Diving CT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A small group of us will be @ Eastern point beach Sunday afternoon. Aiming to splash in around 4:30 pm. High tide is @ 6:09 pm....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

So ive dove all around new england but havent dove much in my home state of CT (bigelow hollow) but never found a good spot in the sound. I was kayaking this past friday near lighthouse park in East Haven and the vis didnt seem that bad (about 10 ft) and ive gone fishing/kayaking near bluff point and always wondered what the diving was like. anyone with any knowledge of dive-able spots along the CT coast or interesting lake diving spots? thanks

-Ty

I do not know the area well but if you have a kayak and learn how to dive off of it you will have much more access to dive sites other then a shore dive.

I have a site that I am checking out in Milford. I took my kids free diving there the other day. looked promising from what I saw. Going to throw on a tank and take a better look next week. I will keep you posted. looks to be a quick drop to 20 ft. vis wa meh, but I think that was partly due missing the tide. I will post more whenI have it.

Okay, here is the report on my experimental shore dives off of Milford CT. Take it for what it worth. I found this place about 3 miles east of milford harbor as the crow flies, called Merwin Point. I noticed it a while ago and my daughter reminded me of it after she visited the area again a few weeks ago. I took her and her sister there for some snorkeling after I took a look at it on google Earth and on the charts. It had some features that I found intriguing from what was available. it is a rocky shore made of shale and gravel protruding out into long Island Sound. It has some some underwater features that would make for good habitat and anchors for marine life. It also drops off to about 20-25 ft fairly close to shore. I made a total of three dives ( one snorkeling, two with SCUBA).
MerwinPoint.jpg
The first experimental dive was to the west of the point and is marked in Magenta. Vis was around 5-8ft and I had a good look around and was finding the botttom at about 15' and the place seemed to have potential. The bottom terrain had lots of rocks and boulders with attached plants and soft corals.

The second and third dives were occurred just to the East of the point marked in Red. I'll be honest, the only reason I chose this spot on the point was the ease of access. I could dump off my gear on the sidewalk and then loop around the corner to park on an unposted side street. there is a low sea wall that made gearing up easy and couple steps into the water. The bottom here slopes off to about 25 ft and is made up of medium rocks to boulders. I swam due South for quite a distance and the the visibility started out at 5-10 ft, but quickly deteriorated to under 5' and almost to nothing as the dive progressed. I did not see any thing that indicated that Lobsters were burrowed under the rocks, but I am sure they are there. The problem with this area it the suspended silt in the water. It was so silty that It actually became hard to read the numbers on my dive computer. On the second dive I had to use my knife to cut my self free of old fishing lines TWICE. The good new was that I did get a lot of practice navigaiting by compass in low visibility. The two tank dives were almost a week apart and the first was about high tide, the second was an hour before high and had the poor vis. I think this sight might be worth another try when the weather gets colder and the water clears up some. It may also be better on the western side of the point which I think is more protected from current and possibly less silty. My kids loved the snorkelling around the rocks and want to go back. I think I'll save the cost of a fill and leave the tanks at home for the moment. I just thought i would put this out there for anyone looking for a shore dive in CT. Not many choices, but this is the one I looked at.

"The problem with this area it the suspended silt in the water. It was so silty that It actually became hard to read the numbers on my dive computer."

That's the trouble with most of the CT shore line and Long Island Sound. The number of rivers flowing out of CT dumping slit make it "diver unfriendly"

Just take a boat ride on the CT river and imagine that flowing into the sound twice per day.

"The problem with this area it the suspended silt in the water. It was so silty that It actually became hard to read the numbers on my dive computer."

That's the trouble with most of the CT shore line and Long Island Sound. The number of rivers flowing out of CT dumping slit make it "diver unfriendly"

Just take a boat ride on the CT river and imagine that flowing into the sound twice per day.

Granted :( I learned to dive in the sound. The Carribean it isn't. On the upside, it is hard to freak me out...

Granted :( I learned to dive in the sound. The Carribean it isn't. On the upside, it is hard to freak me out...

Back in the old days it was said "If you can dive in New England you can dive anywhere". You don't need to go that far south. North Carolina has 30'-100' vis and the best wreck diving this side of heaven! You can drive and bring your own gear, doesn't get any better.

Back in the old days it was said "If you can dive in New England you can dive anywhere". You don't need to go that far south. North Carolina has 30'-100' vis and the best wreck diving this side of heaven! You can drive and bring your own gear, doesn't get any better.
the old days are over
Are you talking trash or diving ?
Just because Stevie's being a Lima delta doesn't mean you can too!

Lima delta= limp dick
Sorry stevie

Dave is restless and wants to hit the Larchmont sat

Back
Top Bottom