Diving Earplugs?! What the...?

Vented Earplugs for Diving

• Great Idea!!!

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Wouldn't touch it with a 10m cattle-prod!!

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta Aria

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This question probably belongs in "Equipment" but I'll post it here because I've seen a few posts concerning ear trouble and equalizing.
I was reading a recent Dive mag and there was an advertisement for Vented plugs . These earplugs apparently (or supposedly) help a diver equalize easier, especially those who have ear trouble :lightbulb . If true, alot of potential divers or newer divers who have these problems could dive freely without concern. Once you get past 20' a valve opens allowing H2O in. These plugs are not solid, they have valves.
This makes me very edgy :confused6 . My ears start feeling pressure within a couple feet of the surface and I have to equalize by 12 fsw. I have a problem with the 20' fsw thing, why 20'? If a diver who has ear probs feels it within 12' won't they feel it just as much at a lower depth? I've always been taught that NOTHING which can restrict water flow belongs in ones ears when diving, too much risk if injury.
What do you all think?
I'm not trying to Promote or Blast the plugs. It just makes me very edgy that one of my ear-troubled diver buddies might purchase this, thinking it's the holy grail of diving and get deep-sixed on this in a painful way :crying2: .
Are these Plugs a good idea? Regardless of your standing, why do you feel that way?
Thanx all

I used the early plugs last year in San Salvador due to doing 17 dives in a week. Ears started bothering me and the Dm suggest them. They worked great, allow me to equalized at will and at any depth. The values open as needed. Do not have the name with me, but they were discussed on the forum before.

RonC

After my 4th cert dive, both my Eustachian tubes collapsed and I couldn't dive for about 5 weeks. The vented valves were recommended to me, and I tried them on my next dive. By the time I got down to about 20 ft., my ears were hurting badly and I removed the vented valves. Haven't tried them since, though they are still bouncing around somewhere in my duffle bag.

I've used Doc's Proplugs for years. Tanya Streater introduced them to me at DEMA several years ago. They are very non-intrusive (soft, pliable, fitted) and have a small hole in them to vent. I started using them to keep the water out of my ears during the 3-4 hour pool sessions but started using them all the time. No more one legged dancing to get the water out!!! As for equalizing, a LOT of my students see mine and try them. At $12/pair, they're probably the cheapest thing going. I never have to do any more than swallow to equalize, but then I never really had too much problem equalizing before the plugs. For $12, can't hurt and MAY help.

My brother perforated his ear drum diving a few years ago. It healed and then happened again a year later. He thought he would have to give up diving. He then started using Doc's Proplugs with great success. He swears by them. He still has to be very careful about equalizing slowly but the plugs have helped.

They are great........we carry them if anyone needs them.

Happy Diving

Pro Plugs are fantasic. I've been using them for about 3 years now. Not only do they help you clear but if you are doing any cold water diving they keep the cold water off the eardrum. Which is what causes the eardrum to harden resulting in a loss of hearing over time.

The Doc's Pro Plugs do work, SKBRDVR1 Suggested them to me, I bought the fitting kit and they are awesome. You do need to remember all the stuff you learned in class, like early and often equalizing (they don't replace the need to equalize, just help with it). If you are looking for plugs I would suggest Doc's Pro Plugs too, but you need to get the right fit, and Doc's Plugs will send you a kit for fitting properly It's like $3.00, well worth it if you ask me.

Oh, BTW I wouldn't be too concerned with the dangers of having them in, if you feel discomfort during your decent.... just take them out, and stick them in your BC pocket. Hope this helps.

Never even HEARD of them. I'll have to check em out - at $12 it's no biggie if they don't work well for me / don't like em.

D.

I was more than skeptical about them and found them a couple weeks ago while in Largo for $9. I got fitted (this is important) and dove with them while I was there. I never would have believed they would work but they do help and they keep the water out of your ear to a great degree. No slushy feeling after 3-4 days of diving. Equalizing is also much easier because it holds the tubes open in your ears.

I am sold on them.

Back
Top Bottom