Diving in Alberta??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone do any diving in Alberta? I did my open water a couple of years ago in Jasper, but I'm wondering if there is anywhere else in Alberta to go.

Darryl

Although the majority of Albertas lakes are man made, there are a few places to go. In Banff there is Lake Minnewanka and 2 Jack Lake. In Minnewanka there are a few things to see like to old site, some bridge pilings and the old town site. Here are some good pictures http://www.mossmanscubaventures.com/. 2 Jack Lake has a whole lot of nothing in it but is a good place to practice some skills. I hear Waterton has some good diving. This website has some good info on Southern Alberta Diving http://www.adventuresinscuba.com/html/alberta.html .

:confined:

I did the damn at Lake Minnewanka last winter on an ice diving course. It was a blast.

For Edmonton Area diving you might looking into the Underwater council:

www.albertaunderwatercouncil.com

All the dive shops set up trips to local lakes, Japser has several good lakes and the a wreck, called the Habica.

Twin Lakes is often used by Aquatek Scuba.
http://www.aquatekscuba.com/

Most dive shops also offer dive vacations like the one to God's Pocket in BC the I just returned (OMG WOW) from hosted by NorthWest SCUBA.

Blaine

dvleemin:
Hi,
Anyone do any diving in Alberta? I did my open water a couple of years ago in Jasper, but I'm wondering if there is anywhere else in Alberta to go.

Darryl

Hi Darryl, I am a fellow Alberta diver. I completed my open water in Jasper as well, then moved south and have done several dives in Banff, etc. There is Lake Minne****a in Banff National Park - has an old townsite and old dam deep down. The summer diving has brutal vis, but ice diving allows you to see forever! There is Forget Me Not pond which has a wonderful memorial to a fallen CPS officer submerged, plus the vis is great (very chilly though). Two Jack Lake has an old river bottom "trail" submerged that runs through the lake, good for nav practice and there are several other dive sites, but I don't have my log book here to refresh my memory! A good idea is to chat with your favourite dive shop operators and they'll have lots of ideas too, or you can private message me and I'll access my logbook to send more dives your way. Good luck and have fun!
Connie
:dazzler1:

fooks:
Although the majority of Albertas lakes are man made
Well, that might come as a surprise to a lot of people...

Anyway, don't forget Cold Lake, AB. We have club dive events every summer, ice diving, and a pretty decent nav course, to name a few things.

Yah, I've heard great things about Lake Minne****a, I really want to dive it but haven't had enough time to head over there yet. A sunken town is just too cool.

So what's the deal with blocking out part of the word minne****a here...I guess the server is set to filter certain words and this part of minne****a is one of them. Maybe someone should tell the administrator to allow the word
m i n n e w a n k a
since it is a real lake.

[Yerba Mate

So what's the deal with blocking out part of the word minne****a here...I guess the server is set to filter certain words and this part of minne****a is one of them. Maybe someone should tell the administrator to allow the word
m i n n e w a n k a
since it is a real lake.]
Man you have power when you speak they listen. :D

Derek

Back
Top Bottom