diving deep on the afternoon trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi, are there any dive op's on coz that dive deep ( 85- 95ft) on the afternoon trips? or do they all just go to the sallow platform reefs. I would like to do a afternoon 2 tank dive that is a repeat of the morning dive, deep dive than a shallow dive. Thanks Mark.

You have enough dives to know this but it should be mentioned anyways....Are you sure you want to schedule each day as a quasi "reverse profile"? Dives should be done deepest to shallowest as a rule. I know many who have said this is just a rule (I have had that discussion with several already) however it is something I choose to follow unless it is unavoidable.

Just a consideration for you to think about and that is all. You are the one planning your dive with the required training (one can only assume) :D

For what it is worth, I can say that Papa Hogs was very flexible in the sites you dove....within reason. Talk to them and I am sure they work to make you happy as long as they deem it a safe plan.

Hi, are there any dive op's on coz that dive deep ( 85- 95ft) on the afternoon trips? or do they all just go to the sallow platform reefs. I would like to do a afternoon 2 tank dive that is a repeat of the morning dive, deep dive than a shallow dive. Thanks Mark.

We've done that sort of diving a lot with Dive Cozumel. We requested specific sites and it was never a problem.

Ken

We also did Santa Rosa wall on an afternoon dive last week with Del Mar Aquatics, which is a deeper dive. But we were doing single tank afternoon dives, not 2 tanks.

Well....My wife and I were doing this very thing in the Caymans in early October. Long story short....Wife got two 5 hour rides in the chamber doing a T6.... Now...Not saying the reverse profiles were the cause or that it even contributed, but it's probably not somthing I'll do in the future...Sometimes you have to get hit in the head with a brick for stuff to sink in....

am I wrong to assume I can do what my computer allows me to do? If I get plenty of sleep, don't drink any alcohol, hydrate with lots of water, ascend slowly and do a 5 minute safety stop.

I am not being sarcastic a would relay like to here what you think.

Computers are basically designed conservative to compensate for the fact that nobody can say exactly how each individual will be impacted by diving. Everybody is different. A computer is typically a good guide (excellent even) however I think we need to practice some good sense before hand just to make sure we are safe. After all, your computer is nothing more than ONES and ZEROES. It is nothing more than algorithms....fancy formulas. Maybe some will call it being a "fuddy duddy" but a good idea is to never reverse profile your dives if there is no need. Will you die if you do? Probably not but that is depending on severity of the reversal and many other factors. Are you at greater risk no matter what your computer says if you do? Definitely. So, really it is risk assessment. Is the possible risk worth it when you can simply talk to the operators and come up with a better option?

Just my 2 cents.

am I wrong to assume I can do what my computer allows me to do? If I get plenty of sleep, don't drink any alcohol, hydrate with lots of water, ascend slowly and do a 5 minute safety stop.

I am not being sarcastic a would relay like to here what you think.

Okay, let's put all the agency crap away and see what DAN has to say:

DAN:
There is no "physiological" danger or significant alteration related to reverse profiles that has been scientifically proven. That is, the physiology of the uptake and desaturation of inert gas is not changed by a reverse profile.
Obviously, however, a deeper dive following a shallow and possibly long one, would impose on the already supersaturated tissues a further significant saturation, in a short time, since the driving force for the uptake of inert gas is stronger with the increase of depth and inert gas partial pressure.
The end result would be a significant inert gas supersaturation of the tissues, rapidly approaching the No-D limit or reaching times which may make Decompression Stops necessary. This can be easily seen by computing such dives on tables or scrolling the simulation on a dive computer.
It is known, also from our recent studies, that the probability of high degree gas bubbles and of decompression illness is linearly proportional to tissue nitrogen partial pressure and depth.
A symposium on reverse dive profiles was held in October 1999 in Washington DC, at the Smithsonian Institute, co-sponsored by DAN, DEMA and others. The Reason was to substantiate with scientifically sound findings the current statement by many Training Agencies that reverse dive profiles are not recommended due to an increased risk of DCI. The conclusions of the workshop are the following:
"The Findings
1)Historically neither the US Navy nor the commercial sector have prohibited reverse dive profiles
2)Reverse dive profiles are being performed in recreational, scientific, commercial and military diving
3)The prohibition of reverse dive profiles by reacreational training organizations cannot be traced to any definite experience that indicates and increased risk of DCS
4)No convincing evidence was presented that reverse dive profiles within the no-decompression limits lead to a measurable increase in the risk of DCS
The Conclusions
We find no reason for the diving community to prohibit reverse dive profiles for no-decompression dives less than 40 msw (130 fsw) and depth differentials less than 12 msw(40fsw)."

In simpler words, if diving is performed within the no-d limits and the different dives are done within a maximum difference of 12 meters, the current evidence does not show any demonstrable increase in risk of DCI.

My wife's computer was within its limits...No drinking, stayed hydrated, no quick assents, 3-5 minute(at least) safety stop....

My wife's computer was within its limits...No drinking, stayed hydrated, no quick assents, 3-5 minute(at least) safety stop....

You won't be alone sticking to the standard plan..First dive deep followed by less deep. SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom