Diving & Children :babycrawl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a wife, PADI instructor not practising since our son is born on 31/12/02.
If we do not have someone taking care of him we dive alternatively so there is always someone taking care of the boy. As for the your own personal buddy there is no problem. When you go diving with a group you always find a buddy. If not the underwater guide will become the buddy.

We are anxiously waiting he turn 8 years old so we can start learning him to dive (or at least try)

I am a new diver, and have only dove with my husband as my buddy. Likewise for him. I have no desire to dive without him - NONE. If he can't go, I wouldn't go. I'm PRETTY sure he would feel the same way. We have a 3 yr old daughter, and both times we've been diving one or the other sets of parents stayed with her. I could not bring myself to leave her with a babysitter at a resort; I don't even leave her with a babysitter at home. I can count on one hand - ONE HAND - the number of times he and I have gone out without her. Once to the movies, once to a James Taylor concert, once to OW Cert class, once to OW cert diving, and once to Mexico for a week.

Now that we are certified (since last October), we are going to try for one vacation with the family, and one diving vacation for us per year. If we can't do both, I suspect we'll opt for the family vacation.

Yes, we're sacrificing OUR time alone together, but that's the choice we made when we had our daughter. :)

My husband and I are fortunate...we have a 3 month old, 13 year old and 16 year old, not to mention my sister lives across the street from us. Sooo...if my 16 year old doesn't want babysitting time, my sister is more than happy to ablidge.

A.

scbababe:
I've also learned that it goes beyond confidence or assurance as a diver or maternal obligations; it's much more personal...However, besides being my buddy he is my hubby and the diving experience we share is a beautiful one, mainly because we share each experience together! (even when something goes wrong).

Fellow divers, as you may know diving is such a wonderful and beautiful experience. It's as intimate as it is personal and I guess I'm extra lucky to be able to share all of it with the one I love. It does take one to another level/dimension. For those of us who love the sea, being able to share what many may never see, with those closest to us makes it all the more personal and beautiful!! :wink: I've learned alot from all of your responces and perhaps even answered the original issue and then some. Thank's! :dazzler1:

I quoted my-self so that the last few that have posted may have a chance to read this again! To those that are maried and dive with your spouse or intimate other can you relate?

ok, I know this is an old thread... but oh well. It was good to read that others have these problems. Ours are (just turned) 4 & 5 and so not old enough to dive. :) To complicate things, oldest daughter is deaf, which means number of people that we can leave her with are about..... almost none. My parents sign a bit but that is about it. (of course there is her interpreter from school who is willing sometimes.. but gosh... she already has her 8 hours a day, 5 days a week!)

When we go to mexico we are usually there with other family members, but since none of them dive or approve of it (You will DIE!!!!) we get guilted when we leave the girls for one day of diving. We do like our family time.. but diving is US time which we get precious little of. (Imagine a week in Cozumel and only diving one day) sigh....

But you all had some good ideas and it was just encouraging to know there are others with struggles. Thanks for sharing...

I'm a single mom so when I want to go diving I have a very hard time finding a sitter. I have the whole guilt thing going on, plus I don't want to leave them with just anyone. If I can't get my parents to watch them then I usually don't go. So my diving has been limited this year. Hopefully by the spring I can find someone I trust enough to leave them with more often. BTW, I have a 6 year old son (2 more years til Scuba Rangers) and a 4 year old daughter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom