Diving CZM in early February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritaMike

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm planning to go to Cozumel January 31, 2018 (Birthday present to myself) and stay for at least one week - maybe two. When is carnival? I don't dive with a wetsuit. Haven't been to Coz in Feb since the late 80's so I don't remember the need for one. I've somewhat outgrown my wetsuits. I'm not sure I can lose enough girth to fit in them by the first of Feb. Do I REALLY need one in February?
Any comments, suggestions appreciated.
Cheers - M²

I'm planning to go to Cozumel January 31, 2018 (Birthday present to myself) and stay for at least one week - maybe two. When is carnival? I don't dive with a wetsuit. Haven't been to Coz in Feb since the late 80's so I don't remember the need for one. I've somewhat outgrown my wetsuits. I'm not sure I can lose enough girth to fit in them by the first of Feb. Do I REALLY need one in February?
Any comments, suggestions appreciated.
Cheers - M²

It is very subjective. The water temp should be about 79F, if it's anything like Feb 2016 or 2017. Sea temperature Cozumel in February. Cozumel sea surface temperature in February. North America Quintana Roo Mexico.

Some people don't need a wetsuit. Others, like me, will wear a 3mm or even a 5mm for consecutive days of diving. YMMV

Dogbowl nailed it. It was consistently 79 to 80 during our mid February this year.

I seem to usually go in February. First time, m-a-n-y years ago, I dove comfortably in a t-shirt (just a few dives) - and IIRC, got a nasty sunburn. Last year, I wore a 3mm shorty (5 days of diving) and was generally comfortable. Am going back this February and will dive 8 days in the same 3 mm shorty.

As stated above, it all depends on you and other variables. Most folks seem to want a wetsuit, especially if diving repeatedly. Many say they're cold even with a wetsuit if diving a lot. If you're going to stay a week or more, I assume you will be diving most days...and I'll go out on a limb and guess that you will get cold.

Perhaps time to consider a crash diet, or a new wetsuit.

Dove many years in a row in Feb for my B-Day and never needed a wet suit. Yes, it is subjective but, this is exactly why I love to dive in Cozumel. Just returned a few days ago and I swore I'm never bringing my 3mm again for "just in case" :)
Cheers,
John

I avoid wearing a wet suite when at all possible. I went in Feb 2016 and dove 7 days in a row. I took a cheap 3/2 full suite and a 2.5 shortie with me. Dive 1 I didn't use a suite. Then I wore the 3/2 for a while. By the end of the week I was using both of my suites. It is not that my teeth were chattering but it was just more comfortable wearing them. There was one dive though that we swam through some fresh water runoff, could see the water shimmering, and my computer showed 74 degrees. My toes were a little blue after that dive. It was sunny the whole trip. Other than the short 74 degree incident I saw temps between 78 and 79.

Diet starts day after tomorrow. :) I got a gallon of ice cream in the freezer.
Now to do something about my face! :rofl3:

Cheers - M²

Fat Tuesday is on the 13th. The main parades downtown should be on Saturday, Sunday and of course Tuesday.

My trips to Coz are all around the first 2 weeks of Feb & have been for many years. I am in a very small group of people who do not use a wet suit. The reason is simple in that I have a big pool that NEVER gets warmer than the water in Cozumel. Most might be comfortable during the dive but quickly chill when back on the boat because they are wet. I think you will want a wetsuit & maybe a boat coat.

Yeah, diving the first day or two might be okay without a wetsuit but your core temp will drop and successive dives you will get cold. Also, when we were in Cozumel in early March one year, sitting on the boat after the dives was freezing! Everyone brought boat coats and towels to wrap up. It wasn't pleasant when it was cloudy especially. We were wearing 5mm suits and we still were freezing by end of the week just because of the surface intervals and ride back to dock afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom