Diving in Central Kentucky??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoL! I had to give up my love (my car) when I got married, couldn't afford both! Be fore warned!

FRP is bare bones, you need to get gear from a local shop and have full tanks since there is no compressor on site. Which shop are you getting your cert through?

I think Paradise Diver is where im going... Maybe I take up extra hours, once school starts back, ugh... wish i could jus scuba for a living, lol! AP courses are gonna destroy my life, haha. Maybe somewhere else is better for cert or something?

Don't forget guys, there's always Pennyroyal (quarry in Hopkinsville). They are full service with rental equipment & all. Pennyroyal is probably 2-3 hr away from you. I don't know what you consider close.

That sounds great, because I just dont think I can afford the gear now... Anybody know the address of Pennyroyal??

Here's the adress:
602 Christian Quarry Rd

Hopkinsville Ky, 42240

Phone (270)887-2585

Here's their web address:
Pennyroyal Scuba Blue Springs Resort

Dennis & Kris Tapp (the owners) are very good people. They have a full service dive shop with equipment, rental equipment, air/ Nitrox fills & service available. They have a few equipment set- up shelters, changing sheds & a bunch of picnic tables. Entries can be wade- in or giant stride. depths range form a few inches to 115ft. They are open Wed.- Sun. They have lots of attractions: Helicopter, RV, School bus, 1940's fire truck, several cabin cruisers,Vans, cars, boats, telephone booths,...... on & on. Just be aware that there is no running water, There are port- a- potties available, for when nature calls.

Here is a local map of the quarry off of the Pennyrile Parkway:

Attachments

• Map of Pennyrile Parkway to Quarry.doc
    26 KB · Views: 75
Wow, that sounds great, im super excited to go down there with a couple of people once I get my c-card.

Mitch

If I'm down there look me up. I'm usually there at Pennyroyal 3/5 weekends. Look for my trademark yellow drysuit. I will be there next weekend for some of our shop's Open Water check- out dives. After that I may be a little scarce for a while. I then have to work my "real job" the following 2 weekends, after that I have to teach an Open Water class at our dive shop. If that's not enough, I then go down to Florida to finish my Cave Diving class I started in February.

Also... A wetsuit is ok, right? Or should I get a drysuit for round these parts, usually water isnt bad round here...

It depends on 1. how easily you get cold, 2. how long into the season you want to dive & 3. if you want to dive deep locally (fresh water gets very cold here below 60ft), after proper training, of course. A 3mm wetsuit around here works decently well July- Sept. A thick 7mm wetsuit is good for April- June & Sept- Nov./ early Dec & for short deep dives. I dive my drysuit most of the time & dive year round here. I also like to dive deep & below 60ft or so the temperature is steady in the lower 40's year round. Be aware hat 40 degrees in the water is TOTALLY different from 40 degrees in the air. I know you said that $ for equipment may be an issue for a while. Be aware that a new wet suit generally runs $120- $400 depending on the manufacturer & thickness. Drysuits can run $1000- $3000 new. Not to say you can't find something cheaper here or there, but to give you an idea that drysuits tend to be much more expensive. With drysuits you typically need undergarments that can run form the thickness of a sweat suit to those that are as thick as a winter coat. I have 6 different undergarments for warm to very cold water. Also (hope I don't get flamed here), you should consider training to use a drysuit, as it is another air space to have to manage like having another BC. There is another option for colder waters & that is a semi- dry suit. It is essentially a wetsuit with seals & a zipper to further restrict water from flushing in & out. Semi- dry's run about $450- $600. They do let a little water in, but not much. Hope that helps you out a bit.

ALOT, i think im gonna go to the dive shop tomorrow and look around for a semidry. Or I might be able to get some good deals on them from my friend, thanks for all the info, hope to see u in the water soon

Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom