Diving in current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Hitdbeach,

We just dove the C-58 wreck off Isla yesterday, and yup those surface currently were moving along pretty good!

One of our group of three had her secondary come loose as we were following a guide rope up current to the descent line. Between hanging onto the rope, not getting whacked by the boat during the rough chop, and trying to reposition her secondary almost 1000 psi free flowed out before we were able to help get things reorganized and opted to re-board the boat and reset things (no point in an 80 dive already down 1000 psi before we even make bubbles).

Due to the current our captain suggested that rather than monkey with the descent line to just go up current 100 or so metres. Our DM set up her compass heading, and we just did a negative entry and hit the target bang on (of course she said if the current carried us too far we ran the risk of missing the gun ship). It was far easier for our group of three than messing with that descent line with those surface conditions.

Hope that you enjoyed the wreck. It was quite busy with groups while we were there, but we also treated with a few eagle rays while were were blowing in the winds during our safety stop.

We also did a drift at La Bandera which had a wicked current. A few times didn't seem like any forward progress was being made lol.

Looking forward to finding some new spots to dive (el Tunnelo?) on our next year's trip to Isla.

Regards

Yes the wreck was great. We had it to ourselves. We also hit a pocket of eagle rays, about 20..maybe 30 that hung out the whole dive about 10 or 20 feet above us. They seemed to handle the current just fine..:) And yes the safety stop was interesting. Without the line we might have made it back to Isla in three minutes..or on our way to Cuba. I'd be interested if you found other good dives in the area. We loved Isla but for me the diving was meh. We're headed back to Coz in 4weeks for some serious make up diving. Peace

While not related to actually swimming on the wreck...

Have a game plan for what to do if your buddy gets blown off the wreck.
Have a spool and SMB in case you have to do a drifting ascent.

I'd be interested if you found other good dives in the area. We loved Isla but for me the diving was meh.

Enjoy Coz!

Agree that it's not the most dynamic diving there may be, and wouldn't necessarily book as a 'dive destination', but enjoy the island so much that I'll include lots of bottom time on our trip here next winter. La Bandera is a fun site to dive because it's two reefs that are like two lng laves of bread parallel to each each other with a wicked current running thru them. I hadn't dove in that type of condition (drift dives yes, but having to go back up against the current - doing a figure 8 around the reefs), so enjoyed learning how to handle them. Only 35 feet or so.

Think Isla provides a lot of nice and relaxing shallow dives where you can just take your time and soak in lots of the sea life. Think next time we'll try to get out to El Tunnel and maybe see if we can get a trip to the Cenotes.

Enjoy Coz!

Doc Harry, agree! Will be adding a spool and Smb in the event that one comes loose and heads downstream.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom