Diving in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSloan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am on the last night of a trip to Belize and have been inspired to start planning another dive trip to Central America. It sounds like the diving in Costa Rica is very different (colder, more current, larger marine life). I have seen reviews for Rich Coast Diving and Costa Rica Diving. I was wondering if people had opinions on which of these two outfits to use (or others) and where the best diving is. I would love to dive Cocos Island, but it is too far for us. Any thoughts on what to expect from the diving? We are also looking for some place where we could pursue some other activities on off days (jungle tours etc.)

I would travel around in Costa Rica, so see more of one Dive location and especially
to see the exceptional beauty of the country.

The most beautiful place to dive is without any doubt Isla del Caño (naturally after Isla del Coco ).

Every dive operator believ strongly that their place is the best to dive... so...

All depends of you time and the period when you plan to come.

Chris

We are on the Pacific side of Costa Rica and right now it's great diving with a temperature of low 80' or 28 C.
We are pretty central and can arrange a canopy, tubing, hot springs, natural park, rafting and all, most tours are within 1 hour from here. You can find most info on our website or just send us an email dive@richcoastdiving.com
Have fun planning your trip and if I can help you in any way, let me know.
Brenda

Last year, I dove with Diving Safaris, Playa Hermosa. They were very knowledgeable and professional. The water was fairly cold (February), but the marine life was incredible!

Last year, I dove with Diving Safaris, Playa Hermosa. They were very knowledgeable and professional. The water was fairly cold (February), but the marine life was incredible!

I've been with them several times - great operation.

SS - If you like white water rafting (Brenda mentioned it in her post), you have to do the Pacquari :D I absolutely love that trip. It is so much fun and the scenery is awesome. :)

Anyway, I'd highly recommend seeing CR it is definitely an adventure. :)

I am thinking about going the week after Christmas to Drake Bay. I have read that the vis is better during the dry season in Drake Bay, but it is a little rougher. I want to make sure I am not going to show up and get blown out every dive. How are the waters around Cano Island at the end of December? What water temperatures should I expect? Strong currents?

I am thinking about going the week after Christmas to Drake Bay. I have read that the vis is better during the dry season in Drake Bay, but it is a little rougher. I want to make sure I am not going to show up and get blown out every dive. How are the waters around Cano Island at the end of December? What water temperatures should I expect? Strong currents?

Personally I've never been to DrakeBay - never sounded appealing enough in comparison to the other areas. Plus it is a heck of a long way with nothing much, that I know of, around.

We would be doing three two tank days at Cano with 2 days on land, 1 at Corcovado National Park and 1 just relaxing on the beach, probably not time for much else. When you say nothing around do you mean the diving is better in other areas or the land based excursions?

I never dove a a better location in Costa Rica than Isla del Caño,
nor from viz nor from spotting incredible masses of fishes.
Check my albums, the will say all...

The Water here in Costa Rica is mainly around 80's,
up in the north it could be some fresher, but it depends on the currents and termoclines.

5mm Wetsuits are more than enough here in Costa Rica, doing "normal" dives.
Here in Herradura, we dive the whole year around 3mm shorties or jumpsuits and feel fine.

Chris

The diving in Costa Rica definately depends on what time of the year you plan to dive.
We love diving all year round here, on the North-Western Pacific Coast (area of Playas del Coco) with easy access to the Catalina Islands, the Bat Islands and numerous local dive sites giving you the widest choice of dive sites in Costa Rica with fair conditions the whole year round.
If your main criteria is warm, clear and calm waters, I think this would be your best choice for Costa Rica:
March through September: Gulf of Papagayo (Playas del Coco)
September through October: South Carribean (Puerto Viejo), although it seems that for Caribbean diving it's much better from Mexico down to Honduras and in the Caribbean Islands.
November though February: South Pacific (Bahia Drake, even if it's kind of hard to get there by road and then by boat, this is the closest location to Cano Island and it's a fantastic destination close to the Corcovado National Park that you can visit by boat on a day trip (make sure to visit the Sirena Ranger Station with less people and therefore better chances to see wild life and take a naturalist guide with you, they will see a sloth where you do not even think of an animal...). Anyway, Cano Island can be dove from anywhere starting Jaco to the south.
Well, as conditions can change daily, don't take this information for granted, it's just an estimation based on mine and other traveller's experiences.
As for me, I have never dove a better dive site in Costa Rica than Black Rock at the Bats, which often has more fish than water...;-D and it's rare to find other spots around the world to dive with Bull Sharks! The best season for them is just about to start...
Pura Vida!

Back
Top Bottom