Diving death at Eilat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJetDriver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Folks,

Now hear this. Now hear this.

We have had notification of a diving death at Eilat. The deceased was an experienced diver and doctor, approximately 60 years old. The cause of death is said, at this point to be a heart attack.

His partner was injured in the rescue attempt, due to DCS, and was treated at a chamber. He is recovering. He is also an experienced diver.

While it is not, in fact, part of the statistic, both men were diving rebreathers.

More to follow...That is all.

First and foremost, my sympathies go out to his family and friends. It is always sad to hear of these incidents. Thankfully, there are less than one hundred deaths that occur while scuba divering each year.

Rob, thanks for pointing out that not all deaths that occur while diving rebreathers are "rebreather deaths". However, this will still be logged as a "scuba diving death" even if the cause was a heart attack. Interestingly, heart attacks that occur on the golf course are not logged as "golfing deaths".

Just my two cents as a cardiologist.

First I would like to offer my most heartfelt condolences to the family and hopes for the buddy that he makes a full recovery. It sounds like he gave it everything to save his buddy.

If somebody dies of a heart attack while golfing they usually don't aspirate water. So it is much easier to tell that they died from a heart attack. If somebody has a heart attack while diving they tend to aspirate water. With lungs full of water I would think it difficult to tell if the heart attack occured because of the drowning or the drowning occured because of the heart attack.

The other item is that the original poster said the rebreather didn't play a part, but they have no details yet. Sounds to me like anything is game right now.

I am getting a sinking feeling though when every death, but one, that I have heard of since I have been on this board has involved a rebreather. I for one would still venture to say that percentage-wise there are more deaths involving rebreathers than there are of rec divers.

rockjock3:
I am getting a sinking feeling though when every death, but one, that I have heard of since I have been on this board has involved a rebreather. I for one would still venture to say that percentage-wise there are more deaths involving rebreathers than there are of rec divers.

Well, aside from the fact that rebreather divers ARE rec divers, if you have meaningful facts, quote them. If not, please do not spout opinions that have no basis in fact or education, especially where someone has died, or been injured.

We will leave the meaningful opinions to people with the requisite training, such as "Debersole" above, who is BOTH a cardiologist, AND a rebreather diver.

As a rebreather diver, Scuba Instructor and soon to be a rebreather instructor I must say that RBs although potentially more dangerous than open circuit...are really ONLY AS SAFE AS THE DIVER USING THE UNIT. I hate seeing RBs labeled as death machines...YBODs (for Inspirations) and various other nickames.

I have seen countless RB divers do stupid things...things that directly contradict what is taught during training. Im talking about things such as diving with inadequate gas supply, diving beyond ones means, using 'sorb that is potentially wet or has more than its share of time on it...IVE SEEN SO MUCH AS AN RB DIVER TURN OFF THEIR ELECTRONICS AND CONTINUE A DIVE BECAUSE THE ALARM WAS GOING OFF AND IT WAS ANNOYING THE PERSON. All of these things lead to one becoming another statistic.

An RB when used properly is very safe...but then I have taken everything taught to me in my training and implanted it into my brain... a quote from my RB instructor was that "these machines will kill you if you let them" Its not a complicated issue at all. Just as is diving open circuit, if your actions are stupid, then ultimately death can result.

I think one major point to take note on is that although there are many recreational RB divers...many guys diving RBs are participating in extreme technical diving and push their limits. Regardless of whether on OC or an RB diver...these activites increase the risk.

My best regards go out to the diver's family and loved ones.

H2OPhotoPro:
I have seen countless RB divers do stupid things ... IVE SEEN SO MUCH AS AN RB DIVER TURN OFF THEIR ELECTRONICS AND CONTINUE A DIVE BECAUSE THE ALARM WAS GOING OFF AND IT WAS ANNOYING THE PERSON.
Depending on the unit and the alarm that can be the correct response and is indeed taught that way during training, Mike. Just not on the rigs you use. :wink:

Right on target, BigJetDriver. :linkz:

OK
I know nothing abour RB but I've heard that in their missfunction they can cause a heart attack. At least in Poland we had such accident. Diver died of a heart attack but it was caused by rebreather not by natural heart failure.
Could you comment on this?
Mania

mania:
OK
I know nothing abour RB but I've heard that in their missfunction they can cause a heart attack. At least in Poland we had such accident. Diver died of a heart attack but it was caused by rebreather not by natural heart failure.
Could you comment on this?
Mania

If you have heart disease, anything that happens that decreases blood flow to the heart can potentially cause a fatal heart attack. It can happen walking up the stairs, getting the mail, a coronary artery oclussion in your sleep.

A rebreather failure (or diver error) can cause this, or maybe it was just his time to have the big one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom