Diving in Aruba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
That's gotta be a little strange having a sister younger than your own kids.

In certain states, they could be the same thing. Sister, kids, whatever.

Never know.

You'll like Aruba, nevertheless. Bonaire is my favorite for diving, but Aruba has lots more to do topside.

Aruba is a blast. You'll have big fun, in and out of the water!
We dove w/ Pelican and were pleased.
Have a great time-
CK-

We were not yet certified when we last visited Aruba, so I cannot comment on any of the dive operators.

However, if you are looking at any activities other than diving. I cannot more highly recommend the half-day snorkel and sail aboard the Tranquilo. It was definately the highlight of our last trip.

Tranquilo is a 43 foot sailboat that takes a maximum of 16 people out 3 days a week. (I believe it is Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays.) You sail for two hours around the southside of the island to a private reef where you spend a couple of hours snorkeling and eating lunch. You then spend another two hours sailing back.

If you are at all interested, I would suggest you make reservations ahead of time as sometimes space can be limited.

Enjoy Aruba...

Other than the wreck dives like the Antilla, some of the best diving on Aruba can be done from shore. The best shore dive site I found was Puerto Chiquito, also known as Pos Chiquito or "Rocky Beach". You need a car as it is located half way down the south side of the island. You can ask any dive shop you choose to dive with to give you directions as it is the location of most open water training dives on Aruba. In fact, many of the boat dives are conducted off shore on this same reef which starts at about 10' and slopes down to over 100' and is the closest thing to a dive on Bonaire that we found on the island. The reef is large enough that you could spend an entire day there and not cover it all.

I got my Scuba certification (last summer)in Aruba, well I did my 4 dives. I thought it was amazing and the divemaster was great. I went with Pelican Adventures. My first dive was to the Antilla. That was pretty cool and it's also the largest shipwreck in the Caribbean. If you're going to do any snorkling, I don't advise going on a snorkle boat. They're just a waste of money. If you can rent or buy your own mask, snorkle and fins- you can just walk out into the water and see an abundance of marine life. There's so much to do in Aruba. Everyone loves it. Have fun in Paradise! :)

You will love Aruba. We went last year and liked it so much we bought a three-bedroom timeshare. (And I always swore I would never, never, never buy a timeshare because of all of the stories I had heard.) But we have two sets of friends we travel and dive with and we plan to go back to Aruba frequently. For days that you aren't diving, there is lots to do on the island.

JulieParkhurst:
If you're only diving for a few days Redsail sports is great. The diving there isn't the best but the wrecks are fun. We saw lots of frog fish and pork fish. Huge schools of reef fish. Etc.

I would stay away from them. The boats can quickly turn into cattle haven. They have contracts with the cruise ships so when they are in forget it. We had guys with us that cancelled their second day with Redsail as the first day was not a good experience as they were packed in like sardines.

I forgot to add the two guys were on free passes. Last year Red Sail forgot to pick them up from the hotel. When the divers called the shop the shop said they were on their way to get them. Upon arrival at the shop they were told the dive had been cancelled as there weren't enough people. :11: When they returned stateside they wrote to the company which in turn gave them free passes to use on the next trip. They were assured the next trip wouldn't have such problems....

Sorry Julie I have to disagree with you on the Red Sail thing. Here's some info you migt want to read before considering diving with them......

The Manager is not a diver, never mind an instructor . He has no interest in safety, but just filling the boats with as many customers as possible, hence lining his own pockets. The company advertise themsleves as an Instructor Development Centre, but do not meet the necessary pre-requisites to do so, i.e they do not have a Course Director.

There are always more divers arrive than planned, and way more than is comfortable and safe for the instructors. Due to staff shortages you may start a course with an instructor but the next day be scheduled to have a different instructor, and yet another instructor the day after that, hence there's no consistency.

When reservations are taken for the cruise ship divers, and resort Divers their sizes are never obtained. Consequently staff have to guess the sizes, which are mostly wrong. This delays the schedule and upsets the customers, making the staff appear completely disorganised. Recently, cruise ship divers have been collected by the dive boats at the cruise ship terminal in Oranjestad, therefore staff have to collect all the equipment (guessing the sizes), get the equipment on board and then go to collect the customers. Once the customers are on board, the equipment is then distributed. At this point it is generally discovered that the sizes do not fit, there are not enough weights etc etc. The boat then has to return to the equipment room at the Hyatt, to collect more equipment, and rectify these errors. The journey takes 25 minutes either way. Meanwhile, the customers become anxious and angry for having to wait. Many times the customers have arrived extremely late back to the ship.

The ratio of certified divers to Instructors or Divemasters can be as high as 17:1, far to high to get any proper attention from them. Certified Divers who have not been diving for two to three,( in some cases even fourteen years) are being booked onto dive sites which are far too deep for them. This is a safety issue. More importantly, divers have been booked onto sites which are far too deep for their certification level and experience. Consequently, the divers get into the water and panic, then refuse to dive, or they have problems during the whole dive, thus risking their safety. They have a bad experience and it puts them off of diving again.

Courses are being taught in time which is well below the recommendation, i.e. 31 hours are recommended for an open water course, (three to four days). The courses at Red Sail are being conducted within 2.5 days, due to the constraints placed upon instructors in the scheduling, hence important skills are being skipped. Open Water students are also being scheduled to do training dives at sites which are too deep i.e. Star Gerren is a wreck at 60 ft. This is 20 ft deeper than the maximum depth limit for the second training dive.

Instructors have had to complete skills on the top of the wreck, which lies at 36 ft. However, the wreck is a a small ship which is upside down, therefore the underside of the boat is at a peak and slopes on both sides. It is impossible to complete skills such as a fin pivot, regulator recovery and mask removal on an uneven surface with a student who has only dived once in their life, and are unable to maintain their bouyancy. Clearly they become terrified.

It is not uncommon for Instructors to have to conduct Open Water dive two with some students and Open Water Dive three other students at the same time. Both dives require different skills. Therefore none of the students get the attention they deserve and have payed for, for the sake of having to wait for others to do skills. How is all this possible to achieve when Red Sail only allow forty minute dives due to their chaotic schedule. Bear in mind students are also supposed to have a tour portion of a dive so that they enjoy their experience, and develop a desire to dive more.

Open Water and Advanced Open Water Students are being placed on boats at the same time as many certified divers, and Discover Scuba Diver Students, and it is not uncommon for one instructor to have to guide bwteen ten and seventeen certified divers and teach students on several different courses at the same time. I hope you can see, as I can that this is a major safety issue. Not only does it raise safety concerns it also provides a very poor image of the company to paying customers. Many of whom leave extremely unhappy.

There are restrictions on when the instructors are able to use the Hyatt Pool ( i.e. one hour per day between 9 am - 10 am) - weird considering the owner of Red Sail is also one of the owners of the Hyatt corporation. So, when the resort course students are collected from the cruise ship, they do not arrive at the Hyatt until 9.30 am. It is difficult to teach a resort programme safely within 30 minutes to large numbers of people.

Resort courses conducted in the afternoon, have to be done at the Marriott. This involves guests having to be picked up from teh Hyatt then taken to the Marriot, for the pool session, and afterwards having to go back to the Hyatt for the boat dive portion of the course. Once again the instructors have to guess the sizes of the equipment for the customers.

Due to the poor scheduling, the morning dive boats are always late arriving back at the Pier. This has a knock on effect. Staff do not arrive at the Marriott sometimes upto thirty to forty minutes late. Again, leaving customers waiting.

Due to the poor working conditions at Red Sail there is always a high turn over of staff. When new staff have arrived from various parts of the world No one gives them an orientation to the dive sites, and they do not get a suitable training period. Consequently, when having to guide divers they do not know the site and frequently get lost.

Two of Red Sail's boats only have one engine. Another boat keeps losing it's steering, to the extent that steering fluid has to be poured into the steering column whilst customers are on the boat, and sometimes the steering just does not work. One of the boats' ignition does not work, and has to be started by lifting the engine hatch, in front of all the customers and starting the engine by sticking to wires together.

Reservations constantly give customers the wrong departure time of boats, to the extent that having arrived at dive sites, staff are having to return to the Pier to collect waiting, angry customers.

It is only a matter of time before there is a diving accident due to sloppy standards, and scheduling.

If you care about your life, do you really want to be diving with Red Sail ?????

Try Clive at DiveAruba he's great, pretty much lets you do your own thing and lets air consumption instead of a certain amount of bottom time control your dive. Small boat and small groups mostly less than 5. I also agree that I really enjoyed the diving in Aruba.
greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom