Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There goes the cheerleading, without even asking what kind of boat they prefer, and since he didn't ask for pros & cons, not many will give reasons for their recommendations - and critics will certainly not share from bad experiences.

As noted, it will depend on the arrival time of your ship, as many ops have set schedules. I'll also put my 2 cents in for Alison (Scuba with Alison) as she often has a flexible schedule and can accommodate cruisers. She has a very comfy boat that takes a max of 8; she allows you to dive your computer & air; and she's a lot of fun. We started off booking her on a cruise stop - liked her so much that these days we fly in and stay on the island so we can dive with her as much as possible.

I am getting married in late December. For our Honeymoon we are taking a cruise to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. We selected this cruise because of the dive spots. However, the dive excursions in Cozumel are all booked up. Does anyone know of a dive op that is good to book with when on a cruise?

If any of your wedding party is still with you, you can charter your own boat. Maybe you could pamper you new bride with your own boat and personal dive master.
Diving from Cruise Ships
When I was married on the island (in 2007) we charted our own boat for a dive/snorkel trip. We went to Columbia shallows and had an absolutely fantastic time. My mother never understood why I love to dive. After we chartered the boat she said she understood why. How can you put a price on that? It was great!

There goes the cheerleading, without even asking what kind of boat they prefer, and since he didn't ask for pros & cons, not many will give reasons for their recommendations - and critics will certainly not share from bad experiences.

Well, Don, he asked for an op that is good dealing with cruise divers. My answer was based on his question. I have seen Alison work with cruisers and their schedules. As for what kind of boat they would prefer, perhaps the Maximus might be ok for a cruiser on a schedule? After all it is a relatively big converted sport fishing boat providing a bit more room and comfort than the smaller 6 pack, while still carrying no more than 8 divers diving their tanks and computer. Of course it has the two large motors so it is one of the fastest boats out there, so a cruise diver on a schedule doesn't waste time on a slow commute. :cool2: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: Oh and you can rent the Maximus as a private charter too.

I am sure that Alison's is a nice Op from what I have seen on this forum. I do not know what her rates are as her site seems to be missing those. I once tried to go out with her but I was alone that trip, staying close to town, and was put off by the cab fees - altho I may have misunderstood where I had to go to meet the boat. And I still get the two marines confused by name, unless you use a location reference. Giving the guy info on where he has to go by taxi, how much to expect to pay the cab and the dive Op, etc. are good bits of info that could be offered.

So the Maximus is her dive boat? Info on it is also missing on her site, and I like that kind of info. One of the photos on her site references the Enigma II but again no info. I am ok on a small boat but do appreciate roomier, twin engine boats - and some do prefer even larger boats with heads even tho they are often slower. :idk:

I have tried one of the other Ops mentioned here and would not again, but that was several years ago so my info would be dated.

I am sure that Alison's is a nice Op from what I have seen on this forum. I do not know what her rates are as her site seems to be missing those. I once tried to go out with her but I was alone that trip, staying close to town, and was put off by the cab fees - altho I may have misunderstood where I had to go to meet the boat. And I still get the two marines confused by name, unless you use a location reference. Giving the guy info on where he has to go by taxi, how much to expect to pay the cab and the dive Op, etc. are good bits of info that could be offered.

So the Maximus is her dive boat? Info on it is also missing on her site, and I like that kind of info. One of the photos on her site references the Enigma II but again no info. I am ok on a small boat but do appreciate roomier, twin engine boats - and some do prefer even larger boats with heads even tho they are often slower. :idk:

I have tried one of the other Ops mentioned here and would not again, but that was several years ago so my info would be dated.

Her website is a little dated. The Enigma II is no longer a part of Scuba with Alison, just the big, ridiculously fast Maximus. You might see a picture around here and Maximus is on the site. She parks at Caleta, the southern marina. I don't know her deal on posting her rates. I will have to ask her. We always commute to the Caleta now. We started giving rides to anyone on our way, so come when we are there and we will pick you up. You can even ride up front as long as you yell "tope" at the appropriate time so I don't whack one at 60. (upsets the people in the back....)

And yes there is no head on board, but the trip from site to Caleta is faster than walking from the back of a slow boat to the head.....

Her website is a little dated. The Enigma II is no longer a part of Scuba with Alison, just the big, ridiculously fast Maximus. You might see a picture around here and Maximus is on the site. She parks at Caleta, the southern marina.
Many small businesses fail to keep their sites up to date, if not most of them. That makes it hard on the shopper. It sounds like she has a nice boat that she should feature on her site. I have to wonder why have such a fast boat for docking there and diving so close by, but shopping for a boat or a used car depends on what's available I know. :popcorn:

I don't know her deal on posting her rates. I will have to ask her.
Many don't, I know. :shakehead: I understand not wanting to be shopped by price alone, but I hate having to ask - and wondering if everyone pays the same, or do I need to dicker?

We always commute to the Caleta now. We started giving rides to anyone on our way, so come when we are there and we will pick you up. You can even ride up front as long as you yell "tope" at the appropriate time so I don't whack one at 60. (upsets the people in the back....)

And yes there is no head on board, but the trip from site to Caleta is faster than walking from the back of a slow boat to the head.....
Do you remember what a taxi costs from town to the southern marina? It helps to have more than one going of course. Do you really not notice the bumps on the yellow signs along with the word? :laughing:

Last edited:
Many small businesses fail to keep their sites up to date, if not most of them.

Indeed and in the line of work I do, I'm often tempted to offer my services. "Will program, for dives!"

Sorry, that is totally off topic and I totally have nothing useful to offer the OP except next time they should plan a land trip.... Cozumel is so much better that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom