Diving Fatality in Brockville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taz22 once bubbled...

If the victims 1 stage failed, using his own octopus wouldn't help.

Is that what happens when you have a 1-st stage failure - it can manifest itself as "out-of-air"? Would that be from a stuck piston or some such thing? Just curious...

This is a tragic event, the Gaskin is such a great dive.

rollins once bubbled...

Is that what happens when you have a 1-st stage failure - it can manifest itself as "out-of-air"? Would that be from a stuck piston or some such thing? Just curious...

This is a tragic event, the Gaskin is such a great dive.

Everything depends on the type of regulator that is used as you know there are some many types know-a-days it is hard to keep track of them all.

We will have to wait until the investigation is complete to find out what happened. I was just speculating that if he wasn't getting air from his 2nd stage and his oct, why did his buddy not offer up his oct or the diver simply reach and grab for it if he wasn't getting air from either of his own.

I have heard of one situaton where a divers pressure gauge was not working and he thought he had plenty of air but his tank was empty and he had to use his dive buddies oct to get back to the surface.

I had a first time experience while diving in Kingston earlier this year. I was buddied up with someone I didn't know so I'm glad we are both good communicators. I was just thinking that perhaps something similar happened to the doctor.

Dive #1 - We had the same size tanks (lp stl 95s) and consumed air at about the same rate.

Dive #2 - same tanks again. About 20 minutes into the dive she's giving me the out of air signal. I immediately gave her my octo thinking 'what's with this?'. Then we looked at her pressure gauge and saw that it still had 2000 psi. So she stuck her reg. back in her mouth. No go and back onto the octo. We quickly realized her tank wasn't fully on. Neither of us had experienced that given it took 20 minutes for the tank to not deliver enough air for her.

No matter what, my thoughts are with his friends, family and buddy.

Paula

taz22 once bubbled...
Just got in from my night dive and have a little bit more info.

At the time things happened only one charter boat was on the Gaskin ( Above n Below ). The male dive who passed away was french speaking ( sounds like from Montreal instead of Ottawa ) and in his early 40's.

Everyone is pretty tight-lipped about everything at this time. Will wait to see what more comes out of the investigation.

It is sad when something like this happens to one of our own. My prayers and thoughts are with his family!

:(

To get the story straight, not as the boat matters, Above n Below were not even at the scene. Yes they were on the Gaskin earlier in the morning but at the time were on the Lillie Parsons. The diver was on the boat called Blue Wave which used to belong to Diver's Paradise. Other boats on the scene were Newave and Underwhere?. The diver was from Quebec somewhere and so far the info we are getting was a medical condition only diving related because he was diving. All anyone should be concerned with right now is the diver's family and friends. The boat operators can not do anything for a diver 60' below the surface and a buoyant ascent as such pretty much stops boat operators from doing anything on the surface except arrange transportation

acoustic diver once bubbled...

To get the story straight, not as the boat matters, Above n Below were not even at the scene. Yes they were on the Gaskin earlier in the morning but at the time were on the Lillie Parsons. The diver was on the boat called Blue Wave which used to belong to Diver's Paradise. Other boats on the scene were Newave and Underwhere?. The diver was from Quebec somewhere and so far the info we are getting was a medical condition only diving related because he was diving. All anyone should be concerned with right now is the diver's family and friends. The boat operators can not do anything for a diver 60' below the surface and a buoyant ascent as such pretty much stops boat operators from doing anything on the surface except arrange transportation

I think if you read the Brockville Newspaper Story it does indicate the boats that were at the dive site at the time. I don't think I gave any inidcation that it was Jymi's fault or anything like that.

Information when something like this happens tends to be sketchy at best. I was simply passing along what I had heard and feel that the newspaper story, if you read it, has clarified the information presented in earlier posts.

My condolences to the family and friends of that diver, and sympathies for those who had to deal with the crisis. I hope they will piece together what happened. I hope the authorities make their report public so we can learn how to avoid these things. The Ontario Coroner's office told me a few weeks ago during the course of my research into dive fatalities that unless there is a full inquest, these dive accident investigations are kept out of the public domain. We are left wondering why and how.

taz22 once bubbled...

I am also wondering why they decided take the diver to Blockhouse Island instead of Centeen Park. Centeen is closer and Park Street ends right at the water there and it is closer to the Hospital and has less traffic.

Tazz, First you spread rumours about the charter boat it was off of and now you are questioning the course of actions that Tom and Mike chose to deliver the victim to EMS. Where are you coming from? How long do you think it would take them to get to Blockhourse from the Gaskin? Do you think the ambulance response time in Brockville is so good that they would be at Centeen Park when the boat arrived from the Gaskin? How would you move the victim from the boat up the 9 plus feet to the upper level? Dropping a basket would take longer than going to Blockhouse. Lets not question the rescue attempts!

My thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim as well as all those involved with the rescue attempts and the other divers that witnessed this tragic event.

Hello Again

I was just talking to my good friend Mike Kendal about this entire unfortunate mishap. It is believed that the Doctor may have been on some type of medication as police did find unone amounts of self prescribed medication in his hotel room afterwards and wether this was hart or asma medication is still to be determined. His BCD was inflated and his tanks were just under full letting all on board to believe that maybe a hart attack took place at depth leading to an embolism at the surface. When the diver reached the surface his reg was out of his mouth and mask off. Mike quickly noticed that the diver was face down with no response jumped in and dragged him back over to the boat were cpr was administered and a fast exit was immediately exorcised to shore. His buddy should of called his own dive and safely surfaced to make sure his partner was in good health. Lets leave it at this.

D M I

Hello 08/13/03

I Learned today that the doctor who died on the weekend sufferd a hart attack. This diver and his partner should of had more sence, as he was suffering from a small micro hole in his hart and was under hart pressure regulating medication. He and his partner had no business diving under these conditions. I hope that this will be lesson to all to stay out of the water when you are ill.

Happy Diving

D M I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom