Diving in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were in CR last week and were lucky to stumble across Rich Coast Diving. Brenda, Martin and their team were awesome and made our stay really special. My wife and I are OW qualified but very new to the sport but Rich Coast made us feel very at-home and comfortable. Highly recommended if you are going to be anywhere near Playa Las Cocos.

Paul.

I'll be there in two weeks. I'd really like to hear about the diving you did; what sites you visited, conditions, water temps, what you saw, etc.

Glad you had a good time!

We just got back.. diving was ok. vis was around 20 feet... 3mm suit was fine..

Don't use the Ocotal resort dive op.. they're 'tarded.. if you are unfortunate enough to use Ocotal, make sure you remove any items from your dive bag that you don't want dunked in a tub of nasty/soapy "water".

Also, one of the couples that went with us brought traveler checks.. they are worthless in CR.. nobody would take them...

AT&T phones seem to work most of the time. Verizon never worked

I was in Costa Rica last December for two weeks. We were lucky enough to be with someone who is from Costa Rica, but we were able to dive Cocos Island, which is an awesome experience is you get to do it. It is a long trip out to the Island, but the sharks that were there were amazing to be around. The visibility at that time was about 20-30'. I can't wait to do it again this year!

and one more thing.. they eat horse in CR.. so if you are served sausage with your breakfast and it tastes a little odd, it may be horse sausage..

I'll be there in two weeks. I'd really like to hear about the diving you did; what sites you visited, conditions, water temps, what you saw, etc.

Glad you had a good time!

Right now it is rainy season, but the viz is pretty good, about 30 feet.
The temperatures are about 80 F with some turmoclines.
We do loca;l diving everyday and then you get a chance to see the white tip sharks, rays, big schools of fish and maybe a turtle. We also offer the Bat islands at this time of the year. Here we always hope to encounter the bullsharks, mantas and eagle rays.
We do need 3 or more divers for the islands. Of course we can still go to the catalina islands, but the manta rays are not htere at this moment.
If you need more info please check out our web site
happy diving!

Just to inform everybody, traveller checks are accepted in Costa Rica, at least we do! Even if my wife gets mad at me when I do so, becauuuuuuse it takes about a month until the bank will credit the check to the account...and this is definately the reason why many won't accept them, besides the fact of having to cue for hours at the bank to deposit it!
YOU're the client and YOU have the choice of spending your checks somwhere else if somebody wont accept it...
Oh, and Ross, be careful you won't end as a saussage next time you visite Costa Rica ("Ross" means Horse in Swiss German :D).

Just to inform everybody, traveller checks are accepted in Costa Rica, at least we do! Even if my wife gets mad at me when I do so, becauuuuuuse it takes about a month until the bank will credit the check to the account...and this is definately the reason why many won't accept them, besides the fact of having to cue for hours at the bank to deposit it!
YOU're the client and YOU have the choice of spending your checks somwhere else if somebody wont accept it...
Oh, and Ross, be careful you won't end as a saussage next time you visite Costa Rica ("Ross" means Horse in Swiss German :D).

LOL... True.. even the one BANK we stopped at would not cash her checks.. however, a nice guy behind the bar did cash one of them out of his pocket.... The bank that we think would have cashed them had a really long line.. she got ticket 72 and they were on 48. so we left..

Don't get me wrong.. it was a cool place to visit.
and I took some cool pics (above and below) I may upload soon...

Hey rainmaker, thanks for diving with us! I do have to say your name???? Lucky for you most of the rain came after the diving.
Hope you had a good time!!

Rich Coast Diving crew.

I had a wonderful time, and really enjoyed diving with your great crew. Saw several sharks (including my first White Tip), and rays (including the largest one I've ever seen), morays and turtles on just about every dive.

I'll be posting a full trip report in this forum shortly.

I just recently received my DiveMaster training and rating from Deep Blue Diving in Playas del Coco in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Let me tell you a little about my experience.

I was in Costa Rica last December and wanted to do some diving while I was there. I am one of those people who trusts PADI and their ratings. At that time the only PADI 5 star Dive center in the Guanacaste area was Deep Blue and as I'm sure you know that is an important certificate. It basically assures me that I'm not going diving with anyone that is just mediocre, but an experienced, perfect air, friendly, talented, and successful dive operation. I always check PADI's website first, if they say that Deep Blue is the best then they are definitely the best.

So about my experience, I took a specialty course with Oliver ,the owner, in December completing my training for Master Scuba Diver. I was dumbfounded by the amount of knowledge that he poured into me, upon which I knew that if I was going to train for DiveMaster that it would be with Deep Blue as well. So I returned to Costa Rica this last June to take the 5 week course with Oliver. I can not put into words the amount of experience and expertise that is exuded by not just Oliver but the entire Dive Operation. These are people that don't live Diving but Breath it!!! I have never thought to have gained this level of experience in such little time. Learning from the best is something that has always been important to me and I can proudly say that I could not have gotten to the level of diver that I am with out a mentor as prudent and opulent as Oliver/Franzi and Deep Blue Diving.

I strongly urge anyone who wants to have one of the best dive experiences of their lives to not waste time looking around when Deep Blue is just around the corner.

I had the best dive experiences of my diving career at the Bat Islands with Deep Blue Diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom