Diving in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now the temperature is high 70's low 80's, really comfortable. The viz changes everyday from location to location. yesterday at Argentina we had about 15 feet, but 3 days ago at the bats we had about 30 feet and bullsharks and manta rays. Great dive. Yesterday it rained all day and todya the viz was pretty good at the local dive sites (argentina). As you can see, Costa Rica diving is very unpredictable, but fun!!!

Right now the temperature is high 70's low 80's, really comfortable. The viz changes everyday from location to location. yesterday at Argentina we had about 15 feet, but 3 days ago at the bats we had about 30 feet and bullsharks and manta rays. Great dive. Yesterday it rained all day and todya the viz was pretty good at the local dive sites (argentina). As you can see, Costa Rica diving is very unpredictable, but fun!!!

What time of the year does the water get up to 82+ and better vis?

3 days ago I had 82, the best viz is usually around December, but it is so unpredictable, I had a dive once in March with 84 and 90 feet viz, but this was really unique, and then my DSD wanted to go up after 20 minutes.................too bad.

I am staying at the Allegro Papagayo from July 4th to 11th. I would like to dive everyday, if possible, but I can't seem to be able to contact the hotel to enquire about their diving facilities (which is advertised on their website). I am also unable to contact any of the local dive operators to ask if they provide a pick-up service to the Allegro hotel. They don't seem to respond to e-mails, or their website contact page is defunct.

As I am leaving in just over a week's time, I am getting quite desperate now. Can anyone help with any advice or recommendations? I have tried to change hotels but have been told that is not possible.

Many thanks.

Lily

Staying at the new Hilton resort near Guanacaste; would appreciate suggestions of dive operators for wife and I; prefer easy, beginner to intermediate dives.
TIA!

Staying at the new Hilton resort near Guanacaste; would appreciate suggestions of dive operators for wife and I; prefer easy, beginner to intermediate dives.
TIA!

I found these links from one of the other Central America Forum threads about Costa Rica.

CRDP, the Association of Costa Rica Dive Professionals. We make Costa Rica a safe dive destination.
Deep Blue Diving Adventures : Diving in Costa Rica, Playas del Coco, Catalinas, Bats
Rich Coast Diving - Costa Rica Diving and Adventure

I'll be in Costa Rica July 5th to July 12th staying, and diving, with Ocotal Beach Resort. Happy and safe diving!

I am staying at the Allegro Papagayo from July 4th to 11th. I would like to dive everyday, if possible, but I can't seem to be able to contact the hotel to enquire about their diving facilities (which is advertised on their website). I am also unable to contact any of the local dive operators to ask if they provide a pick-up service to the Allegro hotel. They don't seem to respond to e-mails, or their website contact page is defunct.

As I am leaving in just over a week's time, I am getting quite desperate now. Can anyone help with any advice or recommendations? I have tried to change hotels but have been told that is not possible.

Many thanks.

Lily

Allegro is about 30 minutes from here and you can take a taxi to playas del Coco.
The dive center at Allegro is not PADI affiliated. In Coco you will find some dive centers hwo would be happy to take you diving.
You can send us an email at dive@richcoastdiving.com or check out CRDP, the Association of Costa Rica Dive Professionals. We make Costa Rica a safe dive destination.
Don't worry, Costa Rica is a relaxed place and you WILL be able to dive.

Brenda

Sub-Mariner thank you for diving with Diving Safaris not bill beards diving safaris as they are a travel and tour company. I would like to clarify that the other people that were on your boat doing her check out dives were with a PADI instructor not a DM, DS puts a DM on the boat for every 5 divers and are in the water with them while diving.Sorry you had a bad tme at the OGP.

My bad I should have clarified things a little more especially since my post was so long. Yes there was a DM for every 5 of us on the boat and in the water. The PADI instructor did the woman's individual checkout dives separate from us.

As for the Bill Beards/Diving Safaris thing its completely my fault. I bought the T-shirt you'd think I'd read it. But I want to give credit where credit is due. DIVING WITH DIVING SAFARIS WAS FANTASTIC a great crew and working boats, what more can you ask.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I had to cancel our October trip. After reading sub-mariners report I dont feel so bad now. I still want to go to Costa Rica sometime so I will continue to read this area of scuba board.

Thanks to all for your info.

Sorry to hear about your trip cancellation. When you can you should definately get to Costa Rica just stay somewhere else. On the upside (and everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) I believe October is the rainy season there and from wht I've been told you dont want to be there during the rainy season.

We were in CR last week and were lucky to stumble across Rich Coast Diving. Brenda, Martin and their team were awesome and made our stay really special. My wife and I are OW qualified but very new to the sport but Rich Coast made us feel very at-home and comfortable. Highly recommended if you are going to be anywhere near Playa Las Cocos.

Paul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom