Diving for Megs, it's not winter any more!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pond skipper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have not posted here in a while, been busy working on projects in the shop and have not had time to do any diving. Today, I went back to a spot that was producing a few nice teeth for me this past winter. I got to try out a new light and I only wore one wet suite! The water is warming up. I did three dives in a VERY strong current, first dive nothing but some bones, second dive I got about a dozen small Makos (not pictured here cause I gave them to my boat captain) and the smaller 3.5" Meg, third dive I picked up three 6 inch Megs and a half within four feet of each other in some big rocks. They are a little banged up but still nice. One tooth has some very cool wrinkles/waves in the blade, a keeper for sure. I also picked up a lot of whale vertebra and two nice huge whale teeth. It was a good day!

Attachments

• 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 91
I have a trip scheduled in July to the Cooper River for my first try at fossil diving. Should be fun and interesting.

I grew up on Wilmington Island just outside of Savannah and was curious about where you do your diving. Lots of really thick black mud in the areas I am familiar with, so I am guessing up the Savannah River.

I dive several rivers around Savannah. Some of these include The Savannah, Vernon, May, Medway, Ogeechee, and Intracoastal waterway and several others. There is a lot of mud but I find plenty of teeth in these muddy rivers. This is something that I have an intense passion for. Who would not like to find a 2-5 million year old fossil and bring in from the river bottom to see daylight for the first time! Enjoy your trip to the Cooper. I am sure you will have a blast.

Did a few short dives yesterday and snagged these teeth. Visibility was zero and the current was ripping but I did get one really nice 4.75"tooth with a bent blade. The others are similar in size but a little banged up. Still an OK day and I had fun. Gotta go to a show this weekend so I won't get to dive again until Tuesday or so. By then the tidal currents will be slower and the vis should be a bit better. I also found some huge shells which I left on the boat but will post soon. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 223.JPG
    223.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 224.JPG
    224.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 225.JPG
    225.JPG
    377 KB · Views: 63
Nice, and any time you want to get rid of those pesky Mako teeth well you just send them my way! lol

So I do have a question though, if the bottom is mud like, is it fluff mud? and how do you work with that current? It doesn't seem like a river spike would be much use.

Aeromike, Digging down through the pluff mud to the gravel bottom pays off every time. Sometimes the mud is arm deep so you can get stuck and do not have to worry about the current so much. For current where there is a harder bottom I just use 35-40# of weight with my steel 120's. You just stay put like a big rock.

I did a few dives today in one of my favorite spots and pulled up these Meg teeth along with a piece of Mammoth tooth, some ear bones, vertebra, and a few other fossils and a huge piece of bone (35 pounds right now). On my first dive I found only the biggest tooth, this was great but on the following dive I picked up the other six teeth and the Mammoth tooth, on the third, I pulled out the huge piece of bone, it has a few small bite marks on it but nothing major.The large tooth is 6.22" and the nice one below it is 4.83" these are the better teeth and my personal favorites. The mammoth tooth is a real treat since I do not find many of these here for some reason. The vis was about zero, the current was running slow, and the water was just the perfect temp. Anyway, I had fun and hope you all enjoy. Thanks.

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 112.JPG
    112.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 113.JPG
    113.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 114.JPG
    114.JPG