Diving Couple Wanted! (Preferably with kids)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftin' by

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy ya'll!

My wife, 9-month old daughter and I recently relocated to Houston from Cleveland, Ohio. For the last 18+ months, mine and my wife's diving desires has taken a backseat. The birth of our daughter has been the single most incredible thing to happen to me in my life however, it sure put a damper on our "waking up Saturday morning and deciding last minute to go diving" lifestyle. Relocating 1300 miles away has really taken it's toll too.

Anyway, long story short, we're looking for other diving couples in the Houston area to show us the ropes of Houston area swamp diving. More importantly, we're looking for other diving couples with small children that are in the same predicament as we are. Since we're both working professionals we feel we don't get to spend enough time with our daughter therefore we don't like the idea of leaving her with a baby sitter all day on a Saturday while we go dive. Alternatively, we've not had much luck finding a babysitter that would accompany us to a quarry and watch our daughter while were down. So the best scenario we came up with is to find a diving couple that we could join up at a local quarry, lake or river and "watch the kids" as the other couple dives and vice versa.

I know this might sound like a desperate plead but I figure it's the only way to get some reprieve from this ridiculous Houston heat! Oh, and go diving while knowing my daughter is in good hands with another couple/family seeking to do the same.

PM me if you're interested.

Welcome to Texas and Swamp Diving! I don't know if you'll find what you're looking for, I wish you luck!

I feel your pain dude, I feel your pain.

I'd take you up on it, but we're in Dallas. Welcome to Texas and the swamp.

TwoBit

Sorry I am no help but I do feel your pain. Maybe you can join a local group such as CHUM and you might have more luck with a local group. Welcome to Texas I to am a yankee but I have learned to love it here. Good luck with your search maybe you can find another couple and set it up so you rotate your dives. One is down with a buddy and the other is watching the kids then you switch for the surface interval.

Welcome to the Swamp and to the Great State of Texas. I wish I was closer maybe I could have helped more

How old are your kids and how old would you want the baby sitters to be? We have two boys ages 13 and 11.5 that are always happy to shepherd toddlers for $$, but, "they don't do diapers." Maybe we could work something out...dunno.

PS...I'm new around here and for some reason it won't let me add profile info yet, but we're up in the Woodlands and if having braved the waters of Braes Bayou doesn't qualify me to join the Swamp Divers, I don't know what does! :D

Thanks for all the warm welcomes but I'm not in pain, really I'm not. I have a wonderful life and family and I'm grateful for it all. We're just experiencing some conflicts of interest and trying not to burden anyone with our passion for diving.

BTW.... I should note that if anyone is wondering "Why don't they just leave the kid with some family?" It's because, we have no family here and we basically moved here without ever being here before. We have family across the country in California, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado and Illinois but unfortunately, none have made it to the great state of Texas yet.

Come'on now! There's gotta be another diving couple with young kids (no offense nrh) that are looking at doing this very same thing but didn't wanna ask? Trust me, it isn't an easy thing too do... I've been wanting to make this post for 2 months now! :paranoid:

Sorry can't help but know where your coming from ...

What we do/have done is have "mommy/daddy" days where one of us gets the
day to ourself (diving/movie/lake/nothing/sleep!!!). It's not the same as being
together but at least it is something. I'll never forget when she told me
the pee test was positive, I said "but we have scuba lessons next week", then
she came back after cooling off and tried again and I said "but you don't
understand I already paid!" I was UNDER the dog house!
They have been the greatest thing in our life and like you I would not change
a moment.

a.jpg

sambo.... what an adorable picture! I hope y'all have that in a frame somewhere. :)

Hi Driftin'by,

Can't be of direct help with the couple + kids thing myself, but surely would recommend that you try and stop by one of the meetings of CHUM (or a similar group) in Houston. We are a pretty active and very divers group of local divers (from a 5 tropical dives a year type of person to experienced cave divers) who try to get as many enjoyable and safe dives (and related activities) in for everybody.

You might want to have a look over at the board and if you feel this would be a bunch of people you could trust, come down to one of the monthly meetings or another event and meet up in person (might be short notice but there is one tonight). In my experience the local dives (i.e. Twin Lakes, Lake Travis, CSSP, Aquarena, ...) usually have someone topside (granted normally more to look after the BBQ for those hungry divers) while part of the group is down. So, I am sure that you will find more than enough volunteers to take care of your daughter. As an example, on a recent club trip to the Oriskany and some Florida springs, one of the members brought his family along and the diving schedule was juggled around, so that there would always be somebody looking after them while he was under.

Hope this helps in resuming the diving,
P

Back
Top Bottom