Diving in Curacao, at Habitat Curacao-opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:eek:fftopic: And the relevance to a question about Habitat is? :focus:

Well, of the OP's four original questions, three of them were: "Anyone been diving in Curacao lately? How are the reefs? Healthy?"

H2O answered two or three of those; he/she has been to Curacao lately and felt the reefs were in great shape. The Marriott and Dive Bus bit was probably just enthusiasm.

Well, of the OP's four original questions, three of them were: "Anyone been diving in Curacao lately? How are the reefs? Healthy?"

H2O answered two or three of those; he/she has been to Curacao lately and felt the reefs were in great shape. The Marriott and Dive Bus bit was probably just enthusiasm.

For me the lead-in question about diving in Curacao was a pre-requisite to identify that we were talking about the right "Habitat", ie the one in Curacao, however I'll grant that the question about the reefs could be taken generically.
I had interpreted it as asking specifically about the Habitat house reef - Nos Cas - as did some others. :wink:

in the universe of off-topic posts on threads that didn't compare remotely if at all...

Hey mikey go read the original post before you open your mouth. The question not only was about Habitat
Learn to read

In post #22 I did already admit to a too narrow interpretation of the OP's question.

However I don't normally type with my mouth open so technically speaking your complaint is poorly worded. :D

So what exactly was your point in post # 20 other than to be an a** You obviously lack the ability to think and then type.
Also it was not a complaint it was a statement. It's people like you that that think they are better than the rest of us that kill these chat boards. Personally if I post a question I'll read and appreciate every answer because someone may post something, even some what off topic, that may be relevant to me. Since this was not your post originally why is it your job to police this thread and decide what is relevant and what is not.
Sorry everyone else for this rant. Lets get back on track and talk diving in Curacao. :cool2:

I stayed at Habitat Curacao a couple of years ago, loved the diving especially the Mushroom Forrest, the house reef was great, no problems with the food or accommodations. I found the dive boats were perfect and no additional cost for nitrox probably one of the better dive op's I have dove with, my only complaint I was the noisy fan in my room but no big deal :D

Is there a full moon out....

Anyways, we've been to Curacao twice in the last couple years and first stayed at Habitat. We thought Habitat had so much potential. I've discussed this with another SB member who retired there and lives in Coral Estates where Habitat is located. It wasn't a bad stay but there was some room for improvement. The food at that time was really bad but as of late (maybe the last 6 months or longer) I've read nothing but great reviews of the food. Do they still have the bitterballen because wow... I think I had a beef/goat burger there too.

Our room was decent enough, no major complaints. I wished the blankets/sheets were thicker because our AC worked very well and I was a little cold. We had a very clean bathroom, no rust or broken tile. We had a lower level garden room which was directly behind the restaurant, close and convenient for breakfast and close to the dive shop. The room had a nice outdoor patio area with a decent ocean view which I wasn't expecting. The pool area was nice, smaller pool with an infinity edge. They desperately needed to replace the wooden bridge/handrails in one section of the pool. They have two sets of steep stairs by the dive shop/area. The decking needed to be replaced/repaired in parts of the dive area. Hopefully they have repaired the dock which was wiped out a little after we stayed there. They have a nice shore dive area, I heard last year there were some viz problems while they were building up the beach but we had good dives there. There are no other hotels in that area so that's a plus in my book for being less crowded. The dive shop wasn't my favorite and they had a couple boat malfunctions but nothing too serious, now they have a new shop or name so that may have improved.

I would have stayed there again but then we discovered we love the diving more in Westpunt. Habitat was a good value and it sounds like they are making the improvements they needed. It's as if they had one thing in every area that could have been improved upon and it would make a world of difference. I would not have classified it as a dump though, even when we stayed there.

I stayed at Habitat Curacao a couple of years ago, loved the diving especially the Mushroom Forrest, the house reef was great, no problems with the food or accommodations. I found the dive boats were perfect and no additional cost for nitrox probably one of the better dive op's I have dove with, my only complaint I was the noisy fan in my room but no big deal :D

Well that certainly changed. IIRC we paid almost 10USD per cylinder for Nitrox. The policy probably changed when the dive-op changed.
As for the fan we didn't use ours. The room had a nice modern, quiet, split air conditioner.

..snip..
Our room was decent enough, no major complaints. I wished the blankets/sheets were thicker because our AC worked very well and I was a little cold.
..snip..

First night we froze because we arrived late & tired and we didn't manage to adjust the temperature setting so we just asked for blankets at the reception and they provided us with a couple of big ones.
The following day we realized that the A/C control was actually a remote control and you had to take it out of its wall-clip and operate it pointed at the front of the unit. :eek:hbrother:
With the clip being fairly new it was very stiff and we first had the impression that it was a fixed wall-mounted control.
After that we had no more problems.
We did find that others in our group also made the same mistake and shivered for a couple of nights. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom