Diving in Cozumel; Your favorite choice is ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pleasan7

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Husband is buying me a birthday trip to Cozumel in April. My question is What would be a good choice for seeing either a 'a wreck' as I have never been down to one or 'Lots of fish' or a nice coral wall This is our fourth time diving Cozumel so if the crew on 'Dive House' asks - What should I say? I am a relatively new fish and my husband is experienced. I say fish because I would stay as long as there is air in a safe enough amount in my tank :)
Let me know if you know where this has already been discussed and I will pop over and read it there.
Thank you all up front.

As for the wreck, there is a military ship that was sunk in recreational depths. If you ask to go to "the wreck" they will know what you mean. I think there are some other wrecks but I believe they are deeper than recreational - will defer to the tech divers on that one.

The wreck is pretty open with lots of holes cut into it, and the whole site is real fun to visit, but the current at that site can be strong at times so your dive op may balk at taking you there if the current is really up that day, especially if there are new divers on the boat.

As for "lots of fish or a nice coral wall", hell you're in Coz, take your pick! Santa Rosa is a great wall dive. Palancar or Columbia shallows will give you a nice, long, shallow "fishy dive". But besides those there are literally dozens of options. Tell the DM what you want to see and they'll take you to it, after all they know the current state of the reefs better than anyone!

HelloMy question is What would be a good choice for seeing either a 'a wreck' as I have never been down to one or 'Lots of fish' or a nice coral wall This is our fourth time diving Cozumel so if the crew on 'Dive House' asks - What should I say?

It's definately been discussed....and if you ask 10 divers what the best dive is, you'll get 11 anwers. :wink:

C-53 is the wreck...184 ft long minsweeper/gunship. I've been there twice and never found there to be much current, but it's Coz so that can change.

Lots of fish? Nice coral wall? As DeltaWardog said...you can pretty much take you pick. Personally, anything with Palancar in the name....Columbia deep or shallow....Paso del Cedral....whatever, I like them all :D

Do the wreck first dive, then do Cedral Pass second dive. Tell divemaster you want to explore the small tunnels at the Pass, There are thousand of fish there but many divemasters will just take you along the outside of the coral formations. If you zig-zag over and through the formations it is one of the best dives. 55' max. If you don't z-z you will be out of the fun formation in 15 min then over a sandy area to a grassy plateau. I like to spend time on top and into the tunnels to find many small crabs and other things that hide. BTW it is a great place if there is a strong current since you can duck in many places.

To the best of my knowledge the c53 is the only wreck on the west side. I have dived it many times, only because other divers wanted to go. It certainly is not my favorite dive. I like looking at fish and especially tiny critters. As a new diver I think you would be more comfortable on a dive not involving wreck penetration. JMHO.

To the best of my knowledge the c53 is the only wreck on the west side. I have dived it many times, only because other divers wanted to go. It certainly is not my favorite dive. I like looking at fish and especially tiny critters. As a new diver I think you would be more comfortable on a dive not involving wreck penetration. JMHO.
There are two small tug sized wrecks in front of Cinco Soles just north of the downtown cruise pier. I found a huge green moray in one the other day. The area just south and east(about 100 kicks) of the closest tug to the pier is a debris field with small coral mound growth around it. This is where a gazzillion lion fish are hiding. The depth is about 25-30fsw. Current is usually light. can switch here so checking is necessary.

I would reccomend skipping the wreck.....unless you are just into that kind of diving....the coral/fish are much pretier and interesting to look at. :)

Something cool to see though is the canon balls and anchor down south.....Palancar Bricks I think is where they are.

Personal opinion only: I think my favorite dive site in Coz is Santa Rosa which is a great combination of all that Coz has to offer with regards to fishies and architecture with swim throughs. In general I dont love wrecks but if there is one dive in Coz that I DID NOT love it was the C53.

In general with Cozumel as long as you are wet you are probably on a great dive site and so you should just relax and enjoy the ride without worrying about the perfect site

Have fun !!!

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom