diving in china

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be in Shanghai for about 3 weeks this Spring. Anyone know of any diving in the area?

I am trying to revive this thread, as a quick scan of past posts show little encouraging info about good dive experiences anywhere in China. Posts about Hainan operators are several years old, but sound pretty poor in terms of operations. The links to some operators in Dalian. I will be living in Beijing for the next 6 months, and am planning on bringing all of my gear. Worst case is that I will need to travel to Okinawa or the Philippines for a long weekend trip, but I am interested in knowing what my best options are near BJ and also elsewhere (I'll likely be in several locations).

In addition to location, would be good to know what conditions to expect in the June-Nov timeframe. China-based divers - any positive dive reports of operators and sites that do accomodate experienced divers?

Thanks,
Louie

Hi Louie - sinoscuba is the only diving operator in beijing that I know of. He is on this board and has a website here.

Email him for what dive trips (both local and abroad) are currently planned.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Louie,
I am living her ein BJ now, and want to go diving. Not bothered where, and puddle will do (though some look really unappealling).
Hopefully going in the Aquarium with Steve from Sinoscuba at the weekend., Really looking forward to that.

Rohan,
Any diving up in UB, maybe ice diving at times? I am up there in a couple of weeks

Dave

China East airlines had reasonable fares when I flew with them this spring. All flights were in country though.

There are daily flights from Shanghai to Okinawa and also twice a week I beleive via Hong Kong to Okinawa. They are also supposed to be adding a Beijing to Okinawa direct flight soon.

Did the Aquarium today with Steven from SinoScuba and it was great. Lot of nice driendly fishies, turtles and you can stroke the sharks. Definately well worth the wait! I would recommend it to anyone stranded in Beijing so far from the sea.
And Steven is probably the best person around to talk to about finding somewhere to dive.
Dave

"Qian shui" is possible in China.

I was blown away by the amazing diving in Sanya, Hainan. When I lived there, some local operators did the equivalent of "discover scuba" for local tourists along Dadonghai beach.

But, if you speak Chinese, you can book a private trip with a local instructor and boat dirt cheap -- just ask for a "coach" "jiaolin" as they call them.

They took me all over the fishing spots -- shallow divers no deep than 40 ft, but amazing tropical fish life. The only problem was the dynamite fishing nearby -- I felt the concussion booms in my heart.

Then again, this was all 5 years ago. So who knows what is happening there now.

Hong Kong also has diving, but it is cold and low vis. A 7mm or dry suit is a must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom