Diving in Aruba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey ya'll
I spent more than half my life living in Aruba and agree with tarheeldiver however I would also recommend SE Aruba Fly N' Dive http://www.searuba.com/ . They to take smaller groups of divers and always have a large group of instructors and DM's on the boat. When I went back this past summer there was eight divers, 4 instructors, 3 divemasters in the water, one out of the water and the captin.... it could have been a one on one trip but we all stuck together of course. Bonaire of course has the better diving but I wouldn't count Aruba out just yet. There are plenty of things to see and like most places you likely won't see the same thing twice on the same dive (same place).
I also completely agree with Pro-diver with the RedSail blurb above! I have never been on a dive boat with the company and would never think of it either! I have worked on a few boats on the island and can tell you even from seeing their snorkel boats (RedSails) with what seems like hundreds of people crammed onto a small deck with only a few deck hands just doesn't seem to safe to me... I have seen the same thing on their dive boats and can't help but shudder at the thought of diving with them. They are asking for trouble with their numbers!!!!
AP

msange1:
Hi, my wife and i will going to Aruba in May. First time for both of us. We are planning to dive at least two days while we are there. Any info on good dive outfits and sites to see would be great. Thanks.
Mike :14:
Mike,
Check the photos in my gallery they are from my Oct trip to Aruba. The best thing about Aruba diving every dive is different
greg

I agree with Pro-Diver's very accurate description.....Having worked for Red Sail Sports I have many frightening and frustrating stories to tell. Stay away from them!!!

Go with Native Divers. Romeo and Vanessa are the Best.
I won't dive with anyone else.

Headed to Aruba in September.
Any thoughts pro or con on Mermaid Divers ?

I've got Clive's website bookmarked.

PePaw:
Headed to Aruba in September.
Any thoughts pro or con on Mermaid Divers ?

I've got Clive's website bookmarked.

Pros:
They are in a location that is easy to get to and easy to find by bus (if they don't pick you up for what ever reason, but most companies do!). They 'launch' from the marina in the middle of down town. The shop staff are quite friendly although I don't know them from a dive basis (only know them from their shop and the help that they gave me over the years). When they go out, there are not usually a ton of people on the boat so there is lots of room to move around and gear up (that being said, the boat is quite small compared to most).

Cons:
Cost! They are a bit more expensive that most of the other operators ... or at least they used to be... that's why I haven't been out with them yet (not by much though... I'm a student, every penny counts these days!)! They also don't go to as many different dive sites as some of the others out there. If you are planning on taking a class with them, most are indoors (the class room part) where it is a little cooler as it tends to get quite warm when there is no wind. Most companies have you sit outside (some in the shade) but by the time you hit the water you are leaning on the edge of heat exhaustion....

That being said, they people are great and their service is also wonderful! Personally, they would be the company I would choose my next time on the island. I grew up down the street from one of the owners and always when to their shop every time I had problems with my gear (they used to be located next to the Manchebo resort) and needed something fixed. They fixed everything right away and were great to talk to about diving, fish, snorkeling, the latest gear, you name it!!!

If you go with mermaid, let mw know what you thought about them!
Every time I head back to the island I try to take a different company and would like to hear someone’s opinion (from a dive point of view) of this company.

Clive is AEWSOME!

I would not go near Mermaid divers. They have had their affiliation pulled by Padi and Naui. Do a search to find out the reasons why.

Ontwreckdiver:
I would not go near Mermaid divers. They have had their affiliation pulled by Padi and Naui. Do a search to find out the reasons why.

Wow, your kidding!?!?!?!?!?!:confused: ... I take it that happened recently ... in the last two years? Been a while since I've been back. Went back this past summer for three weeks and dove with Fly n' Dive ... the year before I went with Clive and his crew. I'll get in touch with a few of my friends who still work out there and see if they can find any info that I may miss with a search!

Thanks for posting that, the last time I checked they were still listed on the PADI site... now I know ... great way to find out huh?

AP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom