad have a "play date", aka dive, but not always, lol. Each couples situation is certainly unique and diffierent. The point I think is to treasure this time as family, but if the opportunity is available, there is certainly no harm in Mom and Dad stealing a few hours here and there. Just the way we handled it and it worked for us. We've just returned from Bonaire and met with our now grown children. I remember the trips we enjoyed as a family and I know that they look forward to enjoying the same with their own families.

mikswi:
I am suprised to find that I/we are not alone in trying to secure competent childcare. But, I guess its human nature to think that you are the only one to be experiencing something.Our vacation time usually revolves around the ocean. This year we are renting a house on the beach in Fla. We "may" be bringing a friend along or they may visit for a few days during the 2 week stay and this will allow my wife and I do get some diving in.

Thank you, for sharing your wonderful story. When your in FL. look us up. We'd be glad to invite you both for a dive. Look at Scubaboard Clubs-FL Conch Divers..

scbababe:
Hello ladies, have any of you felt the guilt of leaving your little one with a sitter (even if she's good) to go diving?

It gets trickier: (1.) My biggest concern is that the child is not 1yr old yet. (2.) Furthermore, if I don't get to go diving should my buddy/hubby go without me? (3.) and if so...how much diving without me would be considered fair, (tolerable). (4.)Without it being unfair to the able-bodied - "dive master candidate"!!!(dive-a-ho)!!! (5) and yes, I've done the good wife/ mommy stay on the beach with baby- until daddy comes back from diving thing! :babycrawl

Male buddies,I'm very interested in hearing your views and opinions as well. Feel free to reply please...

I'm in an interesting position. My wife is pregnant now, due in November. I am left without my main dive partner for the summer!! I already feel guilty diving without her. We are planning a trip to Hawaii next spring, and of course, new baby will come along. Once again, this will cause restrictions to our diving. I don't really know how to get around it. I will say this: It took me several years to convince my better half to come diving. I would leave her on the beach many many times while I dove. Now that she is diving (And loving it!), I figure I owe her a few dives while I sit on the beach w/ the baby. As well, since she will be unable to dive for a while due to the pregnancy, she will be missing the sport. I want her to keep up her enthusiasm, since diving together is so much fun. I'm willing to be the one that sits out to let her enjoy herself. She was always willing to do it for me. But both of us would be happiest diving together...
I don't know if this sheds any male perspective on this.... but I hope so!!
Cheers

CDN ff:
Now that she is diving (And loving it!), I figure I owe her a few dives while I sit on the beach w/ the baby. I want her to keep up her enthusiasm, since diving together is so much fun. I'm willing to be the one that sits out to let her enjoy herself. She was always willing to do it for me. But both of us would be happiest diving together...
I don't know if this sheds any male perspective on this.... but I hope so!!Cheers

I'm glad your willing to stay out of the water when she can't join you, that says alot! I really like the part when you say you are happiest diving together (that's the reason for doing it in the first place!) Hawaii is nice,you'll love it! :dazzler1:

I have the same problem. My husband though is more than willing to sit on the beach and let me dive but then I feel guilty because that is why I started diving in the beginning. I just gotten divorced and always wanted to dive all my life and so his instructor took me and I am better than he is at some things. I hadn't got to do anything like this for years because of my ex husband. He thinks he is being really nice to me to let me make up for lost time, but I still feel bad if I go out diving without him. I have almost caught up with him dive number wise so I am stopping it when I do. We have family close by and so they can watch the kids so we both can dive or I won't at all. I love him to much and I want to share my experiences with someone I love not a stranger.

We started leaving our daughter with the grand-parents very soon, like 1 month old or so, if you trust people you can do it, and it's really important as parents to get that little break (and the first 3 years are tough :D). therefore we leave her quite often now and then (she's almost 3) to go out dancing, to do things for ourselves, and we even left her for 3.5 weeks last summer with her grand parents and great-grand-parents to enjoy the south of france fresh air and sea breeze. We headed of to mallorca for a week, and back home for 2 weeks of time off for us to sort out things in the house, do some housework and so on.

don't hesitate, and if you give enough time to your kid during the year and all over time, if you explain things and if the baby or toddler likes the person, he'll be thrilled to go :)

milkathecow:
(and the first 3 years are tough :D).

Shhhhh! You're not supposed to tell anyone, they have to find out on their own.... It's called entertainment for those that have been there before.

One of my wife's colleague just had their first baby, he came in today with blood shot eyes and was very tired as the baby didn't sleep much last night. Until now, I don't think he appreciated the lack of sleep that parents must endure. Until you experience it...

My wife doesn't dive and one of the things that works for us is I dive at night once the kids are in bed or very early in the morning. The kids may be up but I'm back before the day gets rolling along. She also goes out and does her thing while I look after the kids.

As for the original poster, both you and your husband have to get time in for each other and for yourselves. Which means being a parent when the other is out having fun.

Cheers,
Bill

beachdivequeenbelam:
I love him to much and I want to share my experiences with someone I love not a stranger.

Know you've said something that hasn't been said before. It is about sharing (diving) that experience with the one you love. It's almost like sharing an intimate moment. I want to be there when he sees something for the first time or viceversa...

You hit the nail on the head girl!!! :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom