Diving Hawaii: Big island or Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbissey

New
Reaction score
I will soon be moving to Hawaii and i can either live on the big island or maui. SInce i've never been to hawaii, i'm basing my decision on which has better diving. any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated. thanks, john

I was in Maui about 2 years ago and the reef was pretty dead. A bunch of crown of thornz came through and ate just about everything or at least the dives sites I was at. I am not sure how much recovered yet, but from what I heard this happens every few years. I haven't been to the big island so I can't comment on that.

I'd say the Big Island has the better diving.

Which side of the Big Island? Which area of Maui?

Kona (western) side of the Big Island has fantasic diving. I have not been to Maui.

I'm so jealous! How did it come to pass that you get to move to Hawaii and pick your island to boot? :)

As I was in Hawaii last month I can tell you the Kona coast of the big island is the most protected from the weather, since it seems to come mostly from the east.

HTH
--
Alan Miller
Underwater Photographer <°))))<....°.°.°.°.
http://home.earthlink.net/~uwphoto/
Live each day like it is your last because someday you'll be right.

uwphotoer:
As I was in Hawaii last month I can tell you the Kona coast of the big island is the most protected from the weather, since it seems to come mostly from the east.

HTH
--
Alan Miller
Underwater Photographer <°))))<....°.°.°.°.
http://home.earthlink.net/~uwphoto/
Live each day like it is your last because someday you'll be right.

We welcome you to the board as I see this is your first post.
I've dove on both the Big Island and Maui. I thought that diving on both is close as far as which one is better. On the Big Island you have the Manta dive, but then again Maui brings you close to the diving at Molokini Crater which in my opinion is some of the best in Hawaii. There are so many more divers that have experienced Hawaii than I but I can only tell you what I think from my perspective. As far as a tourist is concerned there is alot more to do on Maui than the Big Island.

caymaniac:
As far as a tourist is concerned there is alot more to do on Maui than the Big Island.

I was amazed by how dead the Big Island gets. I visited my sister there, and while we had a great time during the days exploring and snorkeling and such, there was pretty much nothing to do at night. It's way too quiet there for me. That may not be an issue, but I thought I'd mention it.

I did a nighttime snorkel with the mantas and it was fantastic! I was envying the divers who were down there right alongside them!

I'm going to have to say Big Island. The Big Island is a big Island, as a tourist there is still alot to do and the diving off Kona is fabulous!

The Big Island gets reliable manta ray sightings. I've did a dive site famous for manta rays on the Big Island twice. I saw seven the first time and six the second. So if you're into pelagics (there are also several good oppertunities to dive with dolphins, but I didn't see any when I was there), the Big Island is a great place to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom