Diving in Auckland, NZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbisjim:
I sense that if i have a dry suit I should concider taking it... Being i own a 3mm wet suit, and a dry suit only. Thanks for the information.

Got any dives you like to do?

Im a bit spoilt as I have my own boat and my main buddy has his own boat too. So we dont do any charters or shore dives. Cant really recommend any place that has not been mentioned before. PM me closer to the time you are coming over and I maybe able to take you out on a local dive or two.

jbisjim:
Got any dives you like to do?
Leigh Reef, Motuketekete on the reef that juts out toward kawau Island, Challenger Reef on Kawau, Crayfish Supermarket..not telling where that one is:D , Queens Head on Little Barrier Island, "The Cray Hole" on the north side of Little Barrier, The Canyon on Burgess Island which is part of the Mokehinau group, The needles on Great Barrier Island, Sail Rock, Simpson rock.....ok I could go on forever.

Mate I dive dry all the time, except when freediving with my speargun:D

Hey Andy.

Are we all go for Sunday?

Daryl I am having no joy finding you a drysuit. Hopefully Andy is having better luck. It seems that no one around here hires them out...

I have Lead you can borrow and two tanks as long as you dont mind ali tanks. Do you want air or Nitrox?

Packhorse:
Im a bit spoilt as I have my own boat and my main buddy has his own boat too. So we dont do any charters or shore dives. Cant really recommend any place that has not been mentioned before. PM me closer to the time you are coming over and I maybe able to take you out on a local dive or two.

Sweet thanks a bunch

Azza:
Leigh Reef, Motuketekete on the reef that juts out toward kawau Island, Challenger Reef on Kawau, Crayfish Supermarket..not telling where that one is , Queens Head on Little Barrier Island, "The Cray Hole" on the north side of Little Barrier, The Canyon on Burgess Island which is part of the Mokehinau group, The needles on Great Barrier Island, Sail Rock, Simpson rock.....ok I could go on forever.

Mate I dive dry all the time, except when freediving with my speargun

Thanks for the information I will have to dig up a good map and see where those are, thanks especially on the "Dry all the time" part. What is there to spear there?

Azza:
Hey Andy.

50/50 for me at the moment - I've not shifted my 'flu which I've had for three weeks. Was coming out of it on Friday, but spent the weekend vomiting up everything I'd eat. Nice.

If I don't dive, then will lend Daryl my drysuit and undies. Should be good to borrow a mate's drysuit if I do dive, but no spare undies.

jbisjim:
Sweet thanks a bunch

Thanks for the information I will have to dig up a good map and see where those are, thanks especially on the "Dry all the time" part. What is there to spear there?
You will need a boat to get to all of those spots. Charters will get you to a couple.
As for what to spear. Schnapper (snapper)27cm, Kingi 75cm, Kahawai, Moki (red and blue)40 cm, Leatherjacket, Goat fish are all fairly common. Make sure you know the size and catch limits and how to recognise them BEFORE you shoot.

http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Recre...nt+Areas/AucklandKermadec+Islands/default.htm

This is a link to the size and catch limits and seasons.

My advice would be to buy a book on local fish species when you get here so you know what is what. Also most dive shops and fishing shops will have a brocher outlining the regulations.

Azza:
Hey Andy.

Daryl I am having no joy finding you a drysuit. Hopefully Andy is having better luck. It seems that no one around here hires them out...

I have Lead you can borrow and two tanks as long as you dont mind ali tanks. Do you want air or Nitrox?
Hi Azza,

Thanks a lot for looking for a drysuit for me. I guess that's the way it goes. Might use Andy's suit since he may not be up for it by then. If it doesn't work out that there is a drysuit that fits, I'll bite the bullet and dive wet. You only live once. May as well go for it.

Ali tanks are fine. Nitrox is fine.

Really looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Daryl

AndyNZ:
50/50 for me at the moment - I've not shifted my 'flu which I've had for three weeks. Was coming out of it on Friday, but spent the weekend vomiting up everything I'd eat. Nice.

If I don't dive, then will lend Daryl my drysuit and undies. Should be good to borrow a mate's drysuit if I do dive, but no spare undies.
Hi Andy,

I hope you're well enough to dive on Sunday.

I have my fleece with me so there won't be a shortage there.

Cheers,
Daryl

Daryl Morse:
Hi Azza,

Thanks a lot for looking for a drysuit for me. I guess that's the way it goes. Might use Andy's suit since he may not be up for it by then. If it doesn't work out that there is a drysuit that fits, I'll bite the bullet and dive wet. You only live once. May as well go for it.

Ali tanks are fine. Nitrox is fine.

Really looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Daryl
I will drop the tanks down tomorrow and see if they will give us some ean32. Hopefully they can hydro my doubles and fill them before Sunday as well:D If not they have air in them so I will just have to deco to keep up, or down as the case may be.

If Andy can't make it then I will book us on Dive Tutukaka as they run everyday.

Give me a ring when you get in and let me know where you are staying and I can pick you up before sparrows fart on Sunday morning. We will have to leave by about 0500.

It would be nice to take my boat out but its still not back from the shop yet. They are rebuilding my engine and can't assure me it will be back by the wekend.

Cheers
Azza

Back
Top Bottom