Diving fatality in Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't understand how buddies get separated.

I guess that's why some agencies require buddy lines on all dives.

It's probably a combination of "ooh shiny" and lack of training/experience in most cases. In an ideal world, every diver would get certified to rescue diver+ before going diving with just a buddy.

Iruka,

Thanks for posting. I know these incidents are traumatic for everyone involved. You certainly went "above and beyond" in your attempt to rescue the victim.

Best wishes.

I'm a little confused about the buddy separation. That seems to be a missing
Piece of the event.
Even in very good visibility, it's important to be in very close
Proximity with your dive buddy. Clear conditions seem to lead to buddy
Team getting farther apart during their dives (so I've noticed).
I dive on MDA boats, if I don't book a 6-pack boat. The briefings
On MDA boats have always been very detailed. They are well organized,
And have a good diver recall and accountability system.
MItch

Iruka, I salute your courage.

If anything worked out properly in this incident, it is you returning intact and recovering the deceased in your first attempt.

I really hope you won't have to do this ever again, and you aren't left with any psychological trauma.

Kaza

Thank you for this and for your selflessness. As an instructor who is very strict when it comes to buddy protocol I hate to see these stories. Had the lady been the victim of a heart attack or stroke her buddy if in postion could at least have gotten her to the surface. IF he/she had received even then most basic rescue skills.

Buddy's get seperated for a number of reasons. In new divers it's usually a lack of attention or poor judgment and these are due to poor training where the buddy system has not been ingrained into them. These types of things do not have to happen. How many of you do predive checks that include actually removing your buddy's weights and replacing them? How many of you religiously follow the "slowest diver sets the pace" rule. In all areas. Descents, swim, ascents.

How many of you know how to bring an unconscious diver up from depth? Years ago every OW diver knew how. Some still do. How many of you observe arm's length as newer divers for the max distance you should be from your buddy even in 100 foot vis? When not diving alone I do. And my students better as well if I'm around or they will hear about it. And finally how many of your instructors told you in no uncertain terms that buddy seperation can and has resulted in divers getting very dead in some very nasty ways? Including on the surface.

If not the question is why not? An analysis of over a dozen deaths I did 2 years ago demonstrated that none of them would have happened had proper protocols been observed and people like Iruka would not have had to risk their lives in some cases to recover the victims IF they had been made aware of at the beginning of their training that as safe as this sport seems it can and will kill you. No matter what the flashy ads and people looking to increase numbers say.

In Irukas telling of the event he mentions he was unable to get the Captains attention by tapping on his tank. Most dive masters I have dove with use that method, generally with mixed results depending on how far someone gets from the group. Do any of you use "air activated noise makers" or other prefered method for getting another divers attention while diving?

In Irukas telling of the event he mentions he was unable to get the Captains attention by tapping on his tank. Most dive masters I have dove with use that method, generally with mixed results depending on how far someone gets from the group. Do any of you use "air activated noise makers" or other prefered method for getting another divers attention while diving?
Nope. Diving with one of those can give you a false feeling of buddy contact encouraging you to get too far apart. Stay with your buddy. And if you're thinking of using one to summon help, don't count on that either - as you and your buddy are often all the help you can hope for.

Thanks Dandy. That's kind of what I thought but it never hurts to ask.

Troy

Thanks Dandy. That's kind of what I thought but it never hurts to ask.

Troy
YVW, altho there are much better divers here to share opinions.

Jim is really right-on. Copying his post to print & share with friends would be a great idea, and I don't think he'd mind at all. I've been reading accidents here for years and it seems like the ones who die are almost always alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom